mystery dump...

Anything and everything not related to anything else on this site.

Moderator: Modsquad

homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

mystery dump...

Post by homie »

Why are these guys driving their Harley's into a ditch? Go to 1:15 and help me understand what's happening here. It looks like a sympathy dump after accidentally pushing your buddy off the road which makes no sense when your woman is riding pillion. I don't get it :lol: Is this just old folks getting older? Maybe time to get off the road or ride alone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUB2darr5mU
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Re: mystery dump...

Post by you you »

homie wrote:Why are these guys driving their Harley's into a ditch? Go to 1:15 and help me understand what's happening here. It looks like a sympathy dump after accidentally pushing your buddy off the road which makes no sense when your woman is riding pillion. I don't get it :lol: Is this just old folks getting older? Maybe time to get off the road or ride alone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUB2darr5mU

I think incompetence.

Mrs You You thinks deliberate insurance claim.

Nobody can be that stupid can they? Even HD riders?
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

I can somewhat appreciate the challenge of cornering a great big fat 1000lb bike with a pillion.
But I think the second guy is just a dickhead...

I'm pretty sure that's near Lake Travis, Austin, Texas BTW.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

chicaboo wrote:I can somewhat appreciate the challenge of cornering a great big fat 1000lb bike with a pillion.
But I think the second guy is just a dickhead...

I'm pretty sure that's near Lake Travis, Austin, Texas BTW.
Shouldn't be on bikes. If they weren't so incompetent they'd be dangerous to others.
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

Before they laid the bikes down, it was hard to make out how steep the incline was. But when the three guys went back for them and the two cars were pulled over, the steepness of the incline could be seen, particularly when the one car going uphill went to leave and spun the front tires. From the audio, the woman on the phone does't appear to know where there are until the person in the downhill car tells them what road they are on. This is possibly the first time they had been on this particular road.

Thus, just a guess, but I suspect the two HD's were in too high of a gear on the incline and couldn't get them in a low enough gear in time before they stalled out.

I think I learned a lesson at their expense.
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
relic
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red white

Post by relic »

The thing that I noticed was instead of interacting with the people involved and the ones who stopped to help was of the lady who's first response was the cell phone
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

After watching it again on the PC, I can hear the older bloke whom had the pillion keep saying he hit a hole in the road.
I couldn't see a hole, but there was a patch of road that looked to have sand and maybe gravel on it right where they went off.
Beats me, I've never ridden a land whale before...
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider
Year: 2016
Color: Fast White

Post by alx123 »

Heavy bikes , old but inexperienced riders. Not a good match.
Everything looks better from the inside of a motorcycle helmet...
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

kramnala58 wrote: the steepness of the incline could be seen, particularly when the one car going uphill went to leave and spun the front tires. Thus, just a guess, but I suspect the two HD's were in too high of a gear on the incline and couldn't get them in a low enough gear in time before they stalled out. I think I learned a lesson at their expense.
Nice work Watson, you are right about what initially the camera dosent show. This is indeed a very steep climb into a tight turn that 800lb bike riders would need to be prepared. Not going to fault age or inexperience... I suspect not moving fast enough to push a whale up that twisting grade and balance the mass at the same time whilst dodging a pothole. Unfamiliar roads with unexpected surprises. This was a slow moving train wreck :D
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider

Post by alx123 »

I imagine a bike that heavy will be very difficult on steep curves like that. The second guy just proved that your bike will tend to go where your eyes are.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

alx123 wrote:I imagine a bike that heavy will be very difficult on steep curves like that. The second guy just proved that your bike will tend to go where your eyes are.
More likely where her eyes and body weight went. Second driver could have had the concentration in that precarious angle around that corner but if your passenger is rubber necking that would be enough to lean the big bike into the inside and drag you over the edge. Look closer ;)
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider

Post by alx123 »

homie wrote:
alx123 wrote:I imagine a bike that heavy will be very difficult on steep curves like that. The second guy just proved that your bike will tend to go where your eyes are.
More likely where her eyes and body weight went. I would not have taken my concentration off the precarious angles of that corner but if your passenger is rubber necking that would be enough to lean the big bike into the inside and drag you over the edge. Look closer ;)
The rider itself turn his head to check his friend and He probably thought there is a little space beside the road for him to stop.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Could have been worse, seems we can learn a lot by analyzing this clip. Like the north end cliff rides of Maui... these two bikes would still be rolling :)
GatorGreg
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: White

Post by GatorGreg »

Guy kept claiming he hit a hole - I didn't see a hole - I think they just lost too much speed and probably stalled before tipping over. It was a deceptively steep turn - besides the car losing traction I noticed it took a loooooong time for the other 3 bikers to get their bikes parked securely before they could help. As a rider of a fairly heavy bike now I thank you Homie for this valuable lesson.
2018 Yamaha SMAX Raven Black (aka Majesty S)
RIP 2015 Honda PCX 150 Pearl White
RIP 2010 Honda Elite (Lead) 110 Black
Check out GatorGreg's Motovlog on YouTube
DailyRider
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2017
Color: Dark blue

Post by DailyRider »

Yeah, there was a deep divot in the road there.
The first bike that fell was still fixated on that, when they hit the sand on the road.
(Even the car at 3:50 slips on the sand as it starts up.)

It looks to me like the second bike went down because the person steering it
turned to look at the first bike and steered their bike right off the road.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

i drove to California back in the 1960's and there was a road just this side of San Francisco that was so steep that they actually put a sign up telling riders and drivers that unless they had a certain size engine on a car and a certain size displacement on a bike they should not try to climb the road but instead go the long way around.
It was fun watching people try anyway. I didn't think the big Harleys could get stuck going up a hill, but they can. I thought they were going to burn up their engines trying. So much fun, so much humiliation.
Very few cars made it, and they were muscle cars. Even a dune buggy couldn't make it.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

That's what happened. Going up a steep incline with a tight curve and not using enough power/speed. Maybe in high gear bogged/stalled and didn't downshift or missed the downshift, too late - the low speed and the bike tilted with the incline.Not knowing the road and the unexpected steep curve could have thrown off the lead driver. The second driver followed by slowing down to help but the weight tipped him over as well being on the incline. I didn't see any cautionary road signs of steep curve ahead to warn the riders.
tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 PCX 150
Color: Red

Post by tbln930 »

Group hysteria? Lemmings theory?
2017 Kawasaki Versys X 300 ABS (Graphite) - 775 miles - Terry Adcox saddle, T-Rex skid, SW-Motech crash bars, Madstad windshield, Givi 30L top case, Ram X-Grip, thermometer, OEM center stand, OEM hand guards

2014 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 ABS Adventure (Candy Daring Red) - 8650 miles - too fast Givi Airflow WS, Givi V47 mount, Givi crash Bars, Givi skid plate, Ravetech GPS mount, USB power outlet, Easter Beaver Fuse box, Denali DR1 LEDs, MondoMoto LEDs, Tool Tube, Zumo 665 GPS, Cobra radar detector, Mobius HD camera

2013 Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS Adventure (Metallic Thunder Gray) - Sold

2013 Honda PCX 150 (Candy Rose Red) - Sold

SECoda/tbln930
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

tbln930 wrote:Group hysteria? Lemmings theory?
Here is some more group hysteria. Street tires on a dirt track and nothing better to do than dump their bikes for giggles and applause. I should have so much money :lol:

tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 PCX 150
Color: Red

Post by tbln930 »

Since adventure bikes have exploded here there are a lot of Harleys gathering dust in garages. lol
2017 Kawasaki Versys X 300 ABS (Graphite) - 775 miles - Terry Adcox saddle, T-Rex skid, SW-Motech crash bars, Madstad windshield, Givi 30L top case, Ram X-Grip, thermometer, OEM center stand, OEM hand guards

2014 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 ABS Adventure (Candy Daring Red) - 8650 miles - too fast Givi Airflow WS, Givi V47 mount, Givi crash Bars, Givi skid plate, Ravetech GPS mount, USB power outlet, Easter Beaver Fuse box, Denali DR1 LEDs, MondoMoto LEDs, Tool Tube, Zumo 665 GPS, Cobra radar detector, Mobius HD camera

2013 Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS Adventure (Metallic Thunder Gray) - Sold

2013 Honda PCX 150 (Candy Rose Red) - Sold

SECoda/tbln930