Hurricane IRMA

Anything and everything not related to anything else on this site.

Moderator: Modsquad

WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Hurricane IRMA

Post by WhiteNoise »

The U.S. is in the midst of cleaning up the massive destruction that Hurricane Harvey left behind.
Too soon behind comes Irma. Bigger, Stronger, than Harvey. I respectfully, yet angrily say, She's a Dame, She's got Power. Too much Power. Unfortunately! :(

Massive in size, Irma a Cat 5 Hurricane is presently slamming the Carribean Islands. She's focused. She's on course. Her EYE set and moving towards the United States.
Where will she land? It looks like South Florida. If so She could cause a Possible Statewide impact.
Other travel avenues? Up the Eastern Coast Or into the Gulf?
We're Watching.....

ALL EYES ARE ON YOU IRMA! :x

Emergency
The State of Florida preparing and mandatory evacuation from the Keys in place as she approaches.

Please update this post in my absence folks. A lot of us I'm sure, have family, friends and business' in Florida. I do.

If you believe in prayer, please Pray
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Re: Hurricane IRMA

Post by homie »

I'm with you WhiteNoise! I'll be praying for Floridians. My Church will step up, Fema won't go broke. We Americans take care of ourselves. Something wicked this way comes ;) God knows there won't be any foreign aid for us... and we'll never need it with the Christian base in this country.
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

We will get catastrophic wind, not too much rain, but strong storm surge, east of US1. Our condo president is a retired JetBlue pilot, and hardwired into the NHC (Nat Hurr Ctr) They are scared out there.... No one has ever seen anything like this. It's the entire width of the state, so there's nowhere to run except if you want to go north. We have the potential for large areas of South Florida to look exactly like Rockport , Texas. We have handled lots of cat 2's and 3's, with not too much problem, but 4's and esp 5's are a whole different animal .....uprooted trees fly on cat 4's....and roofs on 5's....

Going out now to shoot drone footage of my neighborhood, for the "before" look.....
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017

Post by PCX150Rider »

The Red Cross is taking donations. I sent one recently to help with Storm Harvey survivors. Here's a link to their site. :geek:

https://www.redcross.org/donate/hurrica ... NwodTk8HpA
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

Most of the state is in panic mode and there is very little on the grocery store shelves and gasoline stations are running out with long lines waiting. I have been through many but this one looks epic, however things change when land becomes involved. Florida has been rebuilt in the past few decades and most newer homes should be OK with current codes in place. Flooding will be an issue in low lying areas, and of course the biggest pain in the ass is no power..food spoilage, high heat and humidity , and everything in between. I have my generators read to go but they can only go so long until they run out of gasoline. Hurricanes are natures way of cleaning house. They get rid of all the trashy homes , trees etc...its all about nature. When Texas gets rebuilt it will be a better stronger place. Its all about evolution..stay safe and protect yourselves as best you can.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

After it blows over keep an eye out for displaced gators
Attachments
images.jpg
images.jpg (4.27 KiB) Viewed 2803 times
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Hurricane Party!!!!!!!!!

PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

Easy Rider - keep us posted. 8)
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

Hurricane Party!!!!!!!!!
A lot of people still remember Hurricane Andrew from 1992. And then there was the "Homestead" situation.

I've ridden out a number of hurricanes in my life starting with Hurricane Donna back in the '60s and up through more recently Storm Sandy. Wow. . .it never ends. . .Storm Gloria was a PITA also. No power, downed trees, eating out of a can or whatever didn't require cooking. The most I went without power was 5 days. Too much carbon in the atmosphere. . .we've got to get off our dependency on fossil fuels in a hurry. The new technology available for nuclear power is much better than what was available in the '60s. We really need to go hydro, solar, and wind power in a big way also. In the mean time riding vehicles like a PCX or motorcycles in general is helping. IMHO. :geek:
dgnyberg
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Black

Post by dgnyberg »

I've been watching the hurricanes on the Ventusky website.
It shows the predictions through various models.

https://www.ventusky.com
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by easyrider »

PCX150Rider wrote:
Hurricane Party!!!!!!!!!
A lot of people still remember Hurricane Andrew from 1992. And then there was the "Homestead" situation.

I've ridden out a number of hurricanes in my life starting with Hurricane Donna back in the '60s and up through more recently Storm Sandy. Wow. . .it never ends. . .Storm Gloria was a PITA also. No power, downed trees, eating out of a can or whatever didn't require cooking. The most I went without power was 5 days. Too much carbon in the atmosphere. . .we've got to get off our dependency on fossil fuels in a hurry. The new technology available for nuclear power is much better than what was available in the '60s. We really need to go hydro, solar, and wind power in a big way also. In the mean time riding vehicles like a PCX or motorcycles in general is helping. IMHO. :geek:
I was there during Andrew and I can tell you Homestead looked like an Atomic bomb hit it. I seen cars rolling down the street end over end and telephone poles broke in half like tooth picks half way up.They never got the exact wind speeds because the wind meter broke off on top of the Hurricane center located in Miami. Looks like this one coming could be bigger. It will be a test for sure on all those new wind loading bulding code enactments they put in place. Interesting to see how well man(engineering) will do against mother nature. Perhaps we shall see very soon.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I was around when Hurricane Camille hit the Gulf Coast in 1969. To say it was devastating was an understatement. It flattened everything in it's path. I drove through there shortly after the hurricane and there wasn't anything left there but downed trees and the concrete slabs where houses had been. If you wonder what a category 5 hurricanes can do, look up Camille. I hope Florida does not get a direct hit.
If you live anywhere within the predicted path, pack up and go north! This thing is not a joke.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Thanks for that website dgnyberg, I saved it to my desktop for quick reference.

PCX150Rider that video showing Andrew's wake was sad to watch. I became a resident of FL a few years later. Somebody loves me.

I chatted with an old friend on facebook and I'm relieved to know that he and his wife have left Florida and are headed (North) to Tennessee. It seems a family member is having a Birthday. What timing!
Is it a blessing? Indeed it is.

"Fasten your seatbelts, it's going to be a bumpy night" (and then some Betty).

Keep praying homie and "hold" the vodka

EasyR, I've heard the roadways going North have been heavily trafficked for a few days now. Good to hear that folks are taking IRMA seriously. Better to be Safe than Sorry, as we've been told...there's truth to that. I hope you and your family get on the move should your inner self send that message. Listen
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

I would damn sure bag my bikes if you're leaving Florida for higher ground. Too easy to get your scoots out of harm's way.

Don't be this guy, I don't think he made it o_O

homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Motorcycle Vacuum seal bags... VACBAG Perfect! I will be having a couple of these in stock when I get down Florida town 8)

https://www.vac-bag.co.uk/motorcycle-vac-bag-jumbo.html
Attachments
bike2.jpg
bike2.jpg (13.78 KiB) Viewed 2756 times
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Puerto Rico apparently didn't build their town on dikes and levies. Taking nearly a direct hit from a cat5 last night isn't even complaining today. Some power outages... really? Waste of good vodka :roll:
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Quoting easyrider: "It will be a test for sure on all those new wind loading building code enactments they put in place. Interesting to see how well man(engineering) will do against mother nature. Perhaps we shall see very soon."

IMO, Mother Nature will Always Win. It's been her designated job before our time. She's the Authority here. Try as We may, and should we "win?" That would be Her choice.
My request: "Gee Mama, that would be mighty wide of you to throw Bitch Irma a curve right about Now!" Ok my plea is in!

Story:
Oh yes, G L O R I A....Sept 27, 1985 I remember her well. So much to do. So much fear, and quite a bit of loss.
I was living on Long Island at the time. There was No doubt that Gloria was coming our way and with a punch. Neighbors and self started prepping. We always helped one another but this time we had to do it ten fold and fast.

We Heard Crying.

Unbeknownst to my neighbor and I a Mama Labrador was left deserted by her drunken master across the street. No one bothered with him. "He was bad to the bone." I guess that's how Mr. drunk preps. The Bastard!
Onward....We ran over and found Keisha's (that's her name) bony body bound by chain to a patio awning post. She had walked herself around the post so many times that she nearly strangled herself AND, She chewed the chain trying to free herself breaking several teeth - All in the process of giving birth. Oh My God, who the hell does this? I'm getting angry reliving this! Just Sickening!
In a hurry, we freed her but it wasn't easy. Her 8 newborns were rolling about the patio. Another lay dead nearby, we buried her - Keisha by my side. I cried. I believe she did too.
All of them were filthy from lying in their own feces. No matter, no time...We gathered them up. Lordy, they were beautiful! One sported a blue eye the other brown. He would be My fav for the weeks that followed.

Wait, Don't get comfortable! Remember Gloria is On the Way!

Okay, we needed a plan. How will we save and protect them before, during and after the storm?
We then built "Puppy Palace."
I knew I had 1/2" plywood lying in my attic to be used as flooring. It was not yet nailed down. So we grabbed the boards, carried them across the street, another got nails. We all had excess roof shingles (assorted colors)...even leftover carpeting to use. Then out came the circular and hand saws, hammers. Ok, Let's get'r'done!
In no time we built a secure water tight structure with pitched roof and placed it up against the homeowners house. It had a very small door just big enough for us to reach inside.
We then gave Mama Keisha a few "get use to it" rehearsals, man she was soo loving and appreciative. God bless her! We layed wall to wall carpeting inside as bedding. And placed lots of food and water in bowls atop it. That outta doit we thought.
It was time. Inside they All went - Keisha and her clan. Not a word, not a whimper, not a fuss. They were Peaceful and happy. So Were We!

Now we were able to help each other secure our homes and outdoor living quarters. Plenty to do, but we got it All done before "Bitch Gloria" arrived. I remember doing a lot of pacing that day. Not sure were to go in my own home. I just walked the floors. My silly taped "X" windows were vibrating, I could see my neighbors Weeping Willow had fallen and was now lying on their boat. Their screen door broke off. No wonder, the latch never worked. Overlooked.
We all lost power immediately and landline phones were dead. Nothing for the following 6 days. All our food spoiled. The only gas you had in your vehicle was the gas you got before the storm. None to be had.
We lost trees, roof shingles, vinyl siding but nothing crashed on us. We were all good.
We came out during the "Eye" - yes we were in the "Eye" just to give a quick check on our Doggie Family. Everything held tight and they were snugged up with mommie.
Back inside for the other half of Gloria.
Prior to the storm I had bought an Echo gas powered Chain Saw. What a beast! Got my monies worth! That chain saw cleaned up the block. More trees were down than anyone expected. Again we worked as a team, while Mama Keisha and her (our) clan watched from behind chain linked fence. What a beautiful sight!

For weeks we continued taking care of all the dogs. Food was hard to come by, but we mixed and matched up a bit of chow each day. We ran a classified ad to get them all adopted (loving homes Only). Took awhile. I got my sis to adopt My blue eyed cutie, and my neighbor adopted Mama Keisha, the rest got homes too.

That's My Gloria Story. Not so Bad. Very Thankful infact.

Ask how great We felt,
We felt.....SOooo BIG
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by easyrider »

That's a great story.. Wished I was there to help.. but I think I would have given Mr Whiskey a lesson or two as well in cruelty.However it wouldn't have mattered..people like that feel no pain, they are truly the walking dead.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Very few people now will remember Camille. For those who do remember, please remember the outcome of those 17 college students who decided to have a hurricane party in a motel on the beach. Hurricane Parties are not a good idea unless you are far far away from the hurricane.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

dgnyberg wrote:I've been watching the hurricanes on the Ventusky website.
It shows the predictions through various models.

https://www.ventusky.com
EXCELLENT! Nice website, if only we could get a historical overlay from the beginning of time it would debunk a lot of BS. Popping this into my fav's 8)