2017 PCX150 Rear Wheel Binding?

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

crex
Year: 2017
Color: Pearl White

2017 PCX150 Rear Wheel Binding?

Post by crex »

Just bought a 2017 PCX150 and have noticed a dragging at deceleration and difficult to push when stopped. When I put it up on the center stand and spin the rear wheel it barely moves a quarter turn before it stops. Is this normal, or is the rear brake binding? My other scooter’s rear wheel turns freely when up on the center stand..?
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: 2017 PCX150 Rear Wheel Binding?

Post by gn2 »

Not normal, a PCX rear wheel should turn fairly freely and it should be really easy to push around when stopped.
The only drag should be the final drive gears.
Try slackening the adjuster nut at the brake drum and see if the binding reduces.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
crex
Year: 2017

Post by crex »

Thought that might be what is was, adjusted and good to go...thanks!
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Sorry Crex, didn't spot it was your first post on the forum, so a belated welcome :D
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150

Post by homie »

Welcome... this has to be the first over tightened rear drum brake from the dealer. It's always been under adjusted to the point the brake lock didn't work in the passed. Your next question might be 'what's a brake lock' if you're outside the USA... are you? Place your general local in your profile when you get a chance :) Helps sort a lot of geography specific answers in this forum.
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: Black

Post by honkerman »

gn2 wrote:Not normal, a PCX rear wheel should turn fairly freely and it should be really easy to push around when stopped.
The only drag should be the final drive gears.
Try slackening the adjuster nut at the brake drum and see if the binding reduces.
Good catch Homes! wait...GN2...my bad.

I was thinking the same thing.

It's often something really simple.

A few years back. a guy bought a bike at a shop near me, trailered it home to New York, brought it back the next day, said he had ridden it for awhile and it shut off and wouldn't start up again.

The mechanic pushed it to the back of the shop, tapped the tank with his knuckle, nodded, filled it up and rode it back to the front of the store...Yeah, never overlook the little things.

Turns out the guy's previous bike had a bigger tank and he had no idea it would run out of gas so quick because his old bike ran longer...SMH...

Anyway, very glad that's all it was. If you're not familiar with MC brake systems, you would have no way of knowing.

Ride safe neighbor.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Lancaster County Pennsylvania
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
2006 Piaggio Beverly 250 (Rosa)
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: Black

Post by honkerman »

homie wrote:Welcome... this has to be the first over tightened rear drum brake from the dealer. It's always been under adjusted to the point the brake lock didn't work in the passed. Your next question might be 'what's a brake lock' if you're outside the USA... are you? Place your general local in your profile when you get a chance :) Helps sort a lot of geography specific answers in this forum.
it is a bit odd indeed. Quite possible they had a part timer come in to do PDI's (pre-delivery inspections). Might want to double check the rest of the bike just to be safe...and hope they actually do a full checkover at the 600 mile service.

Too bad you're not out this way Crex. I'd look it over for you as a kindness.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Lancaster County Pennsylvania
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
2006 Piaggio Beverly 250 (Rosa)
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider
Year: 2016
Color: Fast White

Post by alx123 »

Welcome to the forums. Mine was so loose from the dealer that I felt like it is not braking enough. A little adjustment made a big difference.

Also , got my PCX with just 20 psi air on both tires from the dealer.
Everything looks better from the inside of a motorcycle helmet...
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

Welcome. Glad the forums could be of help.

Stick around and get to know us. ;)
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(