The Honda PCX / Honda Forza / SH Forums

Your predominant source of information for the Honda PCX 125, Honda PCX ESP, Honda PCX 150, and Forza. Now featuring a SH300i / SH150i subforum!
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Needed the Gloves Today
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:22 pm 
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Year: 2017
Color: White
Bit of a dip in the temps finally. Needed the gloves today for the short hops. Things will warm up for another week here and then it will be more seasonal. Almost forgot what that was like. 8)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:50 pm 
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

I wear mine all year around - gets a bit hot at times, but I figured they'd give my hands a lot of protection in the event of an accident.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:10 pm 
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Quote:
I wear mine all year around - gets a bit hot at times, but I figured they'd give my hands a lot of protection in the event of an accident.

Quite true! But I'm talking a range of 5 miles and all 30 MPH or less zones along the waterfront. I live in a resort area. Traffic isn't too intense. TBH I fear the deer at night and turkeys during the day more than anything else. When I go out of town though I definitely wear the FF Helmet and gloves and leather jacket if it's not too hot. I kind of need to get a summer riding suit that has good protection but is cooler. My Harley leathers don't have the padding but look cool. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:44 pm 
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

PCX150Rider wrote:
Quote:

Quite true! But I'm talking a range of 5 miles and all 30 MPH or less zones along the waterfront. I live in a resort area. Traffic isn't too intense. TBH I fear the deer at night and turkeys during the day more than anything else. When I go out of town though I definitely wear the FF Helmet and gloves and leather jacket if it's not too hot. I kind of need to get a summer riding suit that has good protection but is cooler. My Harley leathers don't have the padding but look cool. :lol:

Sounds a bit like my area. Friend of my daughter's got a scooter - she used to zoom around everywhere - no protection. I'd see her cutting semi-blind corners and speeding (she went past my drive once as I was leaving - I thought I'd follow her for a bit to see what her riding was like ... never caught up). It all changed the day a car pulled out from a park without looking -- whilst she was busy adjusting her mirrors. Not badly hurt, but took a few layers of skin off. Right or wrong I've always thought that if I'm at least wearing gloves (and a helmet) then I'd at least have some "options" during a slide on the road. I always carry a first aid kit in my top box too - with a generous assortment of wound dressings (thinking that I'll likely be the person they're used on) (almost needed to use it once when an elderly parkinson's sufferer "face-planted" outside McDonalds and opened up about a 6cm gash on his forehead).

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:15 am 
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Year: 2013
Color: red PCX
I have summer gloves and winter gloves. Most of the time the summer ones really fine. They have knuckle protection but the top is a venting type of material. The only thing that I would change about them is that I would want one finger for answering the phone. I have a touch screen. I don't answer while riding but when I pull over I have to take my glove off so that I can call back. If I had that material that some gloves have that allows for touching the screen on a phone or tablet, I could just touch the call back feature and speaker phone. Well, maybe someday. I have to have xl or XXL gloves because of my long fingers and thumb. It is hard to find ones that fit me.

Givi tall windshield and tailbox on both
Lots and lots of extra lights
Custom seats from Thailand
Bad boy Airhorn on each
Takegawa Lowering Shocks on both

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:29 am 
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

I've got a couple of pairs of leather "yellow" gloves like you would use doing yard work or farm work. I find them to be more visible when giving hand signals (always use both the signal lights and my hands) making turns. That being said I've also got black leather winter and all season riding gloves that have the straps on them and longer gauntlets which are less likely to loosen on a "get off".

Gloves are indeed a very important part of the gear.

I've seen more scoots around my area this season. Some old folks on Metropolitans or Vespas and younger folks on whatever they can afford. For some reason a number of the younger folks don't wear helmets and run the scoots like they are on a track. I guess they haven't had that first what the . . . OMG . . . moment yet. :o :roll: o_O :cry:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:19 am 
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Year: 2015 125
It's been suggested that the far cheaper 'work wear' style gloves made for cold conditions (freezers) which also offer abrasion resistance are far better than many of the expensive motorcylce gloves, which do not seem to be good around zero temps. Anyone know if this is the case?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:43 pm 
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red
Aerostitch has some nice gloves. Not sure how cold you can go in their insulated deerskin ones, but their "Competition ropers" are quite comfortable (although not much to look at).

http://www.aerostich.com/clothing/gloves

The Admiral got some battery-powered electrics: https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/fly ... ted-gloves

They work great, but I'm not sure how much protection they would provide (although far, far better than nothing).

I consider gloves pretty much like a helmet - don't leave home without them. Even on a bicycle at ten miles and hour, if you head for the pavement, the meaty part of your hand is probably the first thing that is going to hit, and it won't be pretty.

Please add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)

ImageImage

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:23 pm 
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Year: SV650AL7
Color: The correct one
Mel46 wrote:
I have summer gloves and winter gloves.

Me too, although its the same pair...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:25 pm 
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

gn2 wrote:
Mel46 wrote:
I have summer gloves and winter gloves.

Me too, although its the same pair...

One hand winter, the other summer?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:25 pm 
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

I use the same pair all year round. Added grip heaters to the bike a couple of winters ago; hands-down best investment I ever made.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:37 pm 
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Year: 2013
Color: red PCX
I am surprised at how little the riders wear who have those 50cc scooters. I saw one yesterday that had a bicycle helmet on! I would not want to be the test dummy for those helmets if they were in a crash. Most of those type riders also only wear shorts and a tee shirt. Forget gloves. Those are not necessary... until they are. After the crash is not the time to think about them.

Givi tall windshield and tailbox on both
Lots and lots of extra lights
Custom seats from Thailand
Bad boy Airhorn on each
Takegawa Lowering Shocks on both

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:50 pm 
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Mel46 wrote:
I am surprised at how little the riders wear who have those 50cc scooters. I saw one yesterday that had a bicycle helmet on! I would not want to be the test dummy for those helmets if they were in a crash. Most of those type riders also only wear shorts and a tee shirt. Forget gloves. Those are not necessary... until they are. After the crash is not the time to think about them.

Couldn't agree more. It's all "shits and giggles" until the brown stuff hits the fan.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:57 am 
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Color: White is faster
TheMaverick wrote:
... until the brown stuff hits the fan.

Or as one of my friends puts it, "Until the fit hits the shan." :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:27 pm 
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Year: SV650AL7
Color: The correct one
Or the faecal matter interfaces with the gyratory air circulation apparatus.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:29 pm 
Regular User
Regular User

Year: PCX150, 2015
Color: Pearl White
Did not buy motorcycle gloves, so with the onset of cold (5-15 degrees Celsius) wearing a winter leather gloves with artificial fur. In summer I go without gloves.