Talk me out of a Silver Wing

The other 2-wheeled contraptions you ride.

Moderator: Modsquad

gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: Talk me out of a Silver Wing

Post by gn2 »

Mister Paul wrote:Another poster on here will go on about the rear caliper dragging, but mine was ok.
Lucky you.
I was not alone, there have been a few others with this problem and there have been discs and pads replaced under warranty.

Pump recalls... there was the initial one then there was a second one to replace the replacement.
There was also the brake coupling connector recall.
This isn't me moaning, these are verifiable facts.

Another fact is that most owners have no problems and that later ones are tickety-boo and may not need new fuel pumps, brake switches, water-pump seals, or clutch bearings.

If you get a good one and treat it right the Forza 300 is a pretty decent little scooter and despite the problems I experienced I would definitely consider buying another as a winter runabout.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Smaug wrote:You guys did a rotten job of talking me out of it. :?
I reckon in a fairly short space of time you'll come to realise we've done you a big favour ;)
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Smaug
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150
Color: Red

Post by Smaug »

TheMaverick wrote:
Smaug wrote:I just traded in my PCX on this Silver Wing.

You guys did a rotten job of talking me out of it. :?
Congrats on the new purchase - looks great. I wonder if 4 times the engine capacity will mean 1/2 the economy?
I'm expecting that, but some Silver Wing riders are claiming 60 mpg on these later models, due to having an O2 sensor in the exhaust, so it can run leaner. Well see.
-Jeremy
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Post by PCX150Rider »

Have fun on your Silver Wing. They had a used one with low mileage at a dealership (40 minute ride there) near me last Winter and Spring before I bought the PCX. I had considered that or a leftover 2016 Forza which they also had in stock. I was aware of the Forza recalls. As time marched on I decided to go with the PCX (at a closer dealership) because I still hung onto my old classic bikes and could fall back on those for more diverse riding adventures. The Silver Wing should serve you well and is a good choice for a dynamic scooter. They've been around a long time. . .not in huge numbers but nonetheless good scoots. 8)
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

"Another One Bites The Dust!"
Cheers to your New Bike Relationship! Enjoy Touring. Safely (of) on Course ;)
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

WhiteNoise wrote:"Another One Bites The Dust!"
Cheers to your New Bike Relationship! Enjoy Touring. Safely (of) on Course ;)

And stick around to let us know how it goes.
Smaug
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Smaug »

Thanks for the well-wishes, all.

This is nowhere near as easy to get on or off the centerstand as the PCX. It doesn't feel as care-free.

The Silver Wing rear suspension is very nice though. Even with the smaller wheel, (13") it is somehow a lot smoother than the 14" rear wheel of the PCX. I'm thinking a longer swing arm and better shocks make the difference.

I rode up to Milwaukee on the interstate on the PCX to get it yesterday. That was about the longest 60 miles of my life. I'm not sure I would have made it on my Smokies trip with the PCX with stock shocks. The ride home was a piece of cake.

This may sound strange, but I feel like the PCX was enabling me to become lazy for the around-town errands. The best physical shape I've been in for years is when I did most of my grocery shopping on my bicycle. I got the PCX and that immediately stopped. (not the bike's fault, of course) With the Silver Wing being not quite as handy as the PCX, maybe I'll go back to using my bike more often?

US guys: PM me if you want to help me out and buy a PCX air filter and a liter of oil.
-Jeremy
Smaug
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Smaug »

Oh, also, in case I forget to come back here, if you join the Scooter Riders of America group on Facebook, I'm there, (my name is Jeremy Zorns) and also on the Battle Scooters sub-forum of advrider.com. (Smaug1, I think)
-Jeremy
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Post by PCX150Rider »

This may sound strange, but I feel like the PCX was enabling me to become lazy for the around-town errands. The best physical shape I've been in for years is when I did most of my grocery shopping on my bicycle. I got the PCX and that immediately stopped. (not the bike's fault, of course) With the Silver Wing being not quite as handy as the PCX, maybe I'll go back to using my bike more often?
Now that you mention it my bicycle hasn't been getting much use since I got my Roughhouse and PCX either. The PCX can quickly become an addiction. :lol:
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Smaug wrote: PCX air filter and a liter of oil.
The oil will go in the Silverwing, it uses the same stuff.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:
Smaug wrote: PCX air filter and a liter of oil.
The oil will go in the Silverwing, it uses the same stuff.
Take some out first though :lol:
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

I donated my molly Honda Forza oil back to the dealer, after selling the Forza....daren't use it even in my Honda mower!
The cut me a deal on bottles of AGIP oil for my Piaggio.
Said they couldn't resell my oil...but if a destitute Forza owner came in needing oil -- they'd give him mine.
S u r e.......that could happen.
Out in the parking lot I got to laughing so hard couldn't find the starter button on my Piaggio!
Fish
Mister Paul
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014

Post by Mister Paul »

gn2 wrote:
Mister Paul wrote:Another poster on here will go on about the rear caliper dragging, but mine was ok.
Lucky you.
I was not alone, there have been a few others with this problem and there have been discs and pads replaced under warranty.

Pump recalls... there was the initial one then there was a second one to replace the replacement.
There was also the brake coupling connector recall.
This isn't me moaning, these are verifiable facts.

Another fact is that most owners have no problems and that later ones are tickety-boo and may not need new fuel pumps, brake switches, water-pump seals, or clutch bearings.

If you get a good one and treat it right the Forza 300 is a pretty decent little scooter and despite the problems I experienced I would definitely consider buying another as a winter runabout.
Three recalls on two parts, on a new machine, isn't loads.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

True that three recalls isn't loads, if you look back in the thread carefully you'll find I didn't say it was.

What I did have loads of were visits to the supplying dealer for warranty repairs and the recalls.
In the time I had my Forza it had more than double the trips to the dealer for warranty repairs and recalls than every other bike I've ever owned combined.
This is a simple and inescapable fact.

And yet despite all that I would buy another one and would also recommend a 2015 onwards Forza 300 to anyone looking for a nice wee commuter.