Accommodation on trips

Anything and everything not related to anything else on this site.

Moderator: Modsquad

Monty1952
Regular User
Regular User

Accommodation on trips

Post by Monty1952 »

Have a few longer trips in mind this year which I have not done on two wheels before. Does anyone have any thoughts on hotels/motels on the road. Do you travel and just wing it picking something on the road? Do you book ahead or perhaps get on hotels.com at some point on the road? Any particular hotel chains more biker friendly? Have done lots of road trips by car but suspect on two wheels it's a bit different.
2014 Forza - Silver 2,300km
2013 BMW C600 Sport 0km!
tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 PCX 150
Color: Red

Re: Accommodation on trips

Post by tbln930 »

There are a couple of these rating/locator services.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/

http://hotelguides.com/
2017 Kawasaki Versys X 300 ABS (Graphite) - 775 miles - Terry Adcox saddle, T-Rex skid, SW-Motech crash bars, Madstad windshield, Givi 30L top case, Ram X-Grip, thermometer, OEM center stand, OEM hand guards

2014 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 ABS Adventure (Candy Daring Red) - 8650 miles - too fast Givi Airflow WS, Givi V47 mount, Givi crash Bars, Givi skid plate, Ravetech GPS mount, USB power outlet, Easter Beaver Fuse box, Denali DR1 LEDs, MondoMoto LEDs, Tool Tube, Zumo 665 GPS, Cobra radar detector, Mobius HD camera

2013 Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS Adventure (Metallic Thunder Gray) - Sold

2013 Honda PCX 150 (Candy Rose Red) - Sold

SECoda/tbln930
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Any time I've done long trips on two wheels the accomodation was a tent.
Only ever booked in to a hotel or B&B if the weather was truly shocking.
Tent gives you the option to go wherever the notion takes you.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Monty1952
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Monty1952 »

tbln930 wrote:There are a couple of these rating/locator services.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/

http://hotelguides.com/
Is that what you use on the road?
2013 BMW C600 Sport 0km!
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

I don't camp, so no info or suggestions about tents and the like from moi.
However! I've read on other forums, that members stay at a hotel/motel and ask for a first (bottom) floor room set away from the office & towards the side or back of the building. That way, they can roll their bike inside in the dark of evening. You can get a good nights sleep that way ;)
"Don't Worry, Be Happy!" (corny, but it's yer goal :D )
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Monty1952
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Monty1952 »

WhiteNoise wrote:I've read on other forums, that members stay at a hotel/motel and ask for a first (bottom) floor room set away from the office & towards the side or back of the building. That way, they can roll their bike inside in the dark of evening. You can get a good nights sleep that way ;)
Then put that screaming disc lock on and keep the gun beside your bed - lol
2013 BMW C600 Sport 0km!
tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 PCX 150
Color: Red

Post by tbln930 »

Sometimes. We have used Trip Advisor to get hotels and ratings but don't tend to travel very far without flying (Hawaii or Alaska) or pulling the RV. Then we use Good Sam. GS is good for tent camping. We typically rent an entire house at our destination (We did that in Ouray, CO, Orlando, FL, and are renting a log home on Table Rock Lake, MO) and use the RV for camping most of the year on weekends and stuff. We used Trip Advisor once to find a hotel on the way to Orlando. The others we drove straight through. We toured Alaska and had a guide help us with the resorts.

If you enter your route on Good Sam or Trip Advisor they will identify all of the hotels and camping spots as well as costs and ratings.

http://www.goodsamclub.com/travel/freet ... oCrsrw_wcB
2017 Kawasaki Versys X 300 ABS (Graphite) - 775 miles - Terry Adcox saddle, T-Rex skid, SW-Motech crash bars, Madstad windshield, Givi 30L top case, Ram X-Grip, thermometer, OEM center stand, OEM hand guards

2014 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 ABS Adventure (Candy Daring Red) - 8650 miles - too fast Givi Airflow WS, Givi V47 mount, Givi crash Bars, Givi skid plate, Ravetech GPS mount, USB power outlet, Easter Beaver Fuse box, Denali DR1 LEDs, MondoMoto LEDs, Tool Tube, Zumo 665 GPS, Cobra radar detector, Mobius HD camera

2013 Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS Adventure (Metallic Thunder Gray) - Sold

2013 Honda PCX 150 (Candy Rose Red) - Sold

SECoda/tbln930
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Monty1952 wrote:
WhiteNoise wrote:I've read on other forums, that members stay at a hotel/motel and ask for a first (bottom) floor room set away from the office & towards the side or back of the building. That way, they can roll their bike inside in the dark of evening. You can get a good nights sleep that way ;)
Then put that screaming disc lock on and keep the gun beside your bed - lol
Nope. I'd rather get a good nights sleep with my White inside and "Be fresh as a Daisy" for early morn traveling. I dislike disc locks too. Get some rest on yer trip(s) Monty,....relax, rest, 'n ride :P "Bang!Bang!"
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Monty1952
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Monty1952 »

Thanks SECoda - my preference is to not wing it as I have ran into trouble doing that. Once on the way home to Toronto from Virginia I thought I would stop after 12 hours driving around Erie not far from Cleveland only to find the Erie fair on. Then it was an extra 4 hours and almost midnight before I could get a room in a greasy Buffalo motel!

gn2 - would consider the camping except my plans include quite a few desert areas in Arizona, Nevada and California. In the UK I would pack a small tent without a second thought as I did for a long time when I lived there and cycled.
2013 BMW C600 Sport 0km!
Monty1952
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Monty1952 »

WhiteNoise - I bought a disk lock with alarm when I bought the Forza. It's still in the packet untouched! I like your thinking though in general and want to be on the road early and spending some time in later afternoon/evening to enjoy a destination, not freaking out late in the day worrying about where I am staying.
2013 BMW C600 Sport 0km!
katiameza
Year: 2016
Color: black

Post by katiameza »

For the solving the accommodation problems on vacation one must have the contact details of good Personal Concierge Service in that area.The guys will provide you best hotel and all the facilities that are required during vacation.
ReptilesBlade
Year: 2016
Color: Silver

Post by ReptilesBlade »

tbln930 wrote:Sometimes. We have used Trip Advisor to get hotels and ratings but don't tend to travel very far without flying (Hawaii or Alaska) or pulling the RV. Then we use Good Sam. GS is good for tent camping. We typically rent an entire house at our destination (We did that in Ouray, CO, Orlando, FL, and are renting a log home on Table Rock Lake, MO) and use the RV for camping most of the year on weekends and stuff. We used Trip Advisor once to find a hotel on the way to Orlando. The others we drove straight through. We toured Alaska and had a guide help us with the resorts.

If you enter your route on Good Sam or Trip Advisor they will identify all of the hotels and camping spots as well as costs and ratings.

http://www.goodsamclub.com/travel/freet ... oCrsrw_wcB
I want to take up touring on my PCX this year. Thanks for the recommend. This site might help me a lot.
DanFromVegas
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Black

Post by DanFromVegas »

I have used hotels.com while on the road. I've also just looked for the cheap hotel signs from the highway. I have had good luck with KOA camping but they charge the same for a scooter as they do for a 40' RV.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

We use booking.com and just book something local on the night. Not sure you have that but if not there must be something similar?

Great places and choice of prices.