No Standardization for Handle Bar Switch Location

Anything and everything not related to anything else on this site.

Moderator: Modsquad

PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

No Standardization for Handle Bar Switch Location

Post by PCX150Rider »

Today I swapped out my PCX for the 'ol Roughhouse to take a leisurely ride around town and discovered something I hadn't realized about the difference between the two scooters. . .don't know how it slipped past me in the first place. . .horn vs turn signals. :o

Recently I had been trying to get used to the location of the horn switch on the PCX. It's a large button and for the most part sits flush into the switch cover. I found myself to be a klutz the first few times I went to use it in a hurry to alert absent minded "cagers" and had either hit the switch cover surface or the turn signal switch in error. :roll:

Well, today when I took out the Roughhouse, the first time I went to use the turn signal I hit the horn button. It surprised me. And then it suddenly occurred to me that the turn signals and horn position on the Roughhouse and PCX are opposite. On the PCX the horn is above the turn signal button and on the Roughhouse the turn signal button is above the horn. So I asked myself why isn't there some kind of universal standardization globally for location of handle bar switches on MOPEDS, Motorcycles, and Scooters in this day and age? Even Harley continues to insist on that left handle bar/right handle bar turn signal thing. When you ride or own multiple machines it would be certainly more convenient, if not safer, to have the switches all in the same general locations, wouldn't you think? So when you go for the horn in a hurry you hit home. At 30 MPH you travel about 44 feet per second right? That's about the length of a medium sized house.

My two motorcycles both have the horn button located below the turn signal button. . .and it's clearly easy to get to with a thumb in a hurry. So when I got the Roughhouse it seemed quite normal.

I won't get into the using the brake vs using the horn and when and how much discussion because there are times when one must go all brake and look for that escape route and there is no time for the horn. And then there's the usual times when you get someone who's just a space shot and were never properly potty trained and continue to crap all over the world and they need to be reminded "NOT HERE!". :x

And another thing, all turn signals should be self canceling and have an audible sound to let you and anyone within about 50 feet know it's on. Just my two cents. . .. :geek:

Oh. . .one more thing. . .it reminds me of the '70s when riding British meant shifting with the right foot and riding Japanese meant shifting with the left foot. I'll never forget the time I rode a Norton 850 Commando with the one up and three down shift pattern. You really had to be on your game switching between different marques to adapt to their peculiar characteristics. :D

Raining again here. . .feels more like April than June. . .must be all that melted Ice Cap water cooling off the ocean. 8)
k2apache6.0
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Re: No Standardization for Handle Bar Switch Location

Post by k2apache6.0 »

The PCX has it ass backwards, every motorcycle I have ridden had the turn signal switch there and the horn in the other location, it still screws me up on occaison. I got a beeping flasher unit for the other issue of forgetting the signals are still on.
My PCX mod build here..
http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7113
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

It's no big deal. You'll get used to it in time.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

PCX150Rider on the topic of horn button placement (and then some), I thought you might enjoy a bit of this. Quite a different idea. Heck we liked these as kiddies :D BUT...We would have liked this one Much More! Hell yeah! (Demon smiley)

http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2400
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

PCX150Rider on the topic of horn button placement (and then some), I thought you might enjoy a bit of this. Quite a different idea. Heck we liked these as kiddies :D BUT...We would have liked this one Much More! Hell yeah! (Demon smiley)

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2400
WN - Totally awesome. Really loud too! Great idea. Makes me want to put my old "Ahoogahhh" horn back into action on my Jeep. May be able to use the extra battery tray as a good installation surface.

Time to put this 3-way horn on my B-Day wish list. It's a possible candidate for the 49cc Roughhouse and would definitely get peoples attention. Where is that sound coming from? It certainly can't be from the MOPED. . .can it? :lol:
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

PCX150Rider wrote:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2400
WN - Totally awesome. Really loud too! Great idea. Makes me want to put my old "Ahoogahhh" horn back into action on my Jeep. May be able to use the extra battery tray as a good installation surface.

Time to put this 3-way horn on my B-Day wish list. It's a possible candidate for the 49cc Roughhouse and would definitely get peoples attention. Where is that sound coming from? It certainly can't be from the MOPED. . .can it? :lol:
Won't you look/sound silly?
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

Won't you look/sound silly?
Looking silly is the least of my worries. . .life is a goof isn't it?

It's great to see people laugh and grin. Especially when they are confused and may not be sure why they are laughing in the first place. :lol:

Honk at Turtle Crossings. ;)
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Ah c'mon 2yous, itsa 50cc scoot or in our case (PCX) 125-153cc scoots and He has both.
This tinkerbell yesteryear horn is a hoot and it will definitely get folks attention and bring a giggle as well. Want to laugh more. I do. I think you do. I think we all do. What the Hell, I say doit!
Perfect fit on a 50cc, so cheers to that PCX150Rider (just don't sneek up on me, ya hear :lol: )
BAM! Oops! me pants r wet
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

P.S. At our age, anything goes. We've earned the right to turn the beat around and do it again, best we can, if we can. Don't much care what grumpies around me thinks. Have fun. Now....
Where's me tiddly winks?