Apple will block texting....

Anything and everything not related to anything else on this site.

Moderator: Modsquad

homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Apple will block texting....

Post by homie »

Apple plans to block texting from any moving vehicle

:o o_O :D 8) IT'S ABOUT TIME !!!!!!!!!!! DAM RIGHT!
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Re: Apple will block texting....

Post by PCX150Rider »

Finally! Countless lives will be saved and injuries will be reduced. . .. ;)
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

What about people on public transport or passengers?
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

PCX150Rider wrote:Finally! Countless lives will be saved and injuries will be reduced. . .. ;)
How hard would that be, should have been done right off. If you text someone who's phone is moving at speeds faster than walking you should get an auto reply UNAVAILABLE period. I love this plan and I can't imagine all phone providers wouldn't follow but I'm sure we will need to get government involved. This kind of government intervention I would applaud. Write the law PLEASE!

Too bad for public transports, they will just have to call it in old school. Texting and driving has become a scofflaw for non compliant people.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I think it is bad that passengers will be affected, but you would not believe the number of teens and housewives I see driving and texting every single day here. It is like an epidemic! That is not to say that the men don't do it as well, but many of the men are at work during the regular business hours. The blonde, bimbo, housewife-type women get to drive around in those huge tank-like SUVS while texting, and everyone had better get out of their way, because they are not looking at the road!
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

What about people on public transport or passengers?
Hey, I'm just an idiot, and Steve Jobs got Woz to put his dreams and visions into code, but I think there could be a way to create portals within trains and buses (like when you have to program a Roku to work on your home Wi-Fi system) for riding passengers. There could be a sign somewhere that says the input info so you can program your device to allow it's use for texting and enjoy the ride. When you really get down to it email and texting is like leaving a message on a phone when you call and there's "nobody home". But it's been migrated into this whole culture thing as a source of primary communication that when you think about is like the "horse and buggy" days compared to just "talking" to someone in the "NOW". You dig? ;)

I think talking on the phone is a much more rewarding and efficient method of communication and allows feed back right now. That being said, if a wagon load of people need to be informed about something you think is totally awesome or important for business or whatever then email and texting reaches a large number in short order. When they actually read the content is another thing. :roll:

For buses. . .you are on and off. . .is texting that much of an addiction. . .you may ask yourself. . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98AJUj-qxHI

For trains. . .totally a great idea if I may say so (cue the applause). . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HFCuBLAjXo

In general, to have courtesy for others, talking or texting on a device while driving should indeed be made technologically non-functional (except for some kind of emergency input on a special key). :ugeek:
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

I think it is bad that passengers will be affected, but you would not believe the number of teens and housewives I see driving and texting every single day here. It is like an epidemic! That is not to say that the men don't do it as well, but many of the men are at work during the regular business hours. The blonde, bimbo, housewife-type women get to drive around in those huge tank-like SUVS while texting, and everyone had better get out of their way, because they are not looking at the road!
See it all the time. . .couldn't describe it better Mel. . .and parking lots can be a menace! ;)
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Now that Apple has told the world they CAN do it... legal eagles will be waiting to take all cases against providers if they don't. I think the cats out the bag on this one, just a matter of time now.

Perhaps we will look back in a few years as having ridden during one of the most dangerous times in history for motorcyclist.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

As soon as they sort out texting and driving, go ahead and shut it off when walking too... before there is an open elevator shaft texting video :roll:

cold_surfer
Year: 2015
Color: pearl white

Post by cold_surfer »

will be a boost to android and samsung. My guess is that they will put a workaround like waze that results in more attention bypassing it, that can cause an accident. o_O Personally, I think cellphone dialing driving a car is bigger risk than texting. speach to text has improved. Im glad it is a company driving the change and not the government.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

cold_surfer wrote:will be a boost to android and samsung. My guess is that they will put a workaround like waze that results in more attention bypassing it, that can cause an accident. o_O Personally, I think cellphone dialing driving a car is bigger risk than texting. speach to text has improved. Im glad it is a company driving the change and not the government.
The non compliant Android and Samsung will be sued out of existence with our without government oversight now. Like I say Apple announced it CAN be done. Plus this comes on the heals of news recently that some states will pursue the rights to gather data whether or not someone was texting at the moment of a fatal accident. I believe this drove Apples announcement wanting to avoid more court battles over privacy issues.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Mel46 wrote:I think it is bad that passengers will be affected, but you would not believe the number of teens and housewives I see driving and texting every single day here. It is like an epidemic! That is not to say that the men don't do it as well, but many of the men are at work during the regular business hours. The blonde, bimbo, housewife-type women get to drive around in those huge tank-like SUVS while texting, and everyone had better get out of their way, because they are not looking at the road!

Yes we get that too.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Anyhoo who texts anyway? People use Whatsapp etc.
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

I think a good approach to solving this would be to put a Bluetooth or other signal blocker in every car manufactured . As soon as the car senses motion or the speedometer is activated the Bluetooth or other signal wave blocker shuts off the phone completely. No calls or texts would be available when vehicle is in motion. Once stopped or pulled over you can then use the phone.. This blocker would be exempt in trains , busses, and public transportation. Then riders would be able to use their phones while in motion.
This would add more cost to the car initially but realize a savings in medical costs, it also can be added to the OBD port rather inexpensively and incentivize its use in older cars by a nice insurance discount. Food for thought.. Big brother will always be watching !!!!!
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

What about those of you that drink coffee etc when riding? That can't be the safest thing in the world?
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

you you wrote:What about those of you that drink coffee etc when riding? That can't be the safest thing in the world?
The difference is...

Apple is volunteering on the heals of several states demanding access to data from phones involved in fatal accidents. Apple will comply and so will the others to avoid more privacy issues on their products. Elections are coming, watch how fast some politician uses this as traction for his platform and gets the government involved in making this law for all providers. Apple knew this was coming before they were forced to make this offer for the fix.

I believe it will be like cigarette makers youyou. We all knew cigarettes were killing us but until the makers admitted it legal action was limited... this changed today for all cell phone software makers.

To answer your question sir... legal eagles would take action for their injured or killed client if they could prove the accused driver was distracted drinking coffee but there isn't any deep pocket to pick in that case. Now if a deep pocket announces they can stop or fix something that's killing people they are either out of options back against the wall, stupid, OR actually going to do it and take their changes the publicity and suits will be far worse if they don't bust a move, get out ahead of it. :lol:

There has to be limits to this convent and wonderful technology if people are using it to kill themselves or others, Just not guns because then we have no technology and no recognizable country to us it.
JohnL
Ozzie Old Fart
Ozzie Old Fart
Color: Dark Red

Post by JohnL »

Here we are, planning all these security measures and extending police powers around the world against terrorists, while more people are killed every day by morons driving and texting.

It's a funny world. :x :(
mowzertron
Year: 2014
Color: Brown

Post by mowzertron »

Big problem in the UK too. Recently fines/penalty points increased (if caught using phone in first two years of holding licence you will have it revoked).

It's not going to stop someone texting at a stop light or junction, so only half solved problem. From what I have read the feature blocks unnecessary notifications while driving (will activate once connected to cars Bluetooth or manually by user). Can auto reply to texts saying you are driving.

Good idea and step towards safer driving. But not going to stop half the people I see using their phones, feature is optional and some people just cannot go 2 minutes without looking at social media.
ItBeMe
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Very dark blue

Post by ItBeMe »

Man and I was getting good at texting while riding my PCX.
I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it!
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

ItBeMe wrote:Man and I was getting good at texting while riding my PCX.
:D It makes me spill my coffee