Bar end screwdriver size?

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Bar end screwdriver size?

Post by chicaboo »

Hey boyos,

Does anyone of your gurus know what size JIS screwdriver is required to remove the bar ends?
It looks to me like a no.2 or no.3, but I can't tell. :?

Gav.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Re: Bar end screwdriver size?

Post by WhiteNoise »

A JIS 2 feels pretty comfortable to me. Just tried it. But it's still up for grabs. I don't have a 3.
So who removed their's and what size?
Good luck Gav, I've read (and I'm sure you know), they are a biatch to break.
(I'm betting 2yous would take a hammer to the screwdriver to initially loosen them) whatcha think about that? :roll:
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

Thanks Mr Noise.
I don't think most people use JIS screwdrivers when they try to remove the bar ends, which would make things exponentially more difficult.
I'm trying to avoid having to buy the no. 3 size since the kits with that size cost 2.5X as much and then don't come with the no. 00 size.
I know I'd use the 00 all the time, so it makes sense to save money if I can while getting the most out of the kit I buy.
Still, if you think the no. 2 fills the screw nicely, that sounds promising. A no. 3 might not sit deep enough into the screw?

Cheers, Gav.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

You have a hammer?
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Post by GeorgeSK »

If you are not savage to 'git 'er done, I would suggest buying a #3: https://www.amazon.com/Vessel-125943-P3 ... TSCVY26KS5

I just put my Vessel +2 into the bar end, and it went way in. Fit was fine, but when I put an unknown P3 in, it filled the wings better (IMHO). The idea that the "Impacta" is designed as an impact screwdriver has a lot of appeal. Granted, one's need for a #3 phillips or JIS is limited, but if you need it, the right tool is always the better choice. If it is a #3, it probably is in but good (and, rumor has it in the case of our handlebar ends, with a dab of lock-tite or equivalent for good measure).

The bit of text at the bottom of this page is intersting: http://www.vesseltools.com/hand-tools/s ... ducts.html It would appear that modern quality phillips are pretty much JIS, especially if they come from Japan.
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

GeorgeSK wrote:If you are not savage to 'git 'er done, I would suggest buying a #3: https://www.amazon.com/Vessel-125943-P3 ... TSCVY26KS5

I just put my Vessel +2 into the bar end, and it went way in. Fit was fine, but when I put an unknown P3 in, it filled the wings better (IMHO). The idea that the "Impacta" is designed as an impact screwdriver has a lot of appeal. Granted, one's need for a #3 phillips or JIS is limited, but if you need it, the right tool is always the better choice. If it is a #3, it probably is in but good (and, rumor has it in the case of our handlebar ends, with a dab of lock-tite or equivalent for good measure).

The bit of text at the bottom of this page is intersting: http://www.vesseltools.com/hand-tools/s ... ducts.html It would appear that modern quality phillips are pretty much JIS, especially if they come from Japan.
Thanks for the link, George. That Amazon store actually ships to Aus! o_O
Unfortunately, all the Philips head screwdrivers I have are US type, and slip out when encountering any measure of torque you can't push back against.
It would be great to have a full set of JIS from #00-3, but they seem to stagger the kits to force you into buying either a single 00 or 3 for completion...
you you wrote:You have a hammer?
W: I have two hammers in fact. One imperial and one metric. ;)
DAB
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by DAB »

Other rides
Yamaha MT-01, Yamaha BT1100, Yamaha WR250R, Ducati 900 GTS, Honda VFR 750FV, Honda Forza 350
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

Thanks DAB,
I've already been looking at kits similar to this since you can kind of use them with an impact drill or 1/4" driver.
I may get a normal JIS screwdriver set from 00-2 and then a 1/4" bit set like that that includes a #3.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

chicaboo wrote:
GeorgeSK wrote:If you are not savage to 'git 'er done, I would suggest buying a #3: https://www.amazon.com/Vessel-125943-P3 ... TSCVY26KS5

Thanks for the link, George. That Amazon store actually ships to Aus! o_O
Unfortunately, all the Philips head screwdrivers I have are US type, and slip out when encountering any measure of torque you can't push back against.
It would be great to have a full set of JIS from #00-3, but they seem to stagger the kits to force you into buying either a single 00 or 3 for completion...
you you wrote:You have a hammer?
W: I have two hammers in fact. One imperial and one metric. ;)
:D left and right handed screwdrivers too?
aguim
Regular User
Regular User
Year: Forza 300
Color: red/2014

Post by aguim »

I first tried to remove the Forza's using my favorite non-JIS Phillips#3 screwdriver. They wouldn't
move at all, so I didn't insist. Then gave them a go with a 1/4"-drive little cordless impact+standard
#3 bit...and bingo they went out just-like-that. I put some anti-seize on top of the f,,,ing loctite
and screwed them back 'tight enough'.

Only wanted to make sure that next time, NO DRAMA over the suckers -- no, they won't fall down
if reasonably hand-torqued).
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

aguim wrote:I first tried to remove the Forza's using my favorite non-JIS Phillips#3 screwdriver. They wouldn't
move at all, so I didn't insist. Then gave them a go with a 1/4"-drive little cordless impact+standard
#3 bit...and bingo they went out just-like-that. I put some anti-seize on top of the f,,,ing loctite
and screwed them back 'tight enough'.

Only wanted to make sure that next time, NO DRAMA over the suckers -- no, they won't fall down
if reasonably hand-torqued).
Your right. They just need "cracking" to get over the threadlock.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

^^ Voila! "There She Blows!" (Moby Dick)
"By George, I think I've got it!" (?)
That's the ticket Gav! ;)
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
DAB
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by DAB »

As a stop gap, you can file a little off the point of a ordinary Philips driver, it will fit better.
Last edited by DAB on Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Other rides
Yamaha MT-01, Yamaha BT1100, Yamaha WR250R, Ducati 900 GTS, Honda VFR 750FV, Honda Forza 350
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

In that case I might get some JIS bits I can use with my impact drill.
At least then they shouldn't deform the screw as they're hammered off.
aguim
Regular User
Regular User

Post by aguim »

No JIS bits, here in Siberia. When I buy Phillips bits, I bring JIS bolts with me and check for fit.
Not one brand fits exactly the same. Last time I found a nice fitting #3, I bought the house.
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

aguim wrote:No JIS bits, here in Siberia. When I buy Phillips bits, I bring JIS bolts with me and check for fit.
Not one brand fits exactly the same. Last time I found a nice fitting #3, I bought the house.
Ya, but when I took my PCX in the store to try the screw driver in the bar end, the sales guy kind of frowned at me. ;) :lol: :lol:
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
aguim
Regular User
Regular User

Post by aguim »

kramnala58 wrote:
aguim wrote:No JIS bits, here in Siberia. When I buy Phillips bits, I bring JIS bolts with me and check for fit.
Ya, but when I took my PCX in the store to try the screw driver in the bar end, the sales guy kind of frowned at me. ;) :lol: :lol:
k58,

I see you have 2 rather old ones 2009/10. One thing interests me : how long do the brake pads
last on these? My Forza's rears last about 13,000 km, what about yours, on both the PCX and
Majesty?
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

aguim wrote:
kramnala58 wrote:
k58,

I see you have 2 rather old ones 2009/10. One thing interests me : how long do the brake pads
last on these? My Forza's rears last about 13,000 km, what about yours, on both the PCX and
Majesty?
So that we don't take this thread too far off topic, I replied to you here

http://hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=7179
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(