Amazing development of technology

Anything and everything not related to anything else on this site.

Moderator: Modsquad

easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: blk

Re: Amazing development of technology

Post by easyrider »

Computers.. I remember when I was in school we didn't even have a photocopier.. We had to mimeograph everything and no such thing as calculators. We did have that amazing slide rule , but still had to do all calculations by hand and show our work..This means square roots , logarithms etc ..all by hand calculations.It was not unusual to use a whole page of calculations to arrive at an answer.Today students use calculators and they cant make change at Mc donalds unless there is calculator. Times have changed so we must change as well, and as long as computers rule expect the hazards.. Unemployment will dominate as time goes on and stress and strife will escalate proportionately, but we will be the first to colonize Mars ?? As far as building computers , I did a few , but find it more cost effective to buy a new one every few years and get the latest and greatest. I think they program these things to self destruct anyway after a few years.. Its called planned obsolescence.. Have fun
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

We haven't seen anything yet! Watch for cloud based tech to take off in all kinds of ways. Constant WYFI umbrella linked from commercial aircraft encompassing the planet. GREAT time to be alive! Best place on earth to live and no, we won't be colonizing another planet :roll: It ends here, no escape... so enjoy it!
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I finally found the problem on my Linux machine... motherboard fried after 20 years of use. So I went to a store and purchased a lease returned used computer with Windows 7.0 on it, opened it up, upgraded the memory with some I had sitting in a box, attached my Linux hard drive, and it is up and running. If/when I want to use the Windows drive I just swap the cable over to the Windows hard drive and boot up the system. Both work fine with my wireless connections. Cost of the repair?? About $150. It is only running an I5 Intel processor, but for that price it is all the power I need. Technology does not have to be expensive. People do not realize how powerful these little chips are. Most people will never use all the computing power a computer is capable of. Yes, the newer chips are faster than last year's version, but unless you are a heavy gamer these days or an engineer/scientist you won't use your computer to its max these days.
I use to tweak the processors on my computers to get more power out of them, but I don't need to any longer. They are quite powerful now without doing much of anything. ...on the dark side of that, the kids are getting dumber now. I wish we could tweak them. :-/
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
k2apache6.0
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: Red

Post by k2apache6.0 »

Well that depends on what you do with them obviously. CAD/CAM workstation, Video editing, Gaming all have different, and often expensive requirements. Now if all you do is surf the net and watch movies then sure
it needn't be expensive
Last edited by k2apache6.0 on Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My PCX mod build here..
http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7113
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Mel46 wrote:I use to tweak the processors on my computers to get more power out of them, but I don't need to any longer. They are quite powerful now without doing much of anything. ...on the dark side of that, the kids are getting dumber now. I wish we could tweak them. :-/
Or perhaps they are just waking up. Picking my son up at college tomorrow, finals over and he is coming home. He has stated he won't be going back as the career he pursues in social work is full of libtards and he will hear no more of their dribble (chip off the old block). He's going to get a pilots license, go to flight school, get commercial pilot certified and start his life. Wants a real job, a wife and give me a grandson to indoctrinate.

The wife was... WHAT!
I'm fighting back the snickers trying to have a stern face but under my phony exterior I'm so proud he's done with the formal education structure and I never wanted him to dabble in the disturbed and dysfunctional people anyway. Yep, i'm fighting back the grin like Travolta in Grease today 8)

easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by easyrider »

homie wrote:We haven't seen anything yet! Watch for cloud based tech to take off in all kinds of ways. Constant WYFI umbrella linked from commercial aircraft encompassing the planet. GREAT time to be alive! Best place on earth to live and no, we won't be colonizing another planet :roll: It ends here, no escape... so enjoy it!
I remember when I was a kid they said the same thing about a man walking on the moon..You can bet that there will be a man walking on MARS one day . Every experiment , every plan that's now on the drawing boards at NASA and SpaceX are all about getting a man to MARS and back.When it will happen , for sure not in my lifetime, but there will be a man and colony on Mars some day . The end will only come if Youngblood gets us in a thermonuclear war.. and am beginning to think that might be part of the plan to help our unemployment problem LOL
YEP, when that WYFI umbrella gets kicked off and technology moves forward there goes all the brick and mortar stores and all our products will be delivered by clones , drones, and driverless vehicles.
In the year 2525..Zagar and Evans sure got it right.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

:lol: I will take that bet! Any more great empires will have to be on Mars because it can't be here... all booked up, full house, no rent, we ride this baby down in style.
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by easyrider »

homie wrote::lol: I will take that bet! Any more great empires will have to be on Mars because it can't be here... all booked up, full house, no rent, we ride this baby down in style.
Yeah man, probably right..the dinosaurs thought they had it made here too.. LOL have a good one !!
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Post by PCX150Rider »

Even if we do transport the best of the best to Mars someday to survey the planet and start developing a colony. . .just think how minuscule of an accomplishment that will be in relationship to infinity. . .the ever expanding universe, the realm with no borders, the beyond beyond our ability to comprehend due to our limited brain capacity. . .or as Poe would say "Is all that we see or seem. . .But a dream within a dream?".

Well. . .the long journey begins with the first step and thoughts become things. :roll:

Which brings us to the "Honda Dream" and I was only in Elementary School hoping I'd get my new "Rollfast" bicycle for Christmas. :lol:

That eventually got modified with a Banana Seat, Knobby Tires and Ape Hangers to imitate the Columbia "Playboy" bike. My parents encouraged me to just get a 3-Speed "English" bike which I eventually did, a "Raleigh Robin Hood". 8)

Wow. . .now I'm really off topic. :lol:
relic
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red white

Post by relic »

Sturmey Archer 3 speeds,I think one guy in my neighbourhood had one,the rest of us had the one speed coaster style. Any hill you had to stand up on the pedals and pump, and use the the tacking method-Zig Zag,if that didn't work you pushed.
As for computers I haven't quite decided if they have stunted our growth or added to it.
Sometimes it is not all about calculations.
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

Or perhaps they are just waking up. Picking my son up at college tomorrow, finals over and he is coming home. He has stated he won't be going back as the career he pursues in social work is full of libtards and he will hear no more of their dribble (chip off the old block). He's going to get a pilots license, go to flight school, get commercial pilot certified and start his life. Wants a real job, a wife and give me a grandson to indoctrinate.
Sounds like your Son knows what he wants. . .good for him! That in itself is a major accomplishment. It makes it so much easier when you study and work hard towards a goal in something you like. For a lot of us it's hard to see the forest for the trees.

I graduated with a B.S. in Business Administration and to this day I never worked a Marketing job. The employers figured I had the ability to learn so I was a good risk to hire. Had two major careers. . .. The rest is history now that I'm retired.

I always told my kids since they were young that I supported whatever it was that they chose to do with their lives when they grew up as long as they were good at it. People will always pay for quality. . .or at least the rich ones will. So one is a professional making good coin and the other works with rescued horses and other animals on a farm for not so much coin. Bottom line is they are both happy with what they are doing and at the end of the day it is indeed about the experiences. So they might as well be good ones. :D
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

Sounds like your Son knows what he wants. . .good for him! That in itself is a major accomplishment.

I graduated with a B.S. in Business Administration and to this day I never worked a Marketing job. The employers figured I had the ability to learn so I was a good risk to hire. Had two major careers. The rest is history now that I'm retired.

I always told my kids since they were young that I supported whatever it was that they chose to do with their lives when they grew up as long as they were good at it. People will always pay for quality. . .or at least the rich ones will. :lol:

One of my children became a professional making good coin. The other works with rescued horses and other animals on a farm making not so much coin. The bottom line is I'm equally proud of them both for having pursued their bliss and that they take joy in their achievements. They both try to constantly improve. . .not to compete. . .but to enjoy the non-monetary rewards of becoming more skilled in their chosen fields. :geek:
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

Sorry about the double post. I had a PC glitch and had to reboot. Thought the first one was lost in the shuffle. Damn computers. o_O
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Well, once upon a time, when I was still working, I needed as much power as I could get from my computer. The biggest problem we had was our own I.T. group. We were all engineers in my department but our requests for better computers had to go through I.T. and they thought that everybody could get by with the same amount of computing power. That meant that engineers and secretaries needed the exact same kind of computers with the same software. Talk about making our jobs harder!
Before they clamped down too tight on us to allow us any wiggle room, we would open the computers up and tweak them by adding more memory and a faster processor, plus more hard drive space. Then, eventually, they stopped us from doing even that. The job went from being fun to counting the days till retirement.
Now, I really don't care what they do, as long as I continue to get my retirement checks. Sad to say, but so so true.
My last department boss retired when I did. Things change. Life goes on. I am just happy that I made it through to this point.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

Mel46 wrote:Well, once upon a time, when I was still working, I needed as much power as I could get from my computer. The biggest problem we had was our own I.T. group. We were all engineers in my department but our requests for better computers had to go through I.T. and they thought that everybody could get by with the same amount of computing power. That meant that engineers and secretaries needed the exact same kind of computers with the same software. Talk about making our jobs harder!
Before they clamped down too tight on us to allow us any wiggle room, we would open the computers up and tweak them by adding more memory and a faster processor, plus more hard drive space. Then, eventually, they stopped us from doing even that. The job went from being fun to counting the days till retirement.
Now, I really don't care what they do, as long as I continue to get my retirement checks. Sad to say, but so so true.
My last department boss retired when I did. Things change. Life goes on. I am just happy that I made it through to this point.
Mel, did you ever "physically overclock" computers back in the 80s or whenever you were in the lab?
I don't know how it was then, but in the 90s you set clock/memory speeds and multipliers with little jumpers across pins.
What we used to do before overclocking became mainstream, was put resistors across the jumpers to provide the voltage offset we needed.
I had one motherboard I remember called the Aopen AP5T, that I overclocked past it's 200Mhz limit to 530Mhz!
I never killed that motherboard, and it was only retired when socket 370 was abandoned by Intel and AMD.
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

That is so frustrating. . ..

Too many "Yes" people and not enough "Know" people in the right places when it comes to common sense and what works. ;)

Does that sound right? :roll:
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

Sturmey Archer 3 speeds,I think one guy in my neighbourhood had one,the rest of us had the one speed coaster style. Any hill you had to stand up on the pedals and pump, and use the the tacking method-Zig Zag,if that didn't work you pushed.
As for computers I haven't quite decided if they have stunted our growth or added to it.
Sometimes it is not all about calculations.
Don't forget the "John Bull" brake pads and that classic muted click click click sound as one peddled along. I had that bike for a real long time. ;)

A neighbor of mine gave me a Dunelt for my wife (at the time) to use. . .she survived the Blitz in London during the war and moved here with her husband subsequently years ago. So it came over here with her on the boat. I remember that decal on the frame that said "Ride Awheel on Sheffield Steel". I wish I had kept my old Robin Hood and that Dunelt. Didn't fully comprehend how they would increase in value as time went on. . .seemed like everyone had one. . .sort of like the original VW Beetles. To have one now would be "Wow" material at the local watering hole.