Broken Throttle Cable

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

zamorush

Broken Throttle Cable

Post by zamorush »

Hi Everyone. Since this is my very first post, let me first introduce myself. I am an owner of a 2013 Honda PCX 150. I bought it almost new (with 12 miles on it) of craigslist, and since put about 2k miles riding to work every other day. It is a great little scooter/motorcycle to get around, and I am amazed by the gas mileage.

Until couple days ago, I had absolutely no problem with it. On Wednesday of this week, i was riding to work, and while taking off from the light realized that I have no more power and throttle handle was moving freely. After about an hour, during which i got off the road, rolled it to the closest auto-shop, and disassembled the housing, i realized that the throttle cable has snapped at the handle.

The same day i called the dealer and asked him about that issue. Dealer said that it may be a factory defect, and they will fix it for free. This is great, except for i have no way of getting my bike to the dealership, which is about 20 miles away. Looking thru forums, i then though that I may replace it myself, since it does not seem to be a very difficult thing to do. This is where I ran in a tiny problem, which may or may not have very easy solution. And now, the ultimate question:

Does anyone know or have an educated guess, whether the throttle cable from 2011 PCX 125 will fit 2013 PCX 150?

It seems like a strange question to ask, however, consider the links below:

Throttle Cable for 2013 Honda PCX 150
http://www.eastbaymotorsports.com/fiche ... veh=135098

Throttle Cable for 2011 Honda PCX 125
http://www.eastbaymotorsports.com/fiche ... veh=137515

As you can see, the difference in price is 10x. This does not make any sense. I called the dealer, and he confirmed the prices. I think there is either a mistake in a decimal point, or this is what it is. Regardless, I am leaning towards getting a 2011 version, and trying it out. Can anyone comment on this?

Thanks
chucktuna
I'm up to 12 or 13 now...
I'm up to 12 or 13 now...
Year: 2013
Color: Black

Re: Broken Throttle Cable

Post by chucktuna »

Different part numbers so there has to be something different

But your right about the price difference. I'd say the 125 has the misprint though. $12 bucks is too cheap

Here is the 150's a bit cheaper:
http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/oem-part ... itch-cable

If the dealer is going to do it for free. I'd find a way to get it there!
Too many scoots..... 12 or so I think .
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019

Post by Alibally »

If its under warranty can the dealer not collect it?
dasshreddar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: forzaruckuspcx
Color: black

Post by dasshreddar »

Price difference may be due to length of the cable.
You should be able to use just about any throttle cable with similar length and the same size ends.
Just reroute the throttle cable through the body work with zip ties etc if it doesn't line up right, but don't kink the cable.
As long as you have smooth twist of the throttle you should be fine.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Looking at illustrations of both, it very much looks to me that despite the different part number, they are the same part or at least have the same end fittings.

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/13-2013-Honda-PC ... ~60_57.JPG

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Honda-PCX125-PCX ... ~60_58.JPG

If it was me I would be taking a punt on the cheap one.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

^ me too. Or if money allows, buy both, then return one not used. If still under warranty, let them pick up, fix and return. Good luck, keep us posted ;)
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
zamorush

Post by zamorush »

Thanks guys for suggestions. I think this is what I end up doing, i will spend $12 and get the one for pcx 125, and see if it will fit.

It would be much more expensive for me to deliver the bike to the dealer. I already though about it. Plus, at this point i am interested myself in taking it apart and replacing it.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Good for You! There's nothing like congratulating yourself after the fix is done! :P
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
PKrellner
Regular User
Regular User

Post by PKrellner »

I'm always worried about a breakdown especially when you're a good distance away from home or help. My PCX is new and doesn't worry me too much but I do have to get my ignition switch repaired since, at times, I can't get the key to turn. After a little wiggling around it's OK but I'm waiting for the day it decides to just jam up.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

PKrellner wrote:I'm always worried about a breakdown especially when you're a good distance away from home or help. My PCX is new and doesn't worry me too much but I do have to get my ignition switch repaired since, at times, I can't get the key to turn. After a little wiggling around it's OK but I'm waiting for the day it decides to just jam up.
Give it a squirt of WD40 in the keyhole.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

So you think the lock assembly needs replacement or is it just the key binding up in keyhole and not turning?Perhaps a bit of "lock ease" (put on the key itself before inserting into keyhole would lube inner parts & do the trick? Just a little goes a long way to loosen key lock mechanism. I would try it. Is your scoot still under warranty?
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I can't understand why it is so much more expensive, though while I was looking on the web for the part I came across a parts place in England that was selling the part dirt cheap. Still, I'm not sure they even ship internationally. Other than that, here is a place that sells it for $89.70, which is the cheapest I have seen in the States.
http://www.motorcyclegoodies.com/oempar ... itch-cable

(Here is the parts place in England...I think it is England. The price is in pounds....
http://www.diyspareparts.com/parts/hond ... 910kwn711/)
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I almost forgot. Check your insurance. Most motorcycle insurance has free towing.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019

Post by Alibally »

Se this. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151004748569
The pcx150 part number is different. The price for the 150 cable is ridicules.
PKrellner
Regular User
Regular User

Post by PKrellner »

WhiteNoise wrote:So you think the lock assembly needs replacement or is it just the key binding up in keyhole and not turning?Perhaps a bit of "lock ease" (put on the key itself before inserting into keyhole would lube inner parts & do the trick? Just a little goes a long way to loosen key lock mechanism. I would try it. Is your scoot still under warranty?
I'll try the lock ease or WD40 before I take it in. It is under warranty so if it needs fixing I'll be OK. The key seems to work if it's backed out just a little then it turns. We'll see what happens. Thanks for the advice.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

I know we are off topic, sorry. One more thing, what condition is your key in? Chewed up or anything off? A "newly" cut key may help as well.
Back on throttle...how's it going zamorush?
zamorush

Post by zamorush »

Sorry wasn't active for a while.

I received the cable about 2 weeks ago, and last week finally was able to install it. My PCX is finally up and running.

To get to the mechanical side of things. The throttle cable from PCX 125 is about 20 centimeters shorter then on 150, otherwise it is exactly the same. Well, it is also missing one clip. The cable on 150 runs down the steering column, underneath the gas tank on the left side, clips to the bottom frame where the gas tank sits, then clips to the frame where the engine sits, then around the engine and attaches to the pull lever. To make it work with 125 cable, i ran it just underneath the seat and just to the left of the gas tank, bypassing 2 clips, and just attaching it with the zip-tie. It works very nicely. Somehow, it lost a little play at the throttle lever, which i had with 150. I had about a 1/8th turn before throttle would engage. With this cable, i get engagement right a way. Does anyone else have this? I am wondering if may be that is the reason why it broke.

Overall it was a long process of replacing it. I had to take apart half the bike to figure out how it routes. Half of the fearing had to come off, as well as the seat and the plastic center. Took me about 5 hours (I am not a motorcycle mechanic, i only do mountain and road bikes)

Next step, I will write to Honda and let them know that there is no reason to have a price tag of $128 on that cable, unless they know that it is prone to breaking.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

zamorush wrote:Sorry wasn't active for a while.

I received the cable about 2 weeks ago, and last week finally was able to install it. My PCX is finally up and running.

To get to the mechanical side of things. The throttle cable from PCX 125 is about 20 centimeters shorter then on 150, otherwise it is exactly the same. Well, it is also missing one clip. The cable on 150 runs down the steering column, underneath the gas tank on the left side, clips to the bottom frame where the gas tank sits, then clips to the frame where the engine sits, then around the engine and attaches to the pull lever. To make it work with 125 cable, i ran it just underneath the seat and just to the left of the gas tank, bypassing 2 clips, and just attaching it with the zip-tie. It works very nicely. Somehow, it lost a little play at the throttle lever, which i had with 150. I had about a 1/8th turn before throttle would engage. With this cable, i get engagement right a way. Does anyone else have this? I am wondering if may be that is the reason why it broke.

Overall it was a long process of replacing it. I had to take apart half the bike to figure out how it routes. Half of the fearing had to come off, as well as the seat and the plastic center. Took me about 5 hours (I am not a motorcycle mechanic, i only do mountain and road bikes)

Next step, I will write to Honda and let them know that there is no reason to have a price tag of $128 on that cable, unless they know that it is prone to breaking.

$128!!!!!
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

zamorush wrote:Somehow, it lost a little play at the throttle lever, which i had with 150. I had about a 1/8th turn before throttle would engage. With this cable, i get engagement right a way.
There should be adjusters either at the handle or the engine or both ends so that the free play can be correctly set.
dasshreddar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: forzaruckuspcx
Color: black

Post by dasshreddar »

zamorush wrote:Sorry wasn't active for a while.

Congrats :D I knew you could do it ;)
20 cm shorter??? that's a lot...
try loosening the nuts at the cable end for a little throttle play if you like, I like to have at least 1 or 2 mm of play in my throttle. 8)