Owner of a New Big Harley?

The other 2-wheeled contraptions you ride.

Moderator: Modsquad

PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Owner of a New Big Harley?

Post by PCX150Rider »

Hey, Harley is recalling about 57K big bikes for an oil line clamp that may not have been installed properly. The bikes were made 2016-2017. . .for more details see this recall story. Don't ride it until you check with your dealer to get it rectified. Should only take about 1/2 an hour supposedly.

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2017/06/02/h ... on-recall/
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Re: Owner of a New Big Harley?

Post by homie »

They should take Erik Buell back on and let him show Harley how to make great motorbikes 8)
Was a beautiful day for a ride in the park.

lillypinkjenny
Regular User
Regular User

Post by lillypinkjenny »

We have a Buell XB12R sat in the garage under a cover here, Homie.

It's fun to ride, in the right conditions.

It doesn't get used much at all, essentially because it actually belongs to my husband's ex girlfriend who lives in Cali.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

lillypinkjenny wrote:
It doesn't get used much at all, essentially because it actually belongs to my husband's ex girlfriend who lives in Cali.

Awkward :lol:
lillypinkjenny
Regular User
Regular User

Post by lillypinkjenny »

you you wrote:
lillypinkjenny wrote:

Awkward :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: It sounds more awkward than it is. She and I get on very well.

... but I'm still very very aware that it's her bike when I ride it! :lol:
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

and I'm sure she's very, very aware it's your ride NOW... not hers?
I hope, i hope ;)

Another GORGEOUS day to go for a scoot in the Chicagoland area. I think a scoot is in order :D I have this favorite parking lot that I like to do tight figue eights. Keeps the brain sharp and gives confidence to the transfer of body weight in the transition. Do any of you frequent a place to practice and maintain a confident level of evasive maneuvers. We need to be in a constant state of situation awareness and have the ability to EVADE in a miliseconds notice. Would you like to go for a ride with me to my special place?
Coastal Mountainer
Year: 2013
Color: black

Post by Coastal Mountainer »

homie wrote:and I'm sure she's very, very aware it's your ride NOW... not hers?
I hope, i hope ;)

Another GORGEOUS day to go for a scoot in the Chicagoland area. I think a scoot is in order :D I have this favorite parking lot that I like to do tight figue eights. Keeps the brain sharp and gives confidence to the transfer of body weight in the transition. Do any of you frequent a place to practice and maintain a confident level of evasive maneuvers. We need to be in a constant state of situation awareness and have the ability to EVADE in a miliseconds notice. Would you like to go for a ride with me to my special place?
Yes, I've got a street in my neighborhood about a 1/8 mile long with a cul-de-sac turn around at the end. Theres only one house near the end. I practice u-turns inside the 20' wide blacktop. Left is easy, right is a white knuckle for me but I'm getting it. Also do evasive maneuvers.

I'd love to ride with you but ChicagoLand is a long way from North Carolina.
2014 CTX 700dct Red (glad I got it)

2013 PCX 150 Black (wish I could have kept it)
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Coastal Mountainer wrote:Yes, I've got a street in my neighborhood about a 1/8 mile long with a cul-de-sac turn around at the end. Theres only one house near the end. I practice u-turns inside the 20' wide blacktop. Left is easy, right is a white knuckle for me but I'm getting it. Also do evasive maneuvers.
Hey... it's ED!

I think a few minutes a couple times a week doing figue eights is all a person needs. That usually spins me up for traffic, good for the brain, balance and tires. It's a little harder than one would think so take it easy. Also the C-stand is going to drag if you get too comfortable and that always wakes me up o_O

PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

Hey... it's ED!

I think a few minutes a couple times a week doing figue eights is all a person needs. That usually spins me up for traffic, good for the brain, balance and tires. It's a little harder than one would think so take it easy. Also the C-stand is going to drag if you get too comfortable and that always wakes me up o_O
At intersections when there are no cars to compete with for who is going to cross next (no traffic lights) I try to stop, signal, and keep my feet on the pegs (floorboards) balancing carefully as I can and then do one more check on the rear view mirrors to make sure some bicycle isn't going to pass on through without stopping and broadside me before I commit to resume my ride. I went to some Trials competitions when I was younger and was always amazed how those riders could stand still without touching the ground. . .or at least as much as they could so as not to lose points. Riding every day does keep one on their game with motor sensory and balance.

Homie - the sound of your PCX motor in the video is about what mine sounds like. A little valve noise. I wasn't exactly sure what is considered normal. I think I own the only PCX in my town so no others to compare it to. It's an SUV rich environment. As long as I hear a little valve noise I know they are closing. Aside from oil and other items it still makes me wonder why Honda has a double standard in their owners manuals for the valve adjustment intervals on 2017 models. . .600 and then every 2500 miles U.S :roll:. . . .or every 4000 miles U.K.. 8)
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Are you Sure it's a Figure Eight? I thought so too, but not really. The MSF course calls it "The Box."
Now Think "S" (Super-Rider) ;)

From a Full Stop Enter where he stands. Follow S around and Exit (opposite corner).

See it
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (24.16 KiB) Viewed 2406 times
Watch it :P

Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

PCX150Rider wrote:Aside from oil and other items it still makes me wonder why Honda has a double standard in their owners manuals for the valve adjustment intervals on 2017 models. . .600 and then every 2500 miles U.S :roll:. . . .or every 4000 miles U.K.. 8)
In my opinion it's a scam... sorry. But do what you must to maintain your warranty if you have a new bike or if you extended that warranty. What I saw on my new 2015 was a waste of time as far as Valve Clearance Adjustment per the service manual.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... oyVAcpcIwl
I have 5500 miles currently but do not entend to tear down again for this check until I hit 10k.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

PCX150Rider wrote:
Hey... it's ED!

At intersections when there are no cars to compete with for who is going to cross next (no traffic lights) I try to stop, signal, and keep my feet on the pegs (floorboards) balancing carefully as I can and then do one more check on the rear view mirrors to make sure some bicycle isn't going to pass on through without stopping and broadside me before I commit to resume my ride. I went to some Trials competitions when I was younger and was always amazed how those riders could stand still without touching the ground. . .or at least as much as they could so as not to lose points. Riding every day does keep one on their game with motor sensory and balance.

Homie - the sound of your PCX motor in the video is about what mine sounds like. A little valve noise. I wasn't exactly sure what is considered normal. I think I own the only PCX in my town so no others to compare it to. It's an SUV rich environment. As long as I hear a little valve noise I know they are closing. Aside from oil and other items it still makes me wonder why Honda has a double standard in their owners manuals for the valve adjustment intervals on 2017 models. . .600 and then every 2500 miles U.S :roll:. . . .or every 4000 miles U.K.. 8)

Our miles are metric miles.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Eights on Buell... No C-stands to slow you down YEAH!
Has anyone taken the center stand off to see what kind of maneuverability the PCX has without it?

homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

So much tire wasted on PCX... lets pull the stand and see what's left to drag :D Lay the little Honda DOWN! :lol:
Attachments
unnamed.jpg
unnamed.jpg (51.71 KiB) Viewed 2394 times
unnamed (1).jpg
unnamed (1).jpg (45.55 KiB) Viewed 2394 times
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

It doesn't make much difference though.

1 mile = 1.072896 metric miles

4000 miles = 4291.584 metric miles

In the big picture they are very close in distance. :geek:
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

PCX150Rider wrote:
It doesn't make much difference though.

1 mile = 1.072896 metric miles

4000 miles = 4291.584 metric miles

In the big picture they are very close in distance. :geek:
Oh ffs... :roll:
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

Oh ffs... :roll:
Yup. That being said I'm changing out the engine oil at 600 miles and will change out the final drive oil then as well. I've still got to order the 10w-30 Honda with Moly stuff online. I was able to get plenty of the 10w-40 at my dealer though so the engine oil is on hand. Rather than throw that in the final drive I'd rather stick with the 10w-30 especially for colder weather riding.

My next engine oil change after that will be at 4000 miles (unless it starts looking like Marmite). o_O

Keeping an ear to the valves. Going to skip the 600 mile valve inspection and keep going as recommended in the U.K. manual to 4000 miles. If I hear the valve noise changing or getting quieter (or notice a change in performance or starting) I'll pull the panels and do a valve check sooner. I feel somewhere between a rock and a hard place. Putting my faith on the U.K. manual recommendations and regarding the U.S. manual as a kinder, gentler way to think about maintenance. . .not that there's anything wrong with that but I've got a lot on my plate already and for now I'll pretend I'm living on the Dingle Pennisula. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYa8nOB2_3s :lol:
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

Eights on Buell... No C-stands to slow you down YEAH!
Has anyone taken the center stand off to see what kind of maneuverability the PCX has without it?
About the C-Stand - haven't bottomed it out yet. . .but am mindful about certain road conditions so as not to. If I hop the rear wheel it won't be the first time on a bike but nothing I'd put on my "to do" list. :|

About the Buell - Finally got to hear what that thing sounds like. Don't ever sell it. . .if you can afford not to. . .. ;)

There's something about the mechanicals in the Harleys and older vintage machines that demand attention. It's like the essence of motorcycle riding simply put. It doesn't have to be the newest or fastest or most expensive. . .it is what it is. The Buells and HRDs and Vincents and Indians and Excelsiors and the list goes on are like a representation of the dawn of creation in their respective niches. I may still get a Harley but not yet. Don't want the heavy tractor. . .the more agile and lighter Sportster is my cup of tea. Thought about the "Roadster" but may settle for a simple "Superlow". Want to keep it close to the original XL Model which was meant to compete with the growing popularity of Triumph 650 Bonnevilles and BSA Lightnings. . .did I forget Norton? Bigger is not always better and I think that is something that the Marketing people don't want to let out of the bag. :lol:

Speaking of Vintage and that good 'ol antique technology that everyone admires, let's go back to WWI and . . . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnYxK83C6A4. :o

I see a similarity between the Buell and the Sopwith. . .with all due respect. . .it draws a crowd. 8)
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

PCX150Rider wrote:Speaking of Vintage and that good 'ol antique technology that everyone admires, let's go back to WWI and . . . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnYxK83C6A4. :o
I see a similarity between the Buell and the Sopwith. . .with all due respect. . .it draws a crowd. 8)
I was completely sucked into the Sopwith's documentary and never left my chair all night. Thanks for the great story! What a tale, now for some weird reason I want to watch Secondhand Lions

PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

Watched about a third into it. . .going to see the rest tonight. Those old school guys and gals had guts experimenting with the unknown! 8)