Crush washers

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Re: Crush washers

Post by you you »

I have to admit, for peace of mind, I'd get a few washers and replace it. Treat the oil as an expensive flush and move on.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Whitenoise, your found my soft spot... amazon!!! Yes! I clicked on the link and ordered them. Thank You! I live on amazon.com when not on this forum :-)
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
cessna151
Regular User
Regular User

Post by cessna151 »

Even though you've already got them, i will second gn2's advice. I got them from my local honda dealer for less than $1 each. I bought several for future use.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Yep! :D mentioned that as well.
WhiteNoise wrote:Mel if you have a Cycle or Honda auto dealer nearby, visit their parts dept. Ask them for a 12mm drain bolt sealing washer (oem aluminum).
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Mr.Scooty
Year: 2015
Color: Black

Post by Mr.Scooty »

Same. picked up a couple at a time. if the washer looks decent i'll use it again. I think in a pinch I've reused about 5 times.
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

Mr.Scooty wrote:Same. picked up a couple at a time. if the washer looks decent i'll use it again. I think in a pinch I've reused about 5 times.
Mine is currently on 7 plus one 4k stint without any washer. Zero leaks.

I don't have any plans to ever change the washer.
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Post by PCX150Rider »

My Suzuki uses crush washers and when I changed the oil and filter yesterday I determined that it's probably a good time to replace it. The manual recommended to replace one with each oil change but I know I've reused that one at least twice already. Checked the parts drawer and voila I had one. But first, the old one had to be tossed. . ..

That being said sometimes they can be difficult to remove. So what I do is take something with a thin edge like a box cutter knife to pry the washer from the seating surface of the drain plug and move it up to the first thread. Once it's on the thread then I take a good pair of pliers and grab hold of the crush washer while I turn the drain plug using the socket wrench. Comes right off like a nut off a screw.

Proceeded to install the drain plug and fill the oil.

I put in the usual amount (bike on center stand) and then started the bike for a few minutes to let it go through the engine and new filter. After shutting it off I then noticed that the level had dropped a bit in the sight glass. So I added enough oil to bring it up to the top level and was good for go. Difference in capacity went from 3.5 qts. to 3.7 qts. after running the engine a few minutes.

I use the same procedure when I change the oil on the PCX (less the filter, screen clean instead). Drain, fill, check level, run, check level again, compensate accordingly. . .then ride. 8)