Get it now while you can (USA) ??

Anything and everything not related to anything else on this site.

Moderator: Modsquad

easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: blk

Get it now while you can (USA) ??

Post by easyrider »

The new regime vows to increase taxes on Oriental, Chinese, and other foreign goods coming into the US by 35%. If contemplating making any upcoming purchases on scooters, parts, tires etc from abroad it might be wise to consider sooner than later before prices soar or things become difficult to acquire in the USA .I don't believe the USA manufactures much in the way of scooters, parts etc. Food for thought!
Bash On!
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Get it now while you can (USA) ??

Post by Bash On! »

Or, maybe not get it now. Sanctions and new duties lead to trade war. Trade war leads to loss of jobs. Loss of job leads to no money for new scooter just purchased. Hard to tell what will happen.
2013 PCX 150 [now an ex-bike, soon to be consigned to the bottom line of the sig]
2013 Silver Wing ABS (Black)
1971 BMW R75/5 (White)
Too many ex-bikes to list, and, besides, who really cares what we used to own?
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Post by PCX150Rider »

Food for thought. . .

I could be wrong but I don't think there's been a typical scooter made in the U.S. for a very long time. Harley made a "Topper" for a while. Right now "Genuine" out of Chicago imports re-badged scooters from PGO in Taiwan and LML in India. The "Stella" is about as close as you will get to the old Vespa "P200" series wasp look. The "Buddy" and "Roughhouse" are well made but you won't find any factory in these United States that's makes them. There aren't really any "stand-alone" Genuine dealerships either (to the best of my knowledge FWIW). . .they sort of piggy back off of other scooter or motorcycle dealers.

I actually contacted Harley a few years ago to consider making scooters again but I highly doubt they took my comment seriously. That being said they now import a 500 and 750 from India. I wonder if those would be effected by a tariff as such.

For me, I'm still committed to getting a PCX and will make my decision to purchase based on the economic environment that presents itself later this year. If they do decide to jack up the price another $1100 then I may just keep what I have. I have a Sport Touring bike and a Dual Purpose machine as well as a Genuine Roughhouse so it wouldn't be the end of the world. But I sure would have liked to step up to the PCX for more power, economy, and all around usefulness. I remember years ago when the Japanese manufacturers changed the 750's to 700's to avoid import duties when our government was trying to give Harley a break to compete in the marketplace with foreign marques. :ugeek:

It's a complicated issue for sure. . .and another unintended consequence to trying to make more "stuff" in the U.S. again is who knows how to make anything anymore in numbers sufficient to staff the factories? The "know how" is either going to retire, has retired, or is in grave yards. A whole generation of young people are going to have to be educated very quickly to learn how to be tool and die makers, electricians, sheet metal workers, foundry workers, machinists, welders, and a host of other trades in addition to just being computer jockeys. I think the government is going to have to pour a bunch of coin into education programs for trades as well.

I could go on and on but your point about 35% does get the attention of the world trade partners.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Bash On! wrote:Or, maybe not get it now. Sanctions and new duties lead to trade war. Trade war leads to loss of jobs. Loss of job leads to no money for new scooter just purchased. Hard to tell what will happen.

Well put. No-one benefits.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

PCX150Rider wrote:Food for thought. . .

I could be wrong but I don't think there's been a typical scooter made in the U.S. for a very long time. Harley made a "Topper" for a while. Right now "Genuine" out of Chicago imports re-badged scooters from PGO in Taiwan and LML in India. The "Stella" is about as close as you will get to the old Vespa "P200" series wasp look. The "Buddy" and "Roughhouse" are well made but you won't find any factory in these United States that's makes them. There aren't really any "stand-alone" Genuine dealerships either (to the best of my knowledge FWIW). . .they sort of piggy back off of other scooter or motorcycle dealers.

I actually contacted Harley a few years ago to consider making scooters again but I highly doubt they took my comment seriously. That being said they now import a 500 and 750 from India. I wonder if those would be effected by a tariff as such.

For me, I'm still committed to getting a PCX and will make my decision to purchase based on the economic environment that presents itself later this year. If they do decide to jack up the price another $1100 then I may just keep what I have. I have a Sport Touring bike and a Dual Purpose machine as well as a Genuine Roughhouse so it wouldn't be the end of the world. But I sure would have liked to step up to the PCX for more power, economy, and all around usefulness. I remember years ago when the Japanese manufacturers changed the 750's to 700's to avoid import duties when our government was trying to give Harley a break to compete in the marketplace with foreign marques. :ugeek:

It's a complicated issue for sure. . .and another unintended consequence to trying to make more "stuff" in the U.S. again is who knows how to make anything anymore in numbers sufficient to staff the factories? The "know how" is either going to retire, has retired, or is in grave yards. A whole generation of young people are going to have to be educated very quickly to learn how to be tool and die makers, electricians, sheet metal workers, foundry workers, machinists, welders, and a host of other trades in addition to just being computer jockeys. I think the government is going to have to pour a bunch of coin into education programs for trades as well.

I could go on and on but your point about 35% does get the attention of the world trade partners.

Harley manufacturing is based where? China isn't it?
JonW
Regular User
Regular User

Post by JonW »

you you wrote: Harley manufacturing is based where? China isn't it?
Try Pennsylvania. I've toured the factory...
Jon W
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

JonW wrote:
you you wrote: Harley manufacturing is based where? China isn't it?
Try Pennsylvania. I've toured the factory...

I said manufacturing not assembly. Look at the words and then take some time to think about what they mean.
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

OR.... it's more likely ALL Americana's become much more prosperous. Becoming self reliant, get better paying jobs and we buy new motorbikes sending more and more used vehicles out of the country for folks who appreciate our second hand stuff. And if they don't appreciate it we recycle and make even better motorbikes than the ones we import... right here in the good O'L USA :o how bout it?
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

homie wrote:OR.... it's more likely ALL Americana's become much more prosperous. Becoming self reliant, get better paying jobs and we buy new motorbikes sending more and more used vehicles out of the country for folks who appreciate our second hand stuff. And if they don't appreciate it we recycle and make even better motorbikes than the ones we import... right here in the good O'L USA :o how bout it?
Interesting.. I remember way back in the 50's the critics laughed at Toyota and said they could never build a car as good as America.???
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

homie wrote:OR.... it's more likely ALL Americana's become much more prosperous. Becoming self reliant, get better paying jobs and we buy new motorbikes sending more and more used vehicles out of the country for folks who appreciate our second hand stuff. And if they don't appreciate it we recycle and make even better motorbikes than the ones we import... right here in the good O'L USA :o how bout it?
You are funny sometimes :D
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

#makesteelcitygreatagain?
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

Hey. . .read this from the AMA.

As part of a trade battle over hormones in U.S. beef, a federal agency is trying to tack a 100 percent or higher tariff on motorcycles made in Europe.

The Office of United States Trade Representative requested comments on Dec. 28 regarding its proposal to include tariffs on motorcycles with an engine size between 51cc and 500cc imported from the European Union.

The American Motorcyclist Association opposes the proposed tariff, because trade disputes residing within the boundaries of the agricultural industry should not be solved with trade sanctions levied against non-agricultural products.

"There is no logical link between motorcycles and beef," said Wayne Allard, AMA vice president of government relations. "It is absurd to even consider such a move."

http://www.aimag.com/wp-content/uploads ... 24x696.jpg

Smile and say Cheezzzzzeeeeeburger. . . :lol:
relic
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red white

Post by relic »

Shuffling the deck with trade? you never know what card you might get next.
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

Yup, the AMA can't understand why a government agency would pull two totally non-related industries into an international trade dispute. What to bikes have to do with beef right? I think a dispute involving BBQ sauce and condiments would be more fitting. :lol:

And another thing. . .the AMA is trying desperately to discourage the government from allowing a higher concentration of ethanol in our gasoline as well. The ethanol has been causing problems in fuel systems since 2002 here. . .especially in the marine industry where it softened materials in non-metallic gas tanks and corroded aluminum components as well. Manufacturers of lawn equipment, outboard motors, motorcycles/scooters, other small engines will not warranty their products with the use of gasoline containing more than a 10% ethanol. So it sort of leaves the consumer and manufacture up against the agricultural lobby at the end of the day. Maybe a bit off topic but the American Motorcycle Association tries to keep a lid on discrimination against riders on many fronts. :geek: