Moderator: Modsquad

maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Winterization

Post by maddiedog »

Winterization is necessary if you are leaving your scooter off for more than a month. Below are some good steps to follow to ensure your scooter will run well when the next riding season comes around.

1. Fill up with fresh gas.

2. Add fuel stabilizer to your tank. I recommend Seafoam or Sta-bil. You should be able to obtain either from your local Wal-mart or a car parts store (Napa, Autozone, etc).

3. Go for a quick ride around the block to get the stabilizer mixed through the fuel system. A 5-minute ride is sufficient.

4. Hook up your bike to a trickle charger. If you're storing the bike in an area with no climate control, your battery will last a lot longer if you bring it inside in addition to hooking it up to a charger. The Battery Tender Jr (look for it on Amazon.com) works great with the PCX.

5. Clean the bike, and apply a bit of wax to make sure the paint is clean and protected. Without a cleaning, any chemicals on the paint will sit all winter and could eat away the paint all winter. I like to use Pledge on my inner plastics, it makes them look new again.

6. Oil the metal parts. Put a tiny bit of oil on a rag (any type will do), and wipe down any exposed metal, such as the exhaust, engine, centerstand, etc. to protect from rust. Don't apply a thick layer, be minimalistic.

7. Plug the exhaust with a rag to make sure nothing decides to nest in it over the winter. o_O

8. Lock it up if you're leaving it outside, and put a cover over it to protect it from the elements.

Come springtime, reinstall your battery if removed, remove the rag from the exhaust, remember to undo your brake disc lock if you put one on (d'oh), and start it up. Take it for a ride around the block, DO AN OIL CHANGE, then ride as usual.

If you have any questions on the process or anything to add, post in General. I can always update this post. ;)