my winter transport

When weather goes to crap, you still have to get there somehow...

Moderator: Modsquad

Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

my winter transport

Post by Alibally »

This is my car for when I don't use the PCX. I have have it for nearly 6 years and it has been bulletproof so far. it has just clocked over the 100,000 miles last week and is still going strong. The picture is a bit blurry as i took it through the window of the local chippy one night as i was waiting for my fish supper.
Attachments
merc.jpg
merc.jpg (180.9 KiB) Viewed 4946 times
Woolley
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: my winter transport

Post by Woolley »

I like the alloys alot.
ImageImage ImageImage Image
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

my winter transport

Post by Alibally »

245/40x17's on the back and 225/45x17 on the front. Not good in snow though.
Woolley
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

my winter transport

Post by Woolley »

Is it rear wheel drive? I've never experienced rear wheel drive in snow but this is my first winter with an automatic, hopefully I don't get stuck.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

All Merc saloons and estates are rear wheel drive.
AFAIK the only front wheel drive Merc is the A class.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

my winter transport

Post by Alibally »

RWD in snow = drifting fun
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

Nice, I like the green.

Mercs are good cars, my father has a C-class and it has been completely bulletproof... Not a single issue, over 100k miles.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Up here in Aberdeenshire you know it's winter because the ditches start to fill up with BMWs and Mercs.
A RWD with the correct tyres may be fun in the hands of the skilled, but with normal tyres and the average motorist, completely useless.
Vive la traction avant mes amis!
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
edscoot
Regular User
Regular User

Post by edscoot »

Last winter we had a long very cold spell, -10ish, and quite a bit of snow, though not deep it wouldn't thaw. I drive a 1998 BMW 5 series automatic with about 134,000 on it now. That car is SHIT in snow or ice o_O. Truly terrifying! It'll break traction without warning at slow speed, driving in a straight line, not touching the brakes or anything.

I keep looking on ebay for an old shape Fiat Panda 4x4. They're good in the snow and mud but most of them have long since rusted away. Failing that I might get an old series Landy and sell it in the spring. Then again it might not be a bad winter - so far it's better than the last two or three.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

I can recommend a TD4 Freelander, they're absolutely brilliant in the snow and can do 40mpg.
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

my winter transport

Post by Alibally »

I have a vw polo my wife drives with winter tyres on it at the moment so we will be using that If it get very bad. The winter tyres do make a difference. I was surprised how good even the budget ones are compared to normal summer tyres.
Woolley
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Woolley »

Alibally wrote:I have a vw polo my wife drives with winter tyres on it at the moment so we will be using that If it get very bad. The winter tyres do make a difference. I was surprised how good even the budget ones are compared to normal summer tyres.
My first car was a 1997 polo nearly 3 years ago and i found it pretty good in the snow. I felt like my astra was better in the snow, but its probably because i had had another years driving experience by then.
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

my winter transport

Post by Alibally »

I learned to drive in the winter so snow, Icy roads etc don't really bother me too much. It's a bit like riding a bike, look well ahead on the road and be smooth and sensible. You won't go far wrong..
edscoot
Regular User
Regular User

Post by edscoot »

Alibally wrote:I learned to drive in the winter so snow, Icy roads etc don't really bother me too much. It's a bit like riding a bike, look well ahead on the road and be smooth and sensible. You won't go far wrong..

I'll lend you my BMW. You might find it a bit surprising :lol:

I'm sure it's just the wider tyres it has compared to everything else I've driven in the snow (mostly rear wheel drive as well). We had a Volvo 265 GLE Estate Auto for a while, as long as you had studded winter tyres it was fine in snow. I do wonder about traction control though. You get no warning before the Beemer wags its tail.
gn2 wrote:I can recommend a TD4 Freelander, they're absolutely brilliant in the snow and can do 40mpg.
I had a look on ebay at these following your recommendation. The prices seem right for my budget - roughly the same as the beemer's worth, but there's not many of them on, and non local unfortunately.

I've always been a bit nervous of the Freelander - as a 4x4 it makes sense, but I worry about reliability. All those posh things like hill descent, air con, and all the other stuff make for expensive repairs. Am I worrying for no reason? If they're good reliable cars I might well get one after Christmas.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Depends what spec you get how much there is is to break
Parts are widely available and not too expensive unless you buy Landrover branded ones, even then they're mostly not too expensive.
The LandyZone forum has a wealth of info.
If you're reasonably handy with the spanners it's fab, if you're not, get a Toyota or a Honda.
Ours has had minor snags but has never broken down or failed to start.
Absolutely DO NOT buy a petrol one no matter how cheap it is, they have truly awful reliability and poor fuel economy.
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord

Post by maddiedog »

I second avoiding the petrol ones. All the ones here in the USA are on standard gas, and have reputations of being unreliable pieces of shit. You can't get the diesel models over here, so if someone even mentions a Land Rover to someone in the USA, they immediately think of the worthless Landys we have. It's the same way with small pickups -- You can't get a Toyota Hilux here. The smallest truck we have that is a diesel is a Ford F250, which is absolutely enormous.

I really wish we had more diesel cars and trucks over here, they are much better vehicles.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

my winter transport

Post by Alibally »

maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord

Post by maddiedog »

gn2 wrote:Ah the diesel HiLux, the car TopGear couldn't kill.
I love Top Gear, and that episode is one of my favorites. That episode was the first video that made me want a Hilux, and I've been trying to get my hands on one since... It's REALLY hard to get one here in the USA.

To get a Hilux in the states, you gotta buy one in South America, but North of Panama (there is an area of Panama that is still impassable by normal vehicles) -- Guatemala is easiest, then get it titled legally there, drive it across the border into Mexico, which driving it through both countries will probably involve bribes or at the very least applying for driving permits in advanced, then drive it into the USA. At the border, I would have to prove its mine, customs would examine it THOROUGHLY for drugs and such, then I'd have to pay a 25% import duty of it's approximated worth, or probably $2000-$5000. They also have to make sure it's street legal to US standards, which costs more. Finally, I'd have a title, tag it in my state, and bring it home. All in all, the driving would take around 5000 miles (roughly 8000km) round trip. The car would cost roughly $15k new, or $10k for a mildly used one, before all taxes and gas.

I've researched this a lot, I really want a Hilux. The damn Tacoma has a SUV frame and gas engine, which would more than suit my needs.... But, I really really want the indestructible ladder frame and diesel engine that the Hilux gets. :lol: :lol:
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

You could ship a Hilux from Europe or Canada.
It would be a p.i.t.a. but it is possible.
What about a Landcruiser, they're the business.