Traveling Over Steel Grated Bridges

Anything and everything not related to anything else on this site.

Moderator: Modsquad

PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Traveling Over Steel Grated Bridges

Post by PCX150Rider »

I had my first ride tonight on the PCX over a steel grated bridge a couple of times and have to say that the somewhat narrow stock IRC tires do negotiate the irregularities differently than bigger motorcycle tires. The best thing for me was to hold on tight to the grips and as the scooter wandered and searched for it's path I just took charge with a big grin. . .. The swing arm and frame did it's best to remain ridged which is what I was hoping for. Some squirming but nothing outrageous. 8)

It was this bridge as a matter of fact. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lI1YI2BpGG0 o_O

The only thing worse than riding on a steel grated bridge is riding on a wet steel grated bridge. :lol:
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Re: Traveling Over Steel Grated Bridges

Post by homie »

Some road surfaces were not thought thru for motorcyclists. Grated bridge, polished concrete and temporary steel plates to cover construction holes come to mind first but I bet people can add a few more here. Situational awareness and experience go a long way towards not busting your azz out there. I once was pulling to a stop on the PCX when a simple flattened plastic cup caused the front wheel to slide like it was on ice. That took every brain cell I had to understand fast enough what the heck was going on.
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

And don't forget those wet leaves in Autumn! o_O
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I lived in New Orleans once upon a time, and I had to ride my motorcycle over the Mississippi River Bridge quite a few times. It is a steel grated bridge, and it is quite long. During 5 o'clock traffic it is difficult to get any momentum while moving across the bridge, so I had to put my feet out on both sides and 'ease on down the road' (bridge). When the bridge was wet it was quite difficult to negotiate. Even my boot soles were wet by the time I was halfway across, which made traction difficult. They definitely did not have motorcycles in mind when they built that bridge.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

When the bridge was wet it was quite difficult to negotiate. Even my boot soles were wet by the time I was halfway across, which made traction difficult. They definitely did not have motorcycles in mind when they built that bridge.
Reminds me of the old Newport Bridge in Rhode Island. That was a real gem to cross. . .even worse when it was windy. Fortunately I only had to cross it when I was out sightseeing. 8)
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

PCX150Rider wrote:And don't forget those wet leaves in Autumn! o_O
And Paint! Wet or dry.
I've been wanting to ride over to Jones Beach but it's grated bridge is narrow and runs one way on each side.
You drift in your car. Can't imagine my ircs on it. One day I suppose.
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Paint is generally fine in the dry isn't it?
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

Paint is generally fine in the dry isn't it?
From my experience paint in the dry isn't generally fine. Under the right circumstances it can be quite slippery. . .especially approaching at a downhill elevation change on a banked turn (like for a cross-walk or at an intersection). Plus that crack filler some municipalities use on asphalt can be slippery wet or dry as well.

Just had a news report tonight that in my area some contractor(s) or evil doer dropped over 2000 screws (different varieties) over a stretch of popular road between two towns. Somebody made it a personal effort to pick up as many as they could find (spot) and sort them out. Local repair shops have already reported people coming in with tire punctures. It's a great biking road and now I've got to avoid that stretch for the summer until things get straightened out.

Not sure if you can get it on your PC or not but here is a link to the local TV station story.

http://wtnh.com/2017/06/02/screws-causi ... -higganum/

As George Carlin would say, "AAhhh. . .It's always somethin".
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

o_O Just when you think you've heard it all...Bam! Now that's definitely stuff to avoid! A blanket of nails. I can't imagine coming up on all that. I applaud the individual who took the time to gather and remove them. Very nice indeed. "If" the spillage was intentional, that's a damn shame :| and "If" caught he or she should pay for every tire damaged with a New tire. Now tell me, does that hurt?

I hope avoiding the area doesn't put you too far out of the way for too long PCX150Rider. Bummer
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

Had a situation along I 95 where a barrel of roofing nails fell off the back of a roofing truck.. Cars along the shoulder for miles.. Major mess.