Anyone Have Any Experience With a Honda Fit (a.k.a. Jazz)???

When weather goes to crap, you still have to get there somehow...

Moderator: Modsquad

PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Anyone Have Any Experience With a Honda Fit (a.k.a. Jazz)???

Post by PCX150Rider »

Just wondered if anybody out there has any views, experience, or opinions about the Honda Fit, or Jazz as it be known in other countries or U.K.. It's that subcompact that's been around for about a decade now and is continuously improving. Recently they've added insulated glass to reduce noise and an actual volume knob (again) for the dash Touch-Screen display. TBH I like it. My 14 year old cage is getting a little long in the tooth and I'd like to trade it in while the frame is still good everything works. :geek:

Since I like water related recreation activities it would be ideal for carting around my inflatable boat. I've even thought about stuffing a 10 ft. kayak in the thing rather than putting it on roof racks (which make noise at highway speeds and are subject to theft). Being a Honda it's got a little 1.5 liter engine that works best with the 6 speed manual and it allows you to get more control out of it. I'm surprised that they haven't done an "Si" version yet. For me the manual would be the tranny of choice. The CVT is about $800 more but lacks the thrill and feeling of that old adage, "It's more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow" :D

Anyhow, comparing it to other market offerings in form, fit (no pun intended), and function it seems like a great value and well engineered. Ratings are highly respectable.

It's not for everybody (especially if you are concerned about noise, feel a need for cushioned surfaces all over the place, or have to get to the light at the next intersection first) but IMHO does put the "sense" in "sensibility". 8)

I think of it as a mini mini van. Which, at the end of the day, costs about half what a full size accessorized mini van would cost. :roll:

The video below is well done and gives a good description of the 2018 "Sport" model and how it performs. Since it's a bit detailed you can cut to the chase at around 13:00. :o

Regular User
Regular User
Color: 15 Forza

Re: Anyone Have Any Experience With a Honda Fit (a.k.a. Jazz

Post by 87112 »

A Honda Fit seems like a good investment as far as cars go. They demand thousands over say a Nissan Versa Note hatch which ain't exactly chop liver. The resale value is ridiculous good, the latest models used go for what other similar hatchbacks go for new. I think it is stunning looking at some angles with the proper alloy wheels.
You get your money back at resale time so its not a big gamble to me to get one.
:geek:
Oyabun
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: `12,`15,`19
Color: black&black

Post by Oyabun »

The we have one in the family and everybody loves it.
I'd add to the previous comment, that besides its practicality and vert good resale value it has very low maintenance costs, and that 1.5 (our earlier version has a 1.4) engine is very economic to run even without any complicated hybrid finickyness.
If it otherwise fits your bill, it is hard to find any problem with the idea.
raito
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: matte silver

Post by raito »

It is my type of car, and if ever I was in the market for one, it would be on top of my list.
ImageImageImage
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

If you like it, want it and can afford it, what are you waiting for?

But if it wuz me I would be having a (lightly) used Nissan Versa Note for a whole lot less money.
http://cpo.nissanusa.com/search-invento ... ls-jvcez4q
http://cpo.nissanusa.com/search-invento ... ls-mgcej93
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

If you like it, want it and can afford it, what are you waiting for?
Good point! :lol:

I looked at the Versa and Versa Note (Hatchback) and the price is certainly competitive. The thing is the Fit has more cargo capacity and that front passenger seat will fold down to handle longer items.

Years ago I had a Ford Festiva (actually was made by KIA) with a 1.5L engine and manual shift. It was kind of like a "Mini". That thing was great. When I look back I wish I didn't sell it. :roll:
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Dave (Maddiedog) has at least one. The last time I saw him he had 2, but he may have traded in one now that their second child has arrived. It is a good car, but I think it would be really crowded with two small children and all that goes with them when they have to be transported somewhere.
For economy it is great. For the young it is great. For us old Folks, not so much. We need more comfort for our aging bones.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

Thanks to everyone for their feedback! I value the comments. :D

Mel - I know what you mean about aging bones. It sounds like the seats are fairly spacious and comfortable from what I've seen on YouTube videos though. Years ago I had a Honda Civic DX Hatchback and remember how that was driving to GA and back. . .not bad actually. I would have kept that car but when my second daughter came along we decided having a 4-door vehicle for getting the car seat in and out would be easier and more practical. Not too long after that my wife traded in her car for a mini van. And now the kids are all grown up and I've got my life back again. Yippeee!!!!! :lol:

I thought about bigger vehicles but at the end of the day I just don't want to play that "Keep up with the Jone's" anymore. Since the Fit is so well liked for what it is/does I may go for it. Time will tell. At this stage of the game I've really got to be careful not to be a slave to my possessions. :roll:

Since you've had some time in "the air" then you know that at 5000 ft a Chevy Suburban doesn't look that big next to a Yaris right? If you can see them. . .. It's all relative. LOL!!! :lol:
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

PCX150Rider wrote:Thanks to everyone for their feedback! I value the comments. :D

Mel - I know what you mean about aging bones. It sounds like the seats are fairly spacious and comfortable from what I've seen on YouTube videos though. Years ago I had a Honda Civic DX Hatchback and remember how that was driving to GA and back. . .not bad actually. I would have kept that car but when my second daughter came along we decided having a 4-door vehicle for getting the car seat in and out would be easier and more practical. Not too long after that my wife traded in her car for a mini van. And now the kids are all grown up and I've got my life back again. Yippeee!!!!! :lol:

I thought about bigger vehicles but at the end of the day I just don't want to play that "Keep up with the Jone's" anymore. Since the Fit is so well liked for what it is/does I may go for it. Time will tell. At this stage of the game I've really got to be careful not to be a slave to my possessions. :roll:

Since you've had some time in "the air" then you know that at 5000 ft a Chevy Suburban doesn't look that big next to a Yaris right? If you can see them. . .. It's all relative. LOL!!! :lol:
You live in the USA. Why are you piddling around thinking about a Honda Jazz.

What has the world come to?
JohnL
Ozzie Old Fart
Ozzie Old Fart
Year: 2015
Color: Dark Red

Post by JohnL »

We have one and it's our main drive. Traded in a VW Golf R twelve months ago and haven't regretted it for a moment. My son has a Jazz about 8 years old with approximately 280,000km on the clock and about another 40,00 not on the clock. It still has the original motor, and compression is close to original psi on all four cylinders. Back then they had eight spark plugs, and most modern motor mechanics still aren't aware of that fact. One bank of four are in full view, the other four are invisible on first inspection. They get by on four in the newer versions.

Nuff said. :-)
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

Ha Ha. . . I never outgrew my rebellious youth!

The big cars and houses and piles of stuff do create WOW factor but after the novelty wears off all things become familiar or normal. Familiarity breeds contempt as they say. So I like to keep it simple if I can. As the Stones use to say. . .. ;)

PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

Again thanks to everyone for their views on the Fit (Jazz)!

It sounds like they market them all over the planet.

John - Any petrol stations in the outback? That's where MPG comes in handy eh? Thanks for letting me know about the plugs. As I understand it they do use just 4 now. No turbo. . .fuel injection though on that tried and true 1.5L. :D

I don't need AWD because I don't have to commute to a job anymore so I can sort of pick and choose when I drive (snow days). Besides you can always get good snow tires or put these on it. . ..

So it's not worth the extra $$ to me to get the HR-V. Also, it's a bit tight in the back of the CR-V for 3 adults from what I understand (shoulder to shoulder) so what's the point of paying all the extra money when you can still only sit 2 people comfortably there. Leg room is OK in the CR-V and HR-V but shoulder to shoulder is the crux of the matter. So the Fit will seat 4 people with relative comfort (as long as they aren't complaining sniveling wimps who never finish a meal and waste food. . .sorry. . .I digress). The cargo space is awesome for the vehicle size. Great MPG. Touch screen with a volume knob now on the dash. Honda reliability. An EX with a stick for right around 20K OTD maybe?

Sorry. . .it's not all about me. But from what I'm hearing from everyone so far this thing is great. I kind of feel like I did around this time last year when I was thinking about getting the PCX. 8)
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

PCX150Rider wrote:

Ha Ha. . . I never outgrew my rebellious youth!

The big cars and houses and piles of stuff do create WOW factor but after the novelty wears off all things become familiar or normal. Familiarity breeds contempt as they say. So I like to keep it simple if I can. As the Stones use to say. . .. ;)

:lol: :lol:
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Here's a man who knew what he wanted

Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

Here's a man who knew what he wanted
Indeed! Chuck Berry sure did record some great car tunes. . .. 8)

I noticed the cat on the hood. Mine told me if I get the Fit then he wants one of these. :lol:

Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I think that if I had not had 8 back surgeries I would consider a Fit, or another Civic. We have had several Honda Civics. Our kids have had some as well. I love Hondas. However, as I have said, after all of these back surgeries I need more comfort when I ride or drive. That being said, I am on a fixed income, so I can't afford an expensive, comfortable car, unless it is used. I looked at a used Honda Accord but they are still expensive. Honda does hold its value. I would say go for the Fit. It should maintain its value years later.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

Eight surgeries? Holy cow! o_O

Damn. . .. :roll:

I see what you mean. Maybe a used Crown Vic or Mercury Marquis or Town Car that's been sitting in a garage with low miles and is looking for a new driver perhaps? :geek:

Go directly to "Comfort County". . .do not pass "Go". . .collect $200 by all means possible! :D
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

Mel - This is a link to a Craigslist deal up in my region. Just using it as an example of what I was referring to for a big car comfortable ride at a low price with a good 50K miles of life left in it.

https://newhaven.craigslist.org/cto/d/0 ... 49897.html

You don't see deals like this often but occasionally they pop up. Good luck with finding what you need in your area. . ..

Again, sorry to hear about your back problems. I read before that you had issues with it but I didn't know you've been through so many visits to the operating room. :geek:
Regular User
Regular User
Color: 15 Forza

Post by 87112 »

If you can swing a bit more and need quiet and comfort why not a VW Golf? from what I have read its the rolls royce ride of small cars. I think the VW reliablity worries are overblown. In China taxis in big numbers are VWs and god knows taxis take a beating.
:geek:
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

You're better with a Skoda than a VW.
Cheaper and more reliable.
http://www.jdpower.com/press-releases/2 ... lity-study