eclipse...

Anything and everything not related to anything else on this site.

Moderator: Modsquad

homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

eclipse...

Post by homie »

Wife is bugging me to make viewers for her and her co-workers so is this the best I can do because Google warns not to use glasses out of Chi-na and go blind. Oh those rascals over at that other crazy superpower :roll: Please don't use anything that's not made in America to view the eclipse... good grief.

http://www.theskyscrapers.org/build-a-s ... pse-viewer
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Re: eclipse...

Post by WhiteNoise »

Good reminder!! Thanks for sharing this.
Funny, you just reminded me that my Dad (rip) made someting similar to this when I was a child. I laughed at it. It made no sense to me, it looked dumb and silly, But we used it to view assorted eclipse's. That dumb thing worked! How's that happen?

Lots of us will be tempted to gaze up at the Eclipse come Monday (only 2 days away).
On a Normal day the Sun's bright, and not that big a deal to glance up.
Monday, DON'T Do It!! Don't let a "normal habit" take over. It's Not a Normal Sunny Day.
Protect your eyes. We do it riding. Simples 8) right?

Okay, so who can suggest another means of protection? Is there one?
And noooo, not yer helmet with sun shield o_O ya silly PCX'er/4za folks
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

I'm tempted to do an expressway video for the whole thing as traffic won't be too bad at 1pm. I wouldn't be caught dead on side streets and thoroughfares on a bike when people are all looking up... be like the rapture only Jesus didn't come ;)
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Be the last time some of us will be witnessing this. This is the safest way for your grandkids to do it or they'll will just watch it on youtube :roll: so get going Grandpa! Kids remember this kind of stuff just like you do.

PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Post by PCX150Rider »

I'm tempted to do an expressway video for the whole thing as traffic won't be too bad at 1pm. I wouldn't be caught dead on side streets and thoroughfares on a bike when people are all looking up... be like the rapture only Jesus didn't come ;)
Doomsday 2012. . .remember that whole scene?

Homie - Thanks for the box instructions. I think I made one of those a long long time ago. I ended up just taking quick glances at the sky. . .it was kind of cloudy that day. Don't quite remember people getting all in a frazzle about it though. 8)
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

PCX150Rider wrote:
Homie - Thanks for the box instructions. I think I made one of those a long long time ago. I ended up just taking quick glances at the sky. . .it was kind of cloudy that day. Don't quite remember people getting all in a frazzle about it though. 8)
Some do get excited, If you're in the path this time and lucky enough to get the full effect I think it's worth standing still for and turning off the phone :D here's the path and the countdown. I would have to set out for the corner of my state to experience total black out.

http://www.eclipse2017.org/eclipse2017_main.htm
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

Some do get excited, If you're in the path this time and lucky enough to get the full effect I think it's worth standing still for and turning off the phone :D here's the path and the countdown. I would have to set out for the corner of my state to experience total black out.
We are supposed to get a 67% eclipse view here in CT. Not a total. . .however the weather forecaster on TV said the sky will darken a bit. If it starts to thunder and there's not a cloud in the sky then I'm going to start pouring whisky shots until it all subsides. :lol: :lol: :lol: 8)
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

87.8% at 1:19pm for me... change the zip code in the yellow text block to see your percentage and totality time.

https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/ ... active-map
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

71.6% @ 14:33:30
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

7.2 with peak time @ 2:46pm

Okay, last minute crunch. My sis wants me to make several home made viewers. Visiting Mom at Nursing Home tomorrow (actually, it's now today). No time for fiddling with that, I said. Soo, I asked the Google, "where can I buy eclipse glasses?" I then clicked one reference and read on....
To make your own viewer use something as simple as an index card. Then take a paper hole punch and put a single hole in it. With your back to the Sun, hold the index card out to your side and project the sun through the hole onto something solid, i.e. a wall, the grass, etc.
Say What!??? 8) HOW SIMPLE IS THAT?
(homie, keep smiling).

I intend on bringing a stack of these with me! At a dime apiece :lol: ...just Kidding.

Here's an old trick me Dad taught me:
Press your index finger and thumb together on each hand. Now bring both together to form a small diamond.
With your Back to the sun, Hold your diamond fingertips out to your side to project the eclipse on something solid.
Make sense?
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

There was a short How-to on local TV that showed how to take a cereal box a make one. The first requirement is to make sure the box is empty...hey, we have some really dumb ones around here. :-)
So, here is what they said to do:
1. Put a white piece of paper in the inside bottom of the box.
2. On the top cut out a square on each side of the box top.
3. On the left side, put aluminum foil over the cut out.
4. Put a small hole in the center of the foil.
5. When the Eclipse starts you will have your back to the sun. The sun will shine through the pin hole in the foil. You will be looking through the opening on the right side of the top as the image is displayed on the white paper.
6. Do NOT try to take a picture of the Eclipse directly with your phone. You will burn out your phone's camera or at the very least leave a burned dot in the lens.

So there you have it in a box (Corn Flake...or some other authorized cereal brand. :-)
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

How's it looking out there folks?
I'm Peering thru me kitchen window and it's looking different compared to other mornings. Hmm, How do I say it? A bit Darker? Not as sunny? Grayish?
ITSA COMIN' !!

T U R N AROUND! vv PUT YOUR BACK TO THE SUN!
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (34.82 KiB) Viewed 1739 times
djbass
Regular User
Regular User
Year: PCX150, 2015

Post by djbass »

Great photo!
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

At a quick glance it looks like the guy is standing on a cloud! :o :? 8) 8) 8)
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Just watched a live stream on YT in Oregon, I guess it would get cold really fast. Women looking for more cloths in the moments it passes. Something I need to consider if I'm going to ride it in about an hour. Really very humbling for people in as much as the things we take for granted and then BOOM! all could be very different.
Ronald5256
Year: 2012

Post by Ronald5256 »

homie wrote:Just watched a live stream on YT in Oregon, I guess it would get cold really fast. Women looking for more cloths in the moments it passes. Something I need to consider if I'm going to ride it in about an hour. Really very humbling for people in as much as the things we take for granted and then BOOM! all could be very different.
How was the eclipse for you I remember seeing it back in 1999 it got dark and things went quiet sort of spooky it puts things in perspective take us guys on hear chatting away about bikes and so forth not giving thought to the fact that we are sitting on a giant rock travelling through space at God knows what speed until something like the eclipse happens and we pause for a moment to admire the majesty of the mechanics of the universe at play I for one find it humbling

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Apparently a 90% eclipse is not enough... If you didn't know something was happening you would have missed it. I won't fall for that banana again unless it's 100% blocked overhead.

Ronald5256
Year: 2012

Post by Ronald5256 »

homie wrote:Apparently a 90% eclipse is not enough... If you didn't know something was happening you would have missed it. I won't fall for that banana again unless it's 100% blocked overhead.

That's a shame that it did not pan out for you as I said I remember it being so abnormal that to this day I remember what I was doing and where I was

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

Wow, I'll never see that again ..?
Attachments
IMG_20170821_140133416.jpg
IMG_20170821_140133416.jpg (812.22 KiB) Viewed 1722 times
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

It was fun to watch here. It was sort of like PacMan. In fact, it is just at this moment returning to normal. After it reached the point of totality we decided to go to the Target store right down the street in order to pick up some needed items. We pulled into the parking lot and there were a total of 6 cars in the lot. We wondered if they were closed. Nope, everyone was just staying at home and watching the eclipse.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers