Headlight Modulator

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

MrSuperchicken1
Regular User
Regular User

Headlight Modulator

Post by MrSuperchicken1 »

I bought a headlight modulator, which requires you to unplug the headlights and then plug this modulator in between the plug and the headlight, but I cannot get to the back to the headlight very well, and cannot figure out how exactly to do this. Any help would be great, I called the dealership and they have never done one, so couldn't offer any help.
dasshreddar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: forzaruckuspcx
Color: black

Re: Headlight Modulator

Post by dasshreddar »

Any pics of this modulator?
If you don't want to take the whole headlight off, you should be able to get to the bulbs by reaching up under the headlight and remove the rubber boots that cover the bulbs.
The bulb's plugs are tricky so get your eyes/flashlight up in there and you should be able to figure it out.
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

Does a headlight/lamp modulator draw any more current than with the headlight being on steady? As well, are they legal? It seems that they might be mistaken for an emergency vehicle or someone flashing the high beams on and off ... which will make you more visible, but may not be according to law. Just wondering.
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Hi and welcome to the forum(s) :P
Haven't done it myself, but in NY law states we are good to go with modulators, back and front. Good safety idea imo, and worth looking into before the mod (o;
Here are a few manual snips that might help you (sorry, for the so-so quality)
Attachments
Front Cover 1.JPG
Front Cover 1.JPG (39.34 KiB) Viewed 5527 times
Front Cover 2.JPG
Front Cover 2.JPG (33.22 KiB) Viewed 5527 times
Headlight 1.JPG
Headlight 1.JPG (51.51 KiB) Viewed 5527 times
Headlight 2.JPG
Headlight 2.JPG (45.73 KiB) Viewed 5527 times
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
MrSuperchicken1
Regular User
Regular User

I appreciate the feedback. They are legal in GA. It has a light sensor, so only works in daylight- not night, which would be illegal. It doesn't draw any more current, only oscillates from a bright to dim shine. I will put pics of the Modulator- it is from Signal Dynamics and I got the dual harness with it since the PCX has 2 bulbs. I can feel get the rubber boot off, but cannot turn the light assembly to pull bulb and all out, nor can I feel how to unclip the wires. I really don't want to pony up the money for a shop to do it- much less a dealership. I have no confidence in taking any of the panels off- when I was installing a break light modulator, I cracked the piece that has the passenger grips. I had to buy some JB Weld epoxy for ABS plastic to repair it...so really don't want to break anything else.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

WTF is a headlight modulator?
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

gn2 wrote:WTF is a headlight modulator?
I had the same question (maybe not in the same terms). As my son reminds says, "Google is your friend." I checked it out and there is a good YouTube video showing it on both the front and rear lights. There is also a description above ... but a picture paints a thousand words so YouTube helps to fill in the blanks.
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

^^ With you kram about YouTube! I actually have the rear modulator sitting in my amazon cart. Still considering the purchase.
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
MrSuperchicken1
Regular User
Regular User

WhiteNoise wrote:^^ With you kram about YouTube! I actually have the rear modulator sitting in my amazon cart. Still considering the purchase.
I am glad I bought the brake modulator...flashes when I apply the brakes...draws attention to the fact Im slowing down or stopping! The Headlight modulator makes you more visible when coming towards someone- should help keep people from pulling out in front of you.
MrSuperchicken1
Regular User
Regular User

WhiteNoise wrote:Hi and welcome to the forum(s) Here are a few manual snips that might help you (sorry, for the so-so quality)
Is this for the PCX 150? If so, then does it state that the connector is an H5 style? The one I bought is an H4, so may have to exchange.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

I have a 125 scoot and shop manual. Pretty sure the 150 and 125 will be the same (o; Partzilla PCX 125 illustrations (150 parts are not listed). Take a look here & scroll down the pages: http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/H ... parts.html
Hope this answers your question(s) good luck!
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

gn2 wrote:WTF is a headlight modulator?
Yes what is it. Tell us
strkngfang
Regular User
Regular User

Post by strkngfang »

If I recall right, it makes your headlight like a strobe light to either increase visibility or cause drivers seizures. Not a big fan.
Dan
2015 Honda Forza- red
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Totally illegal over here.
Not to mention downright dangerous.
Flashing headlights means something completely different over here.
Well two things, but we won't go into that.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Here's a taste of both the front and rear modulator's. Not sure I like the front, only considering the rear. It's Show time!
dustin91
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by dustin91 »

Any idea what the US regulations are for these?
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

The headlight one is dangerous in my opinion as people flash their lights to let vehicles out of junctions etc. It could cause a bad accident resulting in a fatality. The brake light flashing would fail an mot test. There are flashing brake lamps on cars now but they only flash under very heavy braking and they are usually controlled by the traction system control unit.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

dustin91 wrote:Any idea what the US regulations are for these?
Haven't read it yet, but I will (I hear dinner bell ringing :P )
This is a printable version to carry, just in case one gets stopped ;)
http://www.webbikeworld.com/Motorcycle- ... -small.htm
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Agree that the "headlight" modulator is a bit crazed. Similar to the above linked video, a driver or even another rider sees flashing approaching them from a distance....not so bad, not so weird, but if seen within a short oncoming distance, like rounding a turn could be startling! In that last instance, I wouldn't want the opposing driver/rider "to look where he wanted to go" because he'd be looking at me (yikes!).
The "rear" modulator I see no harm, really. Do you?
I have been on the road and have seen both. Rear did not distract me. I immediately thought it to be a "seen" plus. The oncoming headlight flasher? Well, that made me stare at it. There ya go. I'm Not nixing the headlight version altogether, just giving that some more safety thought. Then again, if I'm questioning it's safety, then my mind should be made up. Case closed (o;