Lane Splitting in Bangkok, Thailand

Anything and everything not related to anything else on this site.

Moderator: Modsquad

kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Lane Splitting in Bangkok, Thailand

Post by kramnala58 »

There has been some discussion on other threads regarding lane splitting. Here are a couple of videos of how it is done Bangkok style. Whether you are for or against lane splitting, you would have to agree that if it wasn't done here, you would not be moving ... just like the cages.

2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus

Re: Lane Splitting in Bangkok, Thailand

Post by kramnala58 »

Here are some links in case you want to watch them full screen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVfWeSmFjBU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5j_41LbilQs
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

I get it saves time, but those of you that do it, how can you be sure a door won't open in front of you?

A friend had that happen in Los Angeles, massive injuries....
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

http://www.motorcycling-uk.com/training ... tering.htm

It's legal in the uk. See above

Sent from my iPad
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I have to wonder how many car doors end up scratched or dented on a daily basis over in Bangkok. It looks to me like the car is the minority over there. In fact, if you use a car over there it looks like you will have to pad your expected travel time considerably. That goes a long way in explaining 3 to 5 people on a scooter too!
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

In Australia there is a distinction between "lane splitting" and "lane filtering". Filtering is legal (in some states) and splitting is not, anywhere.

Lane filtering is riding between two lanes or more traveling in the same direction at no more than 30kph. On 90kph+ roads you can use the shoulder.
Obviously if the traffic is traveling faster than 30kph, lane filtering is illegal and unnecessary beyond that speed. Is this how the pohms do it?

Lane splitting is the careless ride anywhere you want at any speed thing you see in California. I hope the legalities are more specific, but this is the scary one...
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus

Post by kramnala58 »

Mel46 wrote:I have to wonder how many car doors end up scratched or dented on a daily basis over in Bangkok. It looks to me like the car is the minority over there. In fact, if you use a car over there it looks like you will have to pad your expected travel time considerably. That goes a long way in explaining 3 to 5 people on a scooter too!
It is surprising how little cars end up being scratched. Often cagers with power mirrors will fold them in when sitting at a red light.

Although it may appear like cars are in the minority, I am pretty sure they are not, particularly in Bangkok and surrounding areas.

Travel times are reported to be the second slowest in the world. According to the article at the link below, which claims it is getting its info from TomTom, non rush-hour traffic moves 57% slower than open road conditions, morning rush-hour traffic is 85% slower, and evening rush hour is 114% slower. I live in the downtown core where public transportation (skytrain and subway) are basically at the foot of my street. I typically take those instead of driving because: 1) In the car, it is not worth the length of time it takes; 2) On the scooter because I am not as adept at maneuvering as most Thai's are and I can more readily become a hazard. In other words, I ride within my limits. Nonetheless, I still love living in this city.

http://mashable.com/2016/03/22/bangkok- ... ozOup0Umqo
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

LOL... unorganized goofiness, but fun to watch. There must be more to the story of how this is possible and friendly. For example what are the repercussions of a car or truck that puts a stop to this by blocking, tightening or closing the gaps? It's very gracious of these people driving cars if you ask me because someone here would simply take pleasure in denying access to anyone passing. Heck we have HUGE signs begging DO NOT BLOCK intersection and no one cares an blocks them anyway as long as it forwards their motion. Americans drive aggressively and selfishly in congested areas, not so much in rural but still even the farmers wouldn't put with this kind of passing.

Someone here would just nose on over and squat effectively ending any splitting of a lane :lol: heck I would especially if I was in a nice car.
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus

Post by kramnala58 »

homie wrote:LOL... unorganized goofiness, but fun to watch. There must be more to the story of how this is possible and friendly. For example what are the repercussions of a car or truck that puts a stop to this by blocking, tightening or closing the gaps? It's very gracious of these people driving cars if you ask me because someone here would simply take pleasure in denying access to anyone passing. Heck we have HUGE signs begging DO NOT BLOCK intersection and no one cares an blocks them anyway as long as it forwards their motion. Americans drive aggressively and selfishly in congested areas, not so much in rural but still even the farmers wouldn't put with this kind of passing.
Someone here would just nose on over and squat effectively ending any splitting of a lane :lol: heck I would especially if I was in a nice car.
I have learned that when in Rome, live like the Romans.

Driving was one of the cultural adjustments I had to make when I moved here 4½ years ago. Sure, there are plenty of incidents of road rage and accidents (even fatalities) every day, but by and large, particularly in traffic like the videos above, the people are very generous. Whether it is a bike or a car, as long as your front end is slightly ahead of the person beside you, you can typically signal and drift into the next lane and they will give it to you. This is completely the opposite of my driving experience in Canada and the US (40 years). I am still not completely used to how courteous the drivers are here.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

kramnala58 wrote:
homie wrote:It's very gracious of these people driving cars if you ask me because someone here would simply take pleasure in denying access to anyone passing.
Whether it is a bike or a car, as long as your front end is slightly ahead of the person beside you, you can typically signal and drift into the next lane and they will give it to you. This is completely the opposite of my driving experience in Canada and the US (40 years). I am still not completely used to how courteous the drivers are here.
Yep Kramer, those are some very tolerate cager's over in Bangkok town
Attachments
mac4.jpg
mac4.jpg (12.71 KiB) Viewed 4484 times
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

Catch 22.. In most US jurisdictions Its illegal to pass another vehicle using the same lane and its illegal to pass on the right side using the same lane, and you cannot drive in excess speed for current conditions . All of which can and will be used against you in court if you have an accident.May be legal but ????????
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Where I live 'legal' is whatever they can get away with. There are so many lawyers per square mile here that many of them make their own laws because they can challenge any law made. Heck, it is illegal to block an intersection, yet every day I see cars blocking the intersection. The street in front of our subdivision has a posted 45 mph sign, and yet my SUV was hit by someone doing between 65 and 80 mph, and I got the ticket for getting in their way! Essentially, it isn't the law that govern a driver's behavior . It is their attitude.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

Most big cities ignore traffic laws and secretly claim they concentrate on crimes until there is an accident, then they will find a way to issue a ticket. Many big cities will utilize a traffic enforcement division which generally consists of motorcycles and radar units. In contrast most smaller cities utilize traffic enforcement as their priority function and crime fighting as a secondary function. The money is in traffic enforcement and they need to pay for their new big ass SUV cars somehow don't they?? I digress, if you look hard enough there is a law against everything you do and a lawyer will find it or make it ..LOL. If you choose to lane split just be careful as I am sure things will get murky when the law suits start to fly???
lust

Post by lust »

People think it's dangerous but it's not. Think about it, when you have millions of motorcycles on the roads, cars are very aware of their surroundings and very alert with motorcycles. Compare it to the USA where you might see a few bikes on your conmute. People don't just blindly open their doors... I live here.
lust

Post by lust »

Mel46 wrote:I have to wonder how many car doors end up scratched or dented on a daily basis over in Bangkok. It looks to me like the car is the minority over there. In fact, if you use a car over there it looks like you will have to pad your expected travel time considerably. That goes a long way in explaining 3 to 5 people on a scooter too!
Yes scratches happen. But repairs are dirt cheap here. + 5people on a bike is not to save time, it's lack of money.
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus

Post by kramnala58 »

lust wrote:People think it's dangerous but it's not. Think about it, when you have millions of motorcycles on the roads, cars are very aware of their surroundings and very alert with motorcycles. Compare it to the USA where you might see a few bikes on your conmute. People don't just blindly open their doors... I live here.
It is hard to explain it to those who are not actually in it. I was surprised when I first moved here in 2012, but soon came to understand that it is the "norm" and not near as dangerous as it sounds or appears.

Where in Thailand do you live?
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

kramnala58 wrote:I was surprised when I first moved here in 2012, but soon came to understand that it is the "norm" and not near as dangerous as it sounds or appears.
Agreed, getting into the inner city is fast and scary as hell but once there i'm crawling around safe and sound.
lust

Post by lust »

I'm at Phloen Chit BTS. You?
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus

Post by kramnala58 »

lust wrote:I'm at Phloen Chit BTS. You?
We are real close. I am between Nana & Asoke BTS. Soi 10