Hurricane IRMA

Anything and everything not related to anything else on this site.

Moderator: Modsquad

Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Re: Hurricane IRMA

Post by Jge64 »

Like I said, this one will re-write the face of Florida - this is downright chilling:

"FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. (AP) — They call it the Big One — a mythic, massive hurricane that would obliterate the densely populated southeast coast. And it has long been the stuff of Florida’s nightmares.

Irma, it appears, could be it. The storm has triggered near-panic in a region of more than 6 million people that includes Miami, Fort Lauderdale and West Palm Beach, clustered along a narrow ribbon of coastline that has seen nearly double-digit population growth over the past five years."

Rolling destruction.......
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017

Post by PCX150Rider »

Mel - I was thinking about Camille. . .hadn't heard much of it referenced lately in the news as one of the "All Time" bad ones. But I remember it was. I also remember the old B&W news clips of it. . .crude but they got the message across. Living in the Northeast it didn't impact us but I do remember it's reputation.

WN - Sad story about that Dog and her Pups. Stupid owner. . .mean people suck as they say. My wife and I stayed with a friend of hers on higher ground. . .and I do remember vibrating windows out on their closed-in deck. Trees cracked and fell in the street in front of that house. When the "Eye" passed people had run out with chain saws to cut a swath through the fallen branches so cars could get through until the town crew showed up.

Homie - Good video. . .and that's kind of how it is when these things happen. Sit and think and watch the storm creep across the hemi-sphere like a bug traversing on a ceiling. It's there. . .but not within squashing distance. Got to ride it out to see where it goes. . ..
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

homie wrote:
dgnyberg wrote:I've been watching the hurricanes on the Ventusky website.
It shows the predictions through various models.

https://www.ventusky.com
EXCELLENT! Nice website, if only we could get a historical overlay from the beginning of time it would debunk a lot of BS. Popping this into my fav's 8)
Eventually you will be the last person with this dillusion :lol:
dgnyberg
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: Black

Post by dgnyberg »

homie wrote:
dgnyberg wrote:I've been watching the hurricanes on the Ventusky website.
It shows the predictions through various models.

https://www.ventusky.com
EXCELLENT! Nice website, if only we could get a historical overlay from the beginning of time it would debunk a lot of BS. Popping this into my fav's 8)
I checked out Ventusky a little more to see if history was even possible.
If you don't mind A LOT of clicking, just click the previous button on the bottom.
I went back a couple of weeks. I have no idea how far back it will go.
I've been watching Hurricane Jose, and it doesn't look like that area will get much of a break!!

Dave
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Black

Post by dgnyberg »

homie wrote:Hurricane Party!!!!!!!!!

I keep seeing your mouse pad and think . . ."I didn't do that picture/video" LOL!!!

Dave
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

Cousin left Cape Coral yesterday. Her home sits on a waterway so she took to higher ground in Georgia. Her animals some valuables and her truck. Left the rest to blow including the cutest little Cooper convertible in the garage. She didn't think to have a flood plan for it and now it's too late. If any surge pushes up into her garage it's a goner. I didn't have the heart to mention bagging the little sports car at this point but that certainly should have been part of her plan. If you live in Hurricane alley I would certainly have these large plastic bags for dressers, small cars, motorbikes and I would even bag the mattresses because what are you returning to if no where to take a nap. I will get pictures of what survives, should be interesting.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

As most of you know, i live in Atlanta, Georgia. My nephew drove up from Tampa last night. 13 Hours! Roads are a sold line of vehicles, construction, accidents, and gas stations without gas. He made it finally at 3:45 this morning. He was exhausted and is still sleeping right now. It actually comes out to longer than 13 hours, but we didn't count time spent at rest stops and getting gas. I looked at my text messages and he left at 1:37 yesterday afternoon. His biggest complaint was that all of those old folks that couldn't drive very well in Florida are on the roads headed north. Thus the accidents everywhere.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

This storm since it covers the entire state will determine where I move down for retirement depending on what's still standing. I want to live inland ONLY and close to Orlando/Disney. Cousins boat is going to be toast this time I think. All boats are going to be battered from the looks of it except for Forest Gumpers that ride them out of harms way. Came here to Chicago from Tampa, rode out a few hurricanes but nothing this big over the entire state. Good luck Floridians ;)
Attachments
fucked.jpg
fucked.jpg (135.46 KiB) Viewed 1235 times
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jge64 »

Latest 2pm NHC shift spares Miami a bit, now it's the the diff between "utter total destruction" and just "catastrophic situation" for the metro. Certainly a "Sophie's choice" scenario for all of Florida.
Glen
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

Godspeed to those who are deciding to ride it out. . ..

As was said earlier today in a news cast relating to Irma. . ."This is as real as it gets. . ..". o_O

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news ... e-11137422
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

The latest news shows it hitting Tampa, but the Atlantic side will not be totally spared. They had some interviews in the Miami area, in a trailer park no less. Multiple residents there said that they will be staying, and that they have been through hurricanes before, so they will be OK. Anyone else know someone that stupid??
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jge64 »

Just released the most astounding news so far: the storm surge for Naples is now expected to be 10 to 15 feet. A large percentage of that city is going to be underwater
Glen
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Here I go..... :x
That BITCH has thrown a Curve!

Wow! One of my friend's in NY, have friend's that are lodging in a Fort Myers Hotel. Those same folks have a home nearby in Cape Coral. They just had that boarded up. The Bad news, they have no way out of Ft. Myers. No vehicle to travel in. Why? My understanding is that they flew down from NY a week ago to help someone there. Now they're Stuck in place. Praying and frightened, I'm sure.

How Unspeakably Awful.
Florida Westcoast Wipeout on the Horizon? :cry:
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Do like a lot of Georgia back woods folks do. Grab a lawn chair and some beer. Then just sit there and watch the action. Ain't nothin' going to happen to us, so we'll just sit here and watch the TV. :-/
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

It's going to be a wild Sunday, I might even skip Church to watch reports. What an event! Hurricanes are an extreme mental drain during the hours they beat your property and structure if you're unfortunate enough to be riding one out. Constant battering sounds, all the windows visibly flexing under the force is absolutely terrifying. There is no escape and where ever you chose to be is where you hope will protect you. Stuff flying around outside makes leaving impossible. It will be a hopeless feeling for those who are in it for the first time. You suddenly realize there is no one coming to save you no matter what happens to your dwelling during a seemingly endless chaos and bashing. Perhaps even for those who have experienced many hurricanes might find this one just too Horrific and surrender to fear. I did it once and that was plenty :roll:
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

homie wrote:It's going to be a wild Sunday, I might even skip Church to watch reports. What an event! Hurricanes are an extreme mental drain during the hours they beat your property and structure if you're unfortunate enough to be riding one out. Constant battering sounds, all the windows visibly flexing under the force is absolutely terrifying. There is no escape and where ever you chose to be is where you hope will protect you. Stuff flying around outside makes leaving impossible. It will be a hopeless feeling for those who are in it for the first time. You suddenly realize there is no one coming to save you no matter what happens to your dwelling during a seemingly endless chaos and bashing. Perhaps even for those who have experienced many hurricanes might find this one just too Horrific and surrender to fear. I did it once and that was plenty :roll:
and that was probably a category 1 :lol: Elana, I would have to check that.
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

Even 75 MPH winds can be quite damaging.

Add a lot of rain to that softening up the soil and the tree roots start to lose their grip and then they just lay over. . .if they don't snap first or lose the weakest branches.

I remember one time walking around in some high winds and rain going sideways with a FF motorcycle helmet on just to see what things looked like around the neighborhood. Seeing big branches laying around made me suspicious that anything could drop on me at anytime so I made the trip a short one.

Also experienced a micro burst one time. . .or some call it a wind sheer. It's like a Niagara Falls of cold air suddenly falling out of the upper atmosphere and then hitting the ground and literally splashing out in a straight line (like the water does at Niagara Falls). Anything in it's path usually gets damaged or moved. I couldn't see outside through the windows in my house at the time because everything was all white and smokey and turbulent.

As usual, I digress, but nature is God's free amusement park if you ask me. And the price of admission is very very expensive. :o o_O :roll: 8)
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

iheart app - news radio 970 WFLA Tampa
if like me you are working today.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Not working at home homie, but thanks ;)

Well it's Sun 12:49 am, and Irma's down to a Cat 3 hurricane but still huge and very dangerous. She will be on land this a.m. whilst I sleep.
Believe this, I feel guilty going to bed tonight! I will have the tv on 24 hour news till I doze off. Florida folks, they will be struggling to stay calm and praying to be safe. Even the best of earplugs won't help them from hearing everything they don't want to hear. It will be LOUD! :(

Goodnight Forum Friends and be Safe Florida Members. Please let us know that you're alright when you get a chance. My prayers are for ya'll tonight
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

@ homie, maybe think a bit more about moving to Florida again. You know, I know that after living there 15 years (both of us and not knowing each other) that we got a good taste of Mother Nature's strong hand in the South.
Ya know, I was wondering today how my previous home on Florida's west coast will fair this day. Then I sighed and said, thank God I'm not living those nightmare's anymore. I'm much safer right were I am. I can always visit Florida on her good days. Just sayin' ;)