Android or iOS ?

Anything and everything not related to anything else on this site.

Moderator: Modsquad

Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Android or iOS ?

Post by Alibally »

I know this is very off topic but I am due an upgrade on my mobile shortly and can't make my mind up what to get. My last was an android but her indoors has an iPhone . Any opinions folks?
TC3
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Android or iOS ?

Post by TC3 »

Had the iphone 3 gs and was a good phone but very limited unless you jail break it. Much happier with my sony neo android. Being a photo geek I like lots of control of the camera and iphone does not allow it. Very rarely I find an application for iphone not avaliable on android. If you can live with the restrictions apple likes to impose the iphone is a good phone. I do not really like being put on a leash so am happier with the android.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

By all means buy an iPhone if you want to be one of the iCrowd and look iCool as you iPose around the place.
Better yet, Asda are doing PAYG mobiles for £7 instore and get an Orange Racoon SIM only contract with unlimited anytime calls to landlines for just £10.50 a month.
If you want to take pictures, get a camera.
Sorry for ranting, just can't help being a grumpy old man some times.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

My Droid II gets less than a day of battery life, and it has been that way since new. If I could get a new phone, I'd try an iPhone next. Most of my coworkers have them, and they seem more happy with their phones than I am with mine.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
Woolley
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Woolley »

Get an iphone 4 if you can get it jailbroken. iclarified.com has tutorials for jailbreaking. Go with the 4, not the 4S though. The only thing on the 4S is a slightly better camera and some voice recognition crap that doesnt work, its not worth the extra money. I test phones all day long at work so i know my stuff :)
The only android phone i would recommend is a galaxy s 2, but id still get an iphone 4 over that any day. Plus the galaxy S 3 is coming out in January.
ImageImage ImageImage Image
EddieC
Regular User
Regular User

Post by EddieC »

Agree with woolley. I've tried 4 different android phones and 3 iphones (2G, 3G, 3GS). While each android phone was slightly better than the last, I still absolutely hated them. I've always returned to an iphone. I'm a whore with phones, so I always like to try something new, and every time I've tried android I've regretted it. Currently, I have the google2 phone (G2 or HTC magic?) and am getting an iphone 4 next week.
rich666
Regular User
Regular User

Post by rich666 »

I've stuck with a Nokia N8 this time round.

The Camera is a Carl Zeiss lensed 12m pixel and the software is Symbian

I know it's not as flash as an iPhone or an Android based machine but it is very reliable, you can get loads of Apps for it and the battery lasts at least 3 days between charges :D
it tastes like...Eagle!
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Android or iOS ?

Post by Alibally »

I had a Symbian Nokia E72 before and wasn't very impressed. I don't think it was the OS but the phone was pretty crap. Froze up and crashed all the time. I got a HTC wildfire after that which is a reasonably cheap android but I found its a bit slow but is reliable. The thing I like about apple stuff is the quality of the hardware and the variety of apps. Sometimes the android apps are a bit hit and miss. I have a few weeks to decide yet so a few trips to the phone shops for a fiddle is in order.
Woolley
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Woolley »

the wildfire S is MUCH better than the original wildfire.
spongebobnopants

Post by spongebobnopants »

Had an iPhone 4, gave it to the wife and picked up a droid bionic... After 4-6 weeks of unfixable bugs, Verizon bought me another iPhone 4 and I'm Happy again. I have had plenty of android phones and they all ended with software fragmentation, poor support lack of support or just got left in the dust by its next replacement.

I bought all the Moto accessories for the bionic in hopes that all would work. The car dock was EPIC fail and would not work in portrait mode. It could also not sustain a charge from the moto car charger if less than 70% battery. The battery lasted 3/4 a day with barely any use.

I have had Samsung, HTC and a few older droids... the manufacturer's puked their flavor of android with a few carrier sprinkles to make it flaky enough to piss off the most casual user. SO even if google came out with an update or fix the, device manufacturer and the carrier had to create their custom build and release it 6 months later on a phone they already made their money on.

I know that Apple fans are ofter called blind loyalists, but I tell you what, it does EVERTHING I need it to and better than any droid I have ever had. Same goes for my iPad too.

FWIW, I have my bionic ready as a backup. I try to avoid platform specific apps, so I can quickly migrate back to Android if I had to. I also like that Android exists as competition to Apple, I just wish they were a better competitor vs. good enough.
Cookie

Post by Cookie »

This was iateresting reading since I'm also gonna be looking for a new phone soon.
I've been thinking of an iPhone of some sort. However I already have an iPad. Is it worth having an iPhone as well or would I just be duplicating some of what I already have?
Cookie
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Android or iOS ?

Post by Alibally »

I have an IPad as well so it has the advantage of being able to sync over iCloud between the phone and pad. Eg. If you buy an app or music on one device it automatically syncs to the other so it's quite useful. Apart from that the iPhone is a great phone.
tuanies
Regular User
Regular User

Post by tuanies »

Picked up an iPhone 4S for my wife, the updated backlit sensor and F/2.4 lens does very well in low light and better than most cheap point n shoot cameras. The dual-core A5 still has the best graphics processor in a mobile device (same one as the iPad 2) - so if you want to play mobile games that look comparable to a 3DS or PSP, the 4s is the way to go.

I'm not due for an upgrade until the end of January and stuck between Galaxy Nexus or iPhone 4s myself. I refuse to buy an Android phone that is not vanilla Android. I don't care what manufacturers think, their UI layered on top of Android is always horrible - that includes MotoBlur, HTC Sense and Samsung Touchwiz. Ice Cream Sandwich looks nice, and the fast Google updates are promising and the 4G is also nice, but the 4s is dual-band for CDMA and GSM so it would be nice when I'm in Asia.

But I may as well wait until the next iPhone if I can get Cyanogenmod 9 on my DroidX or HTC Incredible. The Galaxy Nexus is nice, but the hardware is nothing to be excited about. The iPhone 4s is nice as well, but if I'm going to be stuck for 20 months on a contract, I may as well wait for an LTE version.

Also, Samsung Galaxy S2 is nice on paper but I would never get a Samsung phone, they are horrible with updates, as in the Samsung Fascinate (Galaxy S1) just got an update to Froyo when everyone else was getting Gingerbread.
Woolley
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Android or iOS ?

Post by Woolley »

An iPad is pretty much just a big iPod touch. Ive never seen the point in an iPad, it's not portable enough to carry around with you, and when your at home you can just use your computer anyway. So I wouldn't buy both if I was you. If anything I would sell the iPad to buy an iPhone. As previously said the iPhone has amazing graphics, the screen has more pixels than your eye can physically see, so in a way it's better resolution than real life :lol:
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Free phone at Asda

Post by gn2 »

Asda now selling Samsung PAYG mobiles including £5 call credit for the princely sum of £5.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Woolley
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Free phone at Asda

Post by Woolley »

gn2 wrote:Asda now selling Samsung PAYG mobiles including £5 call credit for the princely sum of £5.
But can it be used as a satnav? or to go on this forum? or check emails? or go on youtube? or check the weather? or send pictures and videos? or check your bank balance? or go on ebay? or even a camera? or find your nearest petrol station? or measure your PCX's top/average speed? or as a webcam? or a compass? or play music? or to play games at work on the toilet? :lol:
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord

Post by maddiedog »

GN2 is a traditionalist, he only uses his computer for all that. :lol:

I felt the same until I got my Droid. No matter how much I bitch about the battery life being awful, I still couldn't live without it. The thing is my lifeline to work, the internet, and my friends. Having the whole world in my pocket through the internet is invaluable to me.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
EddieC
Regular User
Regular User

Post by EddieC »

can you not achieve the same thing with an iDevice?
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord

Post by maddiedog »

iCould, but iHave to wait until iCan get an upgrade. ;)
EddieC
Regular User
Regular User

Post by EddieC »

haha! fine then :lol: