Apple will block texting....

Anything and everything not related to anything else on this site.

Moderator: Modsquad

you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Re: Apple will block texting....

Post by you you »

PCX150Rider wrote:
I am one of them OLD people your talking about and me and the old farts I hang out with we drive like that just to scare the crap of you guys. Than we set around and talk and laugh what we did and laugh like hell about it. That's what us OLD PEOPLE do for entertainment.
Hey I'm no spring chicken either. As Nicholson said in the "Bucket List", "Never pass up a bathroom, never waste a hard on, and never trust a fart!" :lol:
:D :D :lol:
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Mel46 wrote:I will be 71 this year, and I know that I can not drive as fast as I used to be able to, but I CAN keep up with traffic, and I CAN tell the difference between the accelerator and the brake. Also, I do believe that I will be wise enough to know when I can no longer drive safely.

That's what you tnink :D
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

:D :D :lol:
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Post by PCX150Rider »

I will be 71 this year, and I know that I can not drive as fast as I used to be able to, but I CAN keep up with traffic, and I CAN tell the difference between the accelerator and the brake. Also, I do believe that I will be wise enough to know when I can no longer drive safely.
You've got a long way to go Mel. . .unless there is indeed a serious medical issue that crops up which inhibits your driving skills. All that military training will come in handy. ;)

My Mother, rest her soul, passed away at 92 last year and didn't agree to give up her driving until she was 91. She drove very well indeed. . .but she was aware that it was better to quit while she was ahead of the game. The only problem she had was that once in a while I'd have to help her with a jump start because she left the lights on and drained the battery when she went out to eat with her friends after Church. The '95 Civics didn't have a warning chime for leaving the lights on. . ..

So I took it upon myself to get her out of the house as often as she wanted for rides or to get groceries or whatever. Fortunately today more and more grocery chains are offering home delivery which helps out a lot of shut ins or elderly. :geek:
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

:lol: Mr. Magoo.... or Quincy if ya know him along...long time :lol:
Hey PCX'er's! How about a cool scooter name? Yeah, like "Mr. Magoo!" :D

Here's your Avatar! I cut him down to size, he's ready.
Just Save him to your phone, computer, ipad and there you have Him!
~Cheerio~
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (15.1 KiB) Viewed 868 times
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

WhiteNoise wrote::lol: Mr. Magoo.... or Quincy if ya know him along...long time :lol:
Hey PCX'er's! How about a cool scooter name? Yeah, like "Mr. Magoo!" :D

Here's your Avatar! I cut him down to size, he's ready.
~Cheerio~
Bit harsh on Mel.. :lol:
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Whoaaaaa....hold up now, no one's saying it's fer Mel. We have choices out there for the Magoo....could be You? (notice how I "didn't" put a "2" in front of You, Mr. Magoo?)
:lol: (have to say, I have myself ROFL) :lol:
Don't cha love laughing? It's the Best Freebie out there!
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

WhiteNoise wrote:Here's your Avatar! I cut him down to size, he's ready.
~Cheerio~
That's a keeper, off to my collection of avatars for sure 8)

Did you guys notice some of the suggested throw-backs in that Magoo intro? :lol: :lol: :lol: before women became so offended.

PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

More info on this subject which answers some of the controversial questions and concerns. :geek:

http://money.cnn.com/2017/06/05/technol ... index.html

If the video contained in the article here was already posted above I couldn't see it. Still trying to get my other PC replaced or fixed. :geek:
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

My android phone has had this ability for awhile..
http://www.droid-life.com/2014/01/13/mo ... e-driving/
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

My android phone has had this ability for awhile..
Just watched the movie Hanks did called "Sully". Wow. . .a real eye-opener. The investigation into the water landing didn't account for the "Human Factor". They were totally relying on the computer models of what Sully could've/should've done but at the end of the day he was right and the investigation was faulted. Adding an additional 35 seconds for the "Human Factor" of trying to figure out what to do next made the difference. At the end of the day Sully did everything right. . .along with his co-pilot. . .and made the right choice of not trying for an emergency runway. Saved 155 souls on board.

That's what concerns me about where they are going with these automated cars and trucks. That factor of reality that goes beyond all the data that the computers are filled with and all the scenarios they are programmed for will surely still cause death on the road because a sensor mis-identifies a motorcyclist as a mail box or a pedestrian as a road sign shadow. . .or whatever. Yes, they will have software upgrades and hardware improvements to fix problems as they occur but I sure don't want to be a victim of it. Getting people to stop texting while driving is a great start IMHO to build on. 8)
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

You made an excellent point.The future of auto everything will have many growing pains of which will involve many deaths I'm sure.The big problem is that this laboratory won't involve monkeys and dogs,but will involve actual humans.
mladyraven1
Color: Blue

Post by mladyraven1 »

homie wrote:
PCX150Rider wrote:Finally! Countless lives will be saved and injuries will be reduced. . .. ;)
Too bad for public transports, they will just have to call it in old school. Texting and driving has become a scofflaw for non compliant people.
So, on the days I am going somewhere I can't use my scooter and use the trolley my Iphone 6 won't work on the trolley? Can I still listen to music? Read off my Kindle App or is the phone going to be totally dead?
I agree 100% talking /texting and driving anything is insane! I hope all the phone companies follow suit soon.

Just wondering my daughters car has a hands free that allows her to answer the phone through the car radio, will that still work? Is this rule just for text or?? Thanks for the information.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I have the same question. I bought my wife a clip on bluetooth hands free device for her car. She uses it a lot. As for texting while driving, she waits till she is at a light to use the talk-to-text app to let others know that she is driving right now but if it is important they can call her.

PCX150Rider, what's wrong with your broken PC? Too bad I am so far away. I could probably fix it, or pull the hard drive and install it into a used PC, and you would be back in business in a short amount of time. No, I don't have a business doing that. I'm just a retired computer engineering who has built dozens of PCX. These days it is almost cheaper to buy another one, except for laptops. Those seem to be the direction many are going, but fixing them is a bear. I don't even try to fix those ...or Apple computers.
Of course, my wife has to remind me that I only have so much time, so everything ends up on a list. I wonder where I am on that list...now where did I put that list?? I need to add finding the list to my list...dang that old age thing!
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

I have the same question. I bought my wife a clip on bluetooth hands free device for her car. She uses it a lot. As for texting while driving, she waits till she is at a light to use the talk-to-text app to let others know that she is driving right now but if it is important they can call her.

PCX150Rider, what's wrong with your broken PC? Too bad I am so far away. I could probably fix it, or pull the hard drive and install it into a used PC, and you would be back in business in a short amount of time. No, I don't have a business doing that. I'm just a retired computer engineering who has built dozens of PCX. These days it is almost cheaper to buy another one, except for laptops. Those seem to be the direction many are going, but fixing them is a bear. I don't even try to fix those ...or Apple computers.
Of course, my wife has to remind me that I only have so much time, so everything ends up on a list. I wonder where I am on that list...now where did I put that list?? I need to add finding the list to my list...dang that old age thing!
Hey Mel, thanks! Kind of you to offer your assistance. . ..

I actually just bought a new tower at Best Buy Monday and got it set up yesterday. Here's a link to it ... was $150 off suggested retail and although not the newest fish in the pond it works OK for me now. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-envy-des ... Id=5759907 ;)

Out of 69 reviews it rated 4.7 out of 5 so that got my attention quickly. The video is built in I guess so I won't be doing any mods on it. :o

On my other PC that just locked up and stopped working (black screen, very bright steady LED on power button. . .no flickering like it's processing) I replaced the video card with a new NVIDIA GEForce GT420 128bit video card and that didn't solve the problem. So it's something else. I'll look into it further but I had to make a choice of replacing more parts and components while the $$ OTD keeps climbing until I find the problem or spend $$ now on a newer (although not super new) generation processor with a decent amount of RAM, plus card reader, CD/DVD burner, USB2 and 3, HDMI output, and 1 TB HD. The wireless keboard and mouse work fine but the keyboard is a little lackluster with no adjustments. So I'm underway on PC power again but will figure out what I'll do to with the older one. It was a great machine too. . .had like 18GB RAM and plenty of speed. Hope I can get the HD on it to spin so I can download the files to my new PC. :geek:
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Here is a link to one purchased recently, except that it came with a 1TB drive. I pulled the video card and 2TB hard drive from my burned out one, as well as the 2 TB second drive I had in it. Then I connected my 8 external hard drives to it and was back in business for $150. It was a return from lease. Oh, and I had some spare memory on hand which I added.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... lsrc=aw.ds
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
DanFromVegas
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: Black

Post by DanFromVegas »

Our car has Apple Car Play. One of the features is texting. The car tells you that you received a text. It asks if you would like it read to you. Then it asks if you want to respond. You speak and it texts. This isn't as distracting as it sounds. Also, the car will stay in its own lane, even in curves, and will follow the car in front at a safe distance. If it sees a hazard it will brake if you don't. Those are just some of the safety features.

Of course, it's a Honda ;)
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

I hope that's an acorn...
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

Here is a link to one purchased recently, except that it came with a 1TB drive. I pulled the video card and 2TB hard drive from my burned out one, as well as the 2 TB second drive I had in it. Then I connected my 8 external hard drives to it and was back in business for $150. It was a return from lease. Oh, and I had some spare memory on hand which I added.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... lsrc=aw.ds
Quite clever indeed! :D

I'm considering getting a USB linked enclosure for the old HD if it still works. That way I can use it as a back up and cable it to my new one. . .not to mention get my files back. I could use either USB2 or 3. :geek:

You spent a lot less money than I did but it sounds like you've had a few other PCs in the past as well. Remember Alta Vista? :lol:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AltaVista