Anyone Have Any Experience With a Honda Fit (a.k.a. Jazz)???

When weather goes to crap, you still have to get there somehow...

Moderator: Modsquad

Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Re: Anyone Have Any Experience With a Honda Fit (a.k.a. Jazz

Post by Mel46 »

Gn2, i read the headlines on that article link you posted and I have to say that I am surprised. Here in the United States it is a 50/50 shot that the used Volvo you get will be trouble free.

We have had several Volvos and some were great, while others were bad from the day we bought them. There are multiple Volvo families in our Neighborhood so we purchased a used one last year.

Well, it has cost us a fortune to keep running, though the engine itself is truly dependable, as the engine on all of our other volvos have been. It is the rest of the car that is not dependable.

At the beginning of summer last year the a/c went out (compressor, which we can't afford to fix), and now that it is winter the heat just died.

Well, we paid for and pulled up a Carfax report on the car history. It looks like it has had problems as far back as from delivery day from the manufacturer, starting with the steering wheel replacement within days of the first buyer receiving the car. The compressor has gone out previously as well, and it was in the shop 4 times for electrical issues.

So we are at that point where we don't know if we should fix it once again ($2,000 to fix heat and air) or trade it in for another used one. On a fixed income it is hard to warrant a car payment in the budget. Meanwhile, the Volvo is being driven on sunny days only. Something else to think about.

As for the back surgeries, I have learned to live with the pain. I look at it as the price I paid for serving my country. It was worth it.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Post by PCX150Rider »

Thanks to everyone for their comments and views on the Honda Fit (or Jazz as it is also known abroad).

I decided to go ahead and get a new one. Picking it up later today.

Took it for a test drive at the dealership yesterday and was impressed. It does feel much bigger inside than it really is and the view all around is very good. It's quieter than I expected and the 6-speed manual shifts smoothly with a light clutch. I'll have to adjust and adapt to the newer gadgets etc. . .. Really excited.

Sadly my old Jeep was rusting worse than I originally thought. It's still OK to drive but between that and some other things that need to be done to it I didn't get much of a trade in value. When I added up what it would cost to fix the things that are needed to be done now or in the near future on top of my trade value it seemed like a fair deal considering what others are going for on dealer lots from the same vintage.

Here's a couple of sample pics of how far the rust is starting to take over on the undercarriage. It was time for a new car IMHO. If I was into welding and sandblasting and painting and all that stuff I could have kept it like a hobby but what I really needed right now was a relatively inexpensive daily driver that could double as a mini van. :geek:
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (108.66 KiB) Viewed 3385 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (97.58 KiB) Viewed 3385 times
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

Really happy with this. . .. Glad I decided for the 6MT. It's just plain fun to drive. ;)
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (123.66 KiB) Viewed 3385 times
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Post by GeorgeSK »

Well you will certainly be able to find it in the parking lot! Congrats - it should treat you well.
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax

Post by Jge64 »

I just bought this HR-V yesterday. It is the exact same car As the Fit, except for the different body, all the running gear, platform and powertrain is exactly the same. Yes it is fun to drive, congrats...little hondas are a great deal, IMO…
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (156 KiB) Viewed 3386 times
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

Well you will certainly be able to find it in the parking lot! Congrats - it should treat you well.
I have to say the car is FUN and PRACTICAL. A rare balance. Thanks! :D
I just bought this HR-V yesterday. It is the exact same car As the Fit, except for the different body, all the running gear, platform and powertrain is exactly the same. Yes it is fun to drive, congrats...little hondas are a great deal, IMO…
An HR-V nearly wound up being my final choice. Both vehicles do indeed share a lot of the same features and the "Magic Seat". I just leave my back seats down all the time and drive it like it's a two seater. The nice thing about the HR-V is the AWD. I see you went with a color other than Silver or Steel also. ;)
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

It is the exact same car As the Fit, except for
It looks like you got the Michelin tires stock? Wow. . .. Combined with the 1.8L engine it will give you more power for the AWD.

Mine came with Firestones (a.k.a. Bridgestone). Can't complain though. I've used a lot of Bridgestones over the years on my bikes.

I took it for a drive last night to see how the lights were. The Fog lamps are immediate. . .not much difference when combined with the Low beam. . .which is fine and what they are designed to do. The horizon on the Low beams is linear. It doesn't just kind of fade into obscurity. . .it can take a bit to get used to. The High beams light up the world. . .huge field of view. . .nice to have when the deer are running loose. o_O

With tunes cranked loud. . .go cart like handling. . .and more fun than should be allowed for under $20K it's hard not to grin driving this thing. :lol:
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jge64 »

2wd for me, awd not needed in fla.....a car mfr usually has 2 or 3 diff mfrs approved for just-in-time delivery to production. Its the luck of the draw what they are installing that day. That's The reason you cant order what tire you want on a new car....

Replacing both the fogs and headlights this weekend from stock halogens to LED'S....no add'l light , just a lot "whiter" light (6000k)
Glen
superandyp
Year: 2016
Color: Red

Post by superandyp »

Fit/jazz seams a nice car. Those engine go on and on. I fouls buy one
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

PCX150Rider and Glen, N I C E!!
you're both going to get me in trouble (and of course I'll put the blame on you :lol:

I've been tossing around the idea of selling my truck for a year (or so) now. I have two neighbors that want first dibs on it. What to do?

Love wheel shopping 2, 3 or fours.
I've always liked The Fit, it's a serious consideration, the HR-V I've yet to see up close, the Subaru Outback has always gotten my attention. Then there's the new Nissan Kicks (coming late spring) wanna see it, and the Mazda MX-5 Miata is sooo sexy and sooo low. But! Once I'm out on the hunt I will see how low I can go.
I have others in mind too. I want them all and ..... A few Muscle Cars too :D

Color Me...The 2018 Nissan Kicks (I'm on their update list)
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (87.74 KiB) Viewed 3701 times
Great pickin's you two! Good luck and enjoy the heck out of them. We only live once!
"They make (help) Us feel so Young!" ;) 8)
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jge64 »

Look at the Kia NERO too, very clean design.....
Glen
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

The blue Kick with the white roof made me think of a Mini. . .. :D

Niro . . . yes new. . . and the Soul. . .been around a long time and has outlasted the other box machines. That being said for some reason it doesn't come with a spare (unless I'm sadly mistaken). You get some kind of tire repair kit with it. But you'll probably find as I did that after countless hours of fun-filled online research of all the different marques and models that they each have their pros and cons and at the end of the day it comes down to gut instinct on what checks the most boxes. You've been there done that. . .it never ends right? :geek:

FWIW I didn't find the height of the elbow rest on the Fit center console storage a problem. I usually drive two hands on the wheel anyways. . .or one on the shift if traffic demands it. The hard plastic on the armrest of the door didn't bother me either. . .frankly don't use it. But in a lot of review videos it seemed an issue for some folks. The sound system in the Sport and EX is excellent. . .. You'll see a lot of the newest models don't include CD players anymore. Mostly USB and Power Ports. :o

Things are getting more and more technical so you may find that you'll have to spend a lot more time reading the owners manual/guide of your new car/SUV/truck/EV to figure out how everything works. It may even be a good idea to bring a notepad, or IPad with you to make notes while the salesman tells you how to operate stuff. The newer vehicles almost do all your thinking for you. . .but to get them to think you've got to think like them. Say wha????? o_O
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

Replacing both the fogs and headlights this weekend from stock halogens to LED'S....no add'l light , just a lot "whiter" light (6000k)
Whiter than white eh? Sounds like you'll see into the next state. :lol:

Do your door locks automatically lock when you get over 10MPH or something? Mine do. I'm not sure I like having the car do that automatically. If I want them locked I'll do it myself. I'm still trying to figure out the procedure to reset that system. So far all I know is it makes a difference if you have Smart Entry and a CVT. I'll figure it out. . .or figure out I can't do it with my model and have to leave the system the way it is. :roll:
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jge64 »

You can turn off that auto lock/unlock feature , just read it in the owners manual, page 113 in mine...very easy
Glen
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Glen, I will take a look online at Kia's Nero. Thanks for the mention. Any others?

PCX150Rider, you're right! Have owned my Ridgeline since '06, I still don't utilize all the gizmo's. Some I don't even need. Packages, you know. Anywho, who needs all that? Half the fun back in the day was manual stuff not electric. Strip it all and give me a Goat...purdy please
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

WhiteNoise wrote:Glen, I will take a look online at Kia's Nero. Thanks for the mention. Any others?

PCX150Rider, you're right! Have owned my Ridgeline since '06, I still don't utilize all the gizmo's. Some I don't even need. Packages, you know. Anywho, who needs all that? Half the fun back in the day was manual stuff not electric. Strip it all and give me a Goat...purdy please

If you are considering an MX5 then look at the Subaru BRZ too?
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

FWIW I now have a Draw-Tite trailer hitch wired with a 4-pole flat connector and mounting bracket installed on my new Fit. I've tried it out already towing a utility trailer and it worked great. Having the manual transmission definitely helps when going downhill. :geek:
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (76.8 KiB) Viewed 3390 times
big bear
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2016
Color: silver

Post by big bear »

i have a 2018 honda fit i like it i take it to work in pittsburgh its to dangerous to ride the scooter on my comute to work plus where i live you can only ride about 7 months a year cause of icy roads
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

After just about a year of ownership I have to say I'm really happy with my Honda Fit. It's just plain fun and practical. Need I say more? :geek:

Getting the Sport with the 6 speed manual and that direct injected 1.5L engine was a smart move. More than enough zip to entertain . . .. 8)

The sound system rocks and the bigger dash screen works well. Plus Honda brought back the knob for the radio volume. :D

Air conditioning is good too although I rarely use it.

The cargo volume comes in really handy and most of the time I just leave the rear seats down so it's more like driving a 2-seater sports car. :D

Pulling my utility trailer with it has been care free. . . the car just moves right along and doesn't seem to be influenced that much. That said I have not taken it up on an Interstate Highway with the trailer yet. If I ever do I'm confident it will do OK but suspect the wind and passing trailer trucks would have an influence on the flight path. ;)
100_4657a.jpg
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jge64 »

So here is my HRV after completing most of the mods on it. New oem optional wheels, painted brakes, ceramic treatment, LEDs – both headlights and fog, red accent Stripe.....interyior trim pieces.

I still love the way this suv looks. My only problem is it's down on power. If I had to do it all over again, I'd buy a Hyundai Kona at 180 hp (vs hrv's 140hp) for the same amount of money. That'll be my next car.
Glen