Deer Whistles

Anything and everything not related to anything else on this site.

Moderator: Modsquad

PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Deer Whistles

Post by PCX150Rider »

Picked up some "Bell" Deer Whistles today.

https://www.bellautomotive.com/Bell-Aut ... 1000-8.htm

Have them on everything I drive. All I can say is I haven't had a deer jump or run into any of my vehicles since I started using them. Now I'm trying to figure out the best place to mount them on the PCX. I'm thinking on the flat spots on the lower sides of the fairing or on some flat spots under the headlight (possible interference when suspension bottoms out).

Anyone else use them?
DCP_1540ab.JPG
DCP_1540ab.JPG (89.42 KiB) Viewed 995 times
DCP_1550ab.JPG
DCP_1550ab.JPG (105.79 KiB) Viewed 995 times
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Re: Deer Whistles

Post by homie »

Just last night a quarter til midnight a big doe lopped across my headlights. Working late resetting the TPS on the Buell you must keep the RPM down a few miles so the ECM can recalculate throttle position. I was at a manageable speed when she crossed on a forest preserve highway, didn't think much about it because I ride with Jesus ;)
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

homie wrote:Just last night a quarter til midnight a big doe lopped across my headlights. Working late resetting the TPS on the Buell you must keep the RPM down a few miles so the ECM can recalculate throttle position. I was at a manageable speed when she crossed on a forest preserve highway, didn't think much about it because I ride with Jesus ;)

He'll have a Harley, obviously.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

So, is your Buell one of the 1125cc ones or a 1190 ?
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Mel46 wrote:So, is your Buell one of the 1125cc ones or a 1190 ?
#13 on the dope list, only mine is an XB9R

http://www.complex.com/sports/2012/02/t ... ever-made/
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

#13 on the dope list, only mine is an XB9R
That Buell is only going up in value. . .I'd keep it as a retirement dream come true. You'll have people making offers to buy that thing when you're stopped waiting for a light to change or just getting gas and lottery tickets at the local convenience store. ;)

While I was at the Honda/Kaw dealer finishing up business on my PCX last week I took a look at the ZX-14 speedometer. . .tops out at 180 MPH. Holy Jesus indeed. . .if I was on that thing I'd have Jesus riding pillion for sure. My Bandit GSF1200S speedometer goes up to 170 MPH (not as fast as a Hayabusa or ZX-14 by any means) but definitely makes you forget about everything else going on in the world for a breath or two. o_O

A little off topic but if you're interested https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDSJ3ddQcPk

Fortunately Bambi was sleeping. :lol:

Seriously though I've had serious damage done to a car and a truck by deer (totally not my fault) and since I started using deer whistles it's never happened again. . .been almost 30 years now. . .maybe it's luck but if it is I'll take it. 8)
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

PCX150Rider wrote:That Buell is only going up in value. Seriously though I've had serious damage done to a car and a truck by deer (totally not my fault) and since I started using deer whistles it's never happened again. . .been almost 30 years now. . .maybe it's luck but if it is I'll take it. 8)
My father-in-law swears by those deer horns, claims never having any strikes... but neither has most people without them, guess it can't hurt to put one. Right now all I have is a gremlin bell. It does ring all the way down the road and I never had a gremlin climb on board yet :lol:

DOPE BIKE PIC
Attachments
Buell XB9R.jpg
Buell XB9R.jpg (270.08 KiB) Viewed 968 times
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

That is one fine machine indeed. The "Corbin" looks great. Definitely a dry weather only ride. Museum quality. 8)
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

First let me comment on deer whistles. My sister-in-law lives in rural Pennsylvania. She has deer whistles on all of the family vehicles. They have had 3...yes 3...totalled cars because of deer jumping in front of their vehicle during evening drives, and her son ended up in the hospital when his bike tangled with a wild cat of some sort during regular traffic hours. I have to conclude that they work sometimes.... and sometimes they don't.

Now let's talk about those crotch rockets. 1. You have a very nice looking bike. 2. What is the purpose of that MTT Turbine?? Gas mileage must suck on that Thing! I wonder if it goes as fast as a Hayabusa. I read somewhere that there is a Hayabusa out that has 2 turbochargers on it. I guess 200 mph isn't fast enough??
3. If I were just a tad bit younger I could see the draw of those. Oh to be young again! :-(
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

I keep mine as a reminder that if I don't stay in reasonable shape in my retirement I'll be wasting my money insuring and renewing my registration for something I can't get a leg over anymore. :roll:
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

PCX150Rider wrote:I keep mine as a reminder that if I don't stay in reasonable shape in my retirement I'll be wasting my money insuring and renewing my registration for something I can't get a leg over anymore. :roll:
2 to 4 years before I move on down south, won't be able to ride it most of the year due to the heat. I will be 'all scooter all the time' (ASATT) and semi squid :lol:
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

2 to 4 years before I move on down south, won't be able to ride it most of the year due to the heat. I will be 'all scooter all the time' (ASATT) and semi squid :lol:
It does get hot from GA to FL and the critters are different. Just ask Mel. ;)

Here's a pick of my Bandit in days of yore before I added the deer whistles, trunk, Saeng/TA Night-Cutters, and Rifle windscreen. It's aging into it's 20th model year. Five more and it gets the Antique plate. I since put the stock mirrors back on and transferred the Napoleon mirrors to my KLR. The Rally Sport Packs got moved to my Roughhouse. It's all good. :lol:
Capek.JPG
Capek.JPG (65.75 KiB) Viewed 935 times
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

That's nice... you know whats good about street bikes and dirt roads?
No running boards :D sorry i'm a monkish type who hates to see soil on anything.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Before I bought my first scooter I had not heard of running boards on a bike. Then, when I was somewhat young still, I saw a movie in which these people were in Europe and everyone had scooters....and then I followed the Bourne series and saw them again. Of course, I also saw motorcycles. Made me wonder why everyone here absolutely must drive baby semi's. Bikes have only one disadvantage...weather. in India they hook things up to their bikes and haul whole families around.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

I really can't understand how you have to add so much crap to bikes.

It's counter intuitive.

Coffee cup holders ffs
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

That's nice... you know whats good about street bikes and dirt roads?
No running boards :D sorry i'm a monkish type who hates to see soil on anything.
Good point. . . ;)

Actually I had the Bandit parked just off to the side of a paved road that goes through a huge orchard, apples, peaches, all that sort of thing. The location is Middlefield, CT U.S.A.. In the background are the hills of the famous Powder Ridge Ski Resort. The place where back in 1970 a concert that could have continued the momentum set at Woodstock never officially happened. It was halted and although the major players backed out over 30,000 people still showed up. :o

The ski resort (buildings are at the base of the hill and not visible in this pic) still runs during the winter months depending upon how much snow and cold snow-making weather nature summons up.

I was too young (in my parents view) to attend and remember riding in the family car by one of the access roads that were blocked off by State Police to control the situation. No internet back then. . .it was something that was going on in the eyes of the masses until they got there and found out otherwise. . .or heard it on the local radio stations on the way. :?

Here's a video that say's it all. . .. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xeK-k9BRtQ 8)
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

I came to the conclusion that the best place to install the "Bell" deer whistles I bought without interfering with any form, fit, or function of the PCX was on the top surface of the fairing. I'm not sure how effective they will be but I tried to allow open space between in order to satisfy the manufacturer's recommendations. They mention in the instructions that it's not a good idea to install them on sides of vehicles or areas that may block the intended functionality of their purpose. There wasn't enough clearance in my opinion to install them under the headlight. There wasn't enough material or clearance to mount them on the front reflectors fork tube mounting brackets. Mounting them on the sides would defeat the purpose. So this is the best result I could come up with for me. Time will tell if the deer hear me coming and just keep munching on whatever roadside vegetation they crave and not get into a panic. During the "rut" season I try to be extra aware of their popular hang outs and pass with caution.
DCP_1573ab.JPG
DCP_1573ab.JPG (111.83 KiB) Viewed 900 times
DCP_1574a.jpg
DCP_1574a.jpg (323.2 KiB) Viewed 900 times
DCP_1579a.jpg
DCP_1579a.jpg (274.74 KiB) Viewed 900 times
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

HEY there is nothing wrong with that! 8)

Even youyou would have to say that's an acceptable accessory and he hates accessories :lol:
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

homie wrote:HEY there is nothing wrong with that! 8)

Even youyou would have to say that's an acceptable accessory and he hates accessories :lol:
I like them. You could pretend they were James Bond machine guns as you were riding along... :D
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

I like them. You could pretend they were James Bond machine guns as you were riding along... :D
Yeah. . .they do sort of look like that. Just need to add sound effects. :lol:

I don't know if the windscreen deflects air around the whistles or not though. Will try putting some paper strips "in way of" to see any pattern of currents.

Sir Roger Moore, may he rest in Peace. :geek: