Politics and Music

Anything and everything not related to anything else on this site.

Moderator: Modsquad

Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Re: Politics and Music

Post by Mel46 »

I have converted almost all of my music albums to mp3 now, except for my Rubber Soul album, which I thought I had done but found out was done by a friend at a much lower clarity than I save them at. I guess I will have to borrow a friend's turn table again to finish up. I have around 12,000 songs converted and have not really made a dent in the music of the '60s and '70s. There was just too much good music made back then to remember all of it. The best I could do was get every single Beatles album, and some of the Rolling Stones albums. The rest was hit or miss. Santana, Jimi Hendrix, Moody Blues, Led Zeppelin, Johnny Rivers, Jethro Tull, Janis Joplin, The Grateful Dead, Foreigner, Jefferson Airplane...and the list goes on and on. Nobody listens to them any more so I just put on my headphones and remember the times past when they had more airtime than the sports figures of today have.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
relic
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red white

Post by relic »

Mel-WhiteNoise-stay forever young
https://youtu.be/GTK_9YrYNXk
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

Pandora, etc or satellite radio plays 60's without commercials continuous.
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Post by PCX150Rider »

Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Did I forget to mention Rod Stewart? I have 4 of his albums too. Easyrider, I have ECHO in my living room, so I can listen to classic rock whenever I want to, but owning some of the albums gives me that connection to the past that radio just doesn't seem to give me. I can't explain it, but when I have my headphones or earbuds on I can close my eyes and remember when I first heard the song or what I was doing then. They say that you know that you are old when you have many memories of the past, but few memories of the present that you think are worth keeping. When it comes to music, I guess I am that way. Don't get me wrong, there are some good artists today, but there were far more great artists in the past, especially in the '60s and '70s. Imagine a time when the music flowed so easily that every day brought a new artist or a new song. Even silly TV shows that did not mean to bring good music to the world as their primary goal, such as The Monkees, ended up with a great band.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

Here ya go Mel.. remember the Vitalis ??or was it Wildroot !
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgHGLBMiX5I
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Yep, I remember. I was in the Air Force at the time (I went in at 17 in late 1963). In February 1964, I was stationed in Montgomery, Alabama when The Beatles appeared for the first time on the Ed Sullivan Show. That was the beginning of what was called 'The British Invasion'. The United States seemed to have very little more than the Surfer music before that day. Then suddenly it was The Rolling Stones, Dusty Springfield, Peter and Gordon, the Animals, Manfred Mann, Petula Clark, Freddie and the Dreamers, Wayne Fontana and the Mindbenders, Herman's Hermits, the Dave Clark Five, the Yardbirds, Led Zeppelin... and the list goes on and on. Yes, it was a great time for music. Then Motown music started hitting the radio waves as well, and by the end of 1964 the airwaves were saturated with constant 'hot' music...and it only got better. If it hadn't been for the war, it would have been a great time. The music, I hope, will never be forgotten.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Coastal Mountainer
Color: black

Post by Coastal Mountainer »

While I liked most of the popular tunes of the 60's ok, living in NC, what we called beach music was the real deal. Our 'beach music' was not for the surfer dudes. It was music we could 'shag' to. Songs like Thank You John, If I Only Had a Dime, A Quiet Place, It Ain't no Big Thing, and, my all time favorite, Hello Stranger.

I heard about Woodstock while it was happening, but had to work at the A&P to pay for college. After Woodstock concluded, lots of Woodstock attendees drifted through town on their way home. It was cool talking to them and hearing about their time there. We didn't have many, if any at all, what we called Hippies in Statesville, NC so it was like seeing a real space alien up close.

Those were the days!
2014 CTX 700dct Red (glad I got it)

2013 PCX 150 Black (wish I could have kept it)
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

Moving thread to 'Old folks getting older' ;) I missed most of this, we were soldiers. Olive drab, pickle suit, hut, hut, hut, hut. Probably would be in a whole different place if not for enlisting... my feet hurt :lol:
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Ezy...now.
homie bro, you loves your music, all kinds of music! I'm betting my 45's on that ;) and I gots Lots of 'em!
Shoot! I need a juke box! Wurlitzer. Always wanted an old but "running" one. How many 45 rpm's did one house back then? 200?
A Dime (10cents) for 1 song, a Quarter (25cents) bought you 3 songs, a dollar 5 songs...correct?

@200 - I'll need 3 jukeboxes o_O Whoa-ho! Now We're talking the Big Bucks!
Lightbulb > Asking Google: find.... "go fund me" :P

Old nooo....me peewee brain still works! Tah Dah
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (94.64 KiB) Viewed 670 times
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

A couple more. . .Donovan Leitch and Linda Ronstadt. :D

Sunshine Superman - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGLcXIrk6S0

Silver Threads and Golden Needles - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BifFedbcHzE

For the times they are a changin. . .. ;)
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

Yep, I remember. I was in the Air Force at the time (I went in at 17 in late 1963). In February 1964, I was stationed in Montgomery, Alabama when The Beatles appeared for the first time on the Ed Sullivan Show. That was the beginning of what was called 'The British Invasion'. The United States seemed to have very little more than the Surfer music before that day. Then suddenly it was The Rolling Stones, Dusty Springfield, Peter and Gordon, the Animals, Manfred Mann, Petula Clark, Freddie and the Dreamers, Wayne Fontana and the Mindbenders, Herman's Hermits, the Dave Clark Five, the Yardbirds, Led Zeppelin... and the list goes on and on. Yes, it was a great time for music. Then Motown music started hitting the radio waves as well, and by the end of 1964 the airwaves were saturated with constant 'hot' music...and it only got better. If it hadn't been for the war, it would have been a great time. The music, I hope, will never be forgotten.
The Doors - The End (Less the copters of Apocalypse Now) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSUIQgEVDM4 ;)

As Jim replied after being informed the band would not be asked back again. . ."Hey, Man, we just did the Sullivan Show".

They could have made six more appearances. I watched that night. . .I remember it well. . .in black and white. . .. 8)
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

Moving thread to 'Old folks getting older' ;) I missed most of this, we were soldiers. Olive drab, pickle suit, hut, hut, hut, hut. Probably would be in a whole different place if not for enlisting... my feet hurt :lol:
Was in for a little while. . .got an Honorable due to a back problem. Just missed being shipped over seas due to my age. I remember the "Take all you want but eat all you take" mantra at the mess hall. About the sore feet. We had red dots and blue dots. . .so we didn't wear the same boots two days in a row. ;)

Sometimes I look at my old uniform and think about the time it actually fit me and how cold it was in NJ the day I left. :lol:
relic
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red white

Post by relic »

About 1963 got my first transistor radio, a Nanola with graphite antenna, living in the boonies you had to tilt it just right to pick up the AM signals. The Motown stuff was just hitting the airwaves about then and it was like candy to my ears.
A little younger than Mel, when he enlisted,I was just considering puberty.
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

PCX150Rider wrote:
Was in for a little while. . .got an Honorable due to a back problem. Just missed being shipped over seas due to my age. I remember the "Take all you want but eat all you take" mantra at the mess hall. About the sore feet. We had red dots and blue dots. . .so we didn't wear the same boots two days in a row. ;)

Sometimes I look at my old uniform and think about the time it actually fit me and how cold it was in NJ the day I left. :lol:
I still wear the boots, hate shoes, wear combat boots to Church. March two miles a day everyday until the soles are gone. Wish I knew what you old farts find comfortable in a civilian shoe. I look like a idiot in the summer, maybe I need a foot doctor. Once a soldier always a solider. Thanks for your service.
Attachments
boots.jpg
boots.jpg (267.73 KiB) Viewed 641 times
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

I still wear the boots, hate shoes, wear combat boots to Church. March two miles a day everyday until the soles are gone. Wish I knew what you old farts find comfortable in a civilian shoe. I look like a idiot in the summer, maybe I need a foot doctor. Once a soldier always a solider. Thanks for your service.
Yes. . .and thank you for your service as well!

My time was brief in comparison to yours but I can see you weren't in that long ago. Maybe I should get back into hiking again! Good idea. ... ;)
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

After I finished my tour in the Air Force I was out in civilian life for almost 4 years before something happened to the economy and it started into a downward spiral. I ended up going into the Coast Guard, and I loved it! After 8 1/2 years in it I would have stayed in till retirement except for one important thing. I knew what was waiting out in the real world after retirement, so I wanted to finish my college before then. However, that is not possible when you are working 86 hours/wk. That is what happens when you are an overachiever. Unfortunately, when it was time for me to re-enlist I asked for some time off at night to take night classes, or a transfer to a base that could allow me that time. I called HQ and the base I was interested in. They all agreed, and were really anxious to have me. The only thing I had to do was get the current base to agree to release me. They wouldn't agree. They told me that they didn't have to give me anything because they had me for life and they knew it...so I left, and finished college on my own. Too many lifetime soldiers have retired and found out that what they were good at in the military has no place in civilian life without some kind of certification. That is why I was trying to think ahead and get my education. I am glad that I did.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

Too many lifetime soldiers have retired and found out that what they were good at in the military has no place in civilian life without some kind of certification. That is why I was trying to think ahead and get my education. I am glad that I did.
Thanks for your service too Mel!

What you did is admirable and we need more of that kind of thinking today. A smart civilization will invest in their youth so they will be able to carry on as people age out of the workplace and the young must dig in for the long haul. It seems now that the cost of education (not to mention medical care) is off the map. Absurd I would say. The quest for the quick cash with no regard for it's effects on the future is causing chaos and harm to the social and environmental framework on our planet. You don't need me to tell you. . .just read the news every day right?

Gotta give the PCX credit for that 100 MPG fuel economy though. The next time you are out driving around think about the little cars with 10 gallon tanks and the bigger cars with 20+ gallon tanks and multiply that in your head by how many cars you see (just you) and it starts to add up really quick. That is one heck of a lot of gasoline. Now if it were motorcycles and scooters. . .well you get the idea. Oh. . .and I think the people riding the two wheelers would have a grin. . .not a grimace. What a great advertising gimmick. Get a bike . . . get a grin. :lol:

Speaking of grin - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVL4wKnpx2U
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Ha! ...when more money than sense runs the show!
Considering that we have all worked hard for what we have, including our little PCXs, many of us feel like the guy whose little boat was up against that big yacht. We want to get out and ride, but the big "yacht" just wants to run you over. We just need to ride where the big cars don't go, like back country roads and quite little side roads. Life is good when you aren't being forced off of the road.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150