Deer Whistles

Anything and everything not related to anything else on this site.

Moderator: Modsquad

homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Re: Deer Whistles

Post by homie »

Might be some tomfoolery.

Early tests conducted in Finland indicated that canids, bears, deer and elk heard sounds emitted by the whistles because their ears moved. However, other investigators found the testing procedures were faulty.

In Utah, researchers Laura Romin and Larry Dalton detected no differences in responses from 150 groups of free-ranging mule deer to vehicles equipped with and without deer whistles. Although some deer ran away from the test vehicle, they did so regardless of the presence or absence of whistles.

A recent review of deer whistle effectiveness by University of Georgia researchers, led by Sharon Valitzki, came to similar negative conclusions: “Previous research on vehicle-mounted auditory deterrents was confounded by use of commercially produced devices lacking proper function and sufficient sound intensity to be audible to deer in roadway conditions.”

Apparently, some commercially available deer whistles do not produce sound of ultrasonic frequency, as claimed. In fact, some emit no sound at all under normal operating conditions.

http://www.deeranddeerhunting.com/artic ... collisions
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

homie wrote:Might be some tomfoolery.

Early tests conducted in Finland indicated that canids, bears, deer and elk heard sounds emitted by the whistles because their ears moved. However, other investigators found the testing procedures were faulty.

In Utah, researchers Laura Romin and Larry Dalton detected no differences in responses from 150 groups of free-ranging mule deer to vehicles equipped with and without deer whistles. Although some deer ran away from the test vehicle, they did so regardless of the presence or absence of whistles.

A recent review of deer whistle effectiveness by University of Georgia researchers, led by Sharon Valitzki, came to similar negative conclusions: “Previous research on vehicle-mounted auditory deterrents was confounded by use of commercially produced devices lacking proper function and sufficient sound intensity to be audible to deer in roadway conditions.”

Apparently, some commercially available deer whistles do not produce sound of ultrasonic frequency, as claimed. In fact, some emit no sound at all under normal operating conditions.

http://www.deeranddeerhunting.com/artic ... collisions

What do facts matter anyway :lol:

I wouldn't dare risk death on a scooty unless they were painted flouro in any case. :roll:
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Post by PCX150Rider »

It's all fake hogwash. . .just the body shops trying to make more money on deer strikes and lull the masses into thinking the deer whistles are a total waste. . .but I'm doing what's good for the PCX. . .not what's good for the body shops. . .and besides there's those other medical institutions that are going crazy and really causing people financial havoc too . . . and nobody is doing anything to stop them from bilking us. :lol:

Sorry. . .I couldn't help myself. Definitely duly noted about the test results. Even the experts were having a challenge trying to sort out fact from fiction. . .. :geek:

I read the entire article and it kind of makes me wonder if loud pipes do save lives. Might is right as they say. That Rolling Thunder gets anyone's attention. ;)

That being said I have noticed that deer grazing by the side of the road. . .especially at dusk or night generally will look up at me while they are chomping on veggies and then just watch me go by. A stag in heat isn't going to stop for anything and if they try chances are they will slide into you and bounce off and try to keep going. That happened to me in a F150. Got it's rack caught in my side mirror too and almost pulled it right off the side of the truck trying to get untangled. I was pulling up to a stop light at the time. . .go figure. It bounded off around the back of the truck into the woods. It was after that I started using the deer whistles and for whatever reason have been lucky so far. They don't seem to be effective for rabbits or squirrels or birds however. :roll:
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

PCX150Rider wrote:It's all fake hogwash. . .just the body shops trying to make more money on deer strikes and lull the masses into thinking the deer whistles are a total waste. . .but I'm doing what's good for the PCX. . .not what's good for the body shops. . .and besides there's those other medical institutions that are going crazy and really causing people financial havoc too . . . and nobody is doing anything to stop them from bilking us. :lol:

Sorry. . .I couldn't help myself. Definitely duly noted about the test results. Even the experts were having a challenge trying to sort out fact from fiction. . .. :geek:

I read the entire article and it kind of makes me wonder if loud pipes do save lives. Might is right as they say. That Rolling Thunder gets anyone's attention. ;)

That being said I have noticed that deer grazing by the side of the road. . .especially at dusk or night generally will look up at me while they are chomping on veggies and then just watch me go by. A stag in heat isn't going to stop for anything and if they try chances are they will slide into you and bounce off and try to keep going. That happened to me in a F150. Got it's rack caught in my side mirror too and almost pulled it right off the side of the truck trying to get untangled. I was pulling up to a stop light at the time. . .go figure. It bounded off around the back of the truck into the woods. It was after that I started using the deer whistles and for whatever reason have been lucky so far. They don't seem to be effective for rabbits or squirrels or birds however. :roll:
A good point well put. The scientific method isn't dead. :D :D :|
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

In talking with the mechanics responsible for repairing all the county sheriff deputy cars - they both confirm that the county no long applies the deer whistles to these vehicles which routinely patrol county roads after dark.
Why? - one joked, "the added cost of putting a new one on after another deer strike just P-O'd the Sheriff."
Fish
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

It's all fake hogwash. . .just the body shops trying to make more money on deer strikes and lull the masses into thinking the deer whistles are a total waste. . .but I'm doing what's good for the PCX.
I was trying to make light of the recent Global Warming issues circulating in the news. . .co-relating it to deer whistles. . .. Good thing I didn't try to make a living as a comedian. :lol:

On another note Harley is recalling about 57K big Harleys for improperly installed oil line hose clamps. Talk about Rolling Thunder. . .potato potato potato potato. . .. :o
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

Had my first "non run-in" with a deer today. I was approaching a wooded area near a golf course and there was a deer kind of hidden in a culvert just below the guardrail looking like he was getting ready to jump up and over into the road to cross. OMG the brakes on the PCX are really good. I just use them both in a hurry. . .no skidding. . .nothing spastic. . .just brought it from about 40 to 15 MPH in a real hurry. The deer then bolted in the opposite direction back towards the tree cover and brush along a cove. So I'm thinking maybe the deer whistles worked. . .maybe they didn't. . . but he did make a quick about face and took off. It was amazing how well he blended into the background though. I've seen deer in the same area many time before but seldom in broad daylight. FWIW I'll chock it up to one more close call. . .and that was all. o_O :D :lol: 8)