Kymco downtown 300i

The other 2-wheeled contraptions you ride.

Moderator: Modsquad

lolofigo
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2012
Color: Silver

Kymco downtown 300i

Post by lolofigo »

Just had a little test ride on kymco downtown 300i today. Was for sale at my local used bike shop for £2700. 2015 with 10000 miles. Not ready yet to part with my pcx but test ride didn't cost anything so why not? I have a bit of dual carriageway with 70 mph speed limit on my commute and although my yuminashi 164 kit lets my keep up with traffic with 80 mph flat out it just isn't designed for such speed. Anything over 60 mph is just dreadful on pcx. I've had the idea about swapping pcx for something bigger/heavier just to be comfortable at higher speeds. Good points about kymco:
-high screen as standard unlike forza 300
-steel braided brake hoses and abs
-comfortable at speed ( it was just cruising at 70 mph and wasn't blown all over the place like pcx)
-good firm suspension and big seat
-great visibility in mirrors (unlike forza 125 I have tested some time ago)
Bad points:
-feels big and clumsy (might be just me swapping from agile pcx)
-general built quality is good but it just doesn't feel like Honda or japanese. Just little things like red starter button blemished from sun and became pink, indicator making sound louder than the engine
-speedo difficult to read with large km/h scale and tiny mph numbers inside
-didn't feel as fast as my yuminashi 164 pcx.
Bit of mixed feelings. Haven't tried forza 300 so can't really compare it to something in the same size and class. I have tried forza 125 and it was more modern but again performance nowhere near my yuminashi 164 pcx. Have seen some of those kymco downtown 300i for sale on Gumtree from £1800 with similar age and mileage by private sellers so who knows. Not sure what to do with my pcx as I have spent some money on modifications and it might be difficult to sale now and get some of the money back. Might just get it back to stock and try to sell upgrade parts separate.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Re: Kymco downtown 300i

Post by PCX150Rider »

The Honda CB300F or CBR300R are an alternative as well. Just put some sport packs on them and you'll still be able to carry stuff.

The price range is always what we can afford but doing over 60 MPH on a PCX is pushing into the glue of the edge of the envelope in practicality IMHO.

Honda fixed the crank bearing problem they had with the 2015 and 2016 model CB300F and CBR300R. Leftovers are still available that have had the recall maintenance performed for a reduced price. Before I bought my PCX I sat on both at the dealer and they fit me OK. . .considering I'm about 250 lbs. (or 18 stone). I already have a motorcycle so I can do the higher highway speeds when I need to. If I ever downsize from my sport touring bike I would seriously consider a CBR300R for it's lighter weight and ability to still get me on the highways and keep with the flow of traffic. :geek:

alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider
Year: 2016
Color: Fast White

Post by alx123 »

The sym and Kymco offer great alternatives to the Forza. I also felt the need to upgrade from a PCX, it could be either a bigger scooter for me or a naked 250-300cc. It's also tempting to try a twin engine.

The ideal choice would be the Xmax 300, but the price is not so friendly.

go for Sym or Kymco..
Everything looks better from the inside of a motorcycle helmet...
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

In the UK at the moment you can get a brand new Z300 with ABS for £3900 otr with 0% finance.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

gn2 wrote:In the UK at the moment you can get a brand new Z300 with ABS for £3900 otr with 0% finance.
Does this thing really have 14" of rear shock travel???...or why is the pillion rider seat above the bars? A circus act?
(can't build them with passenger on the same bench level with rider?)
Dumb.
Fish
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Have a look at the seats on any maxi-scooter, the pillion seat is always higher than the rider's.
The difference in height between the rider and pillion on your last two maxi-scooters is probably more than on the Z300.
Still dumb...?
Or just struck dumb... :lol:

But yes, the styling isn't to everyone's taste, I quite like the charcoaly coloured one. :)

Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
lolofigo
Regular User
Regular User

Post by lolofigo »

gn2 wrote:In the UK at the moment you can get a brand new Z300 with ABS for £3900 otr with 0% finance.
I really like the convince of a scooter. Underseat storage and twist and go are hard to beat. I think if you want a sport bike better buy a proper one not just something that looks like it. Not sure how that kymco compares to forza 300 but if feels like wardrobe on two wheels compared to pcx. Very comfy though.

gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

UK market Kymco Downtown compared to a Forza 300...
Kymco 30hp Forza 25hp
Kymco 4000 mile service interval, Honda 8000
Kymco screw and locknut valve clearance adjusters, Honda shims
Kymco ABS optional, Honda standard
Kymco lighter by around 20kg
And apart from the speedo which you've sussed already, that's about it.
New Yamaha Xmax 300 also worth a look.
dick the den
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: white

Post by dick the den »

gn2 wrote:Have a look at the seats on any maxi-scooter, the pillion seat is always higher than the rider's.
The difference in height between the rider and pillion on your last two maxi-scooters is probably more than on the Z300.
Still dumb...?
Or just struck dumb... :lol:

But yes, the styling isn't to everyone's taste, I quite like the charcoaly coloured one. :)

So do I,that or the Yamaha mt03.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

I had an R3 on loan for a while, that 321 engine is a delight.
The mild steel headers on the Yamahas are a bit low spec compared to the stainless ones on the Kwak.
dick the den
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013

Post by dick the den »

That Kawasaki reminds me of the old gpz305..
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

dick the den wrote:That Kawasaki reminds me of the old gpz305..

I know what you mean.
stevecbr
Year: 2011

Post by stevecbr »

Sold my PCX the other month and now got a 2010 Xmax 250, Very happy with it so far, fast, comfy and doing about 75 mpg. Loads of storage under the seat, and much better with a pillion
Regular User
Regular User
Color: 15 Forza

Post by 87112 »

I agree about the R3, its a ripping motor for 321cc. I never once worried about being too slow on the freeway on it. I sold it due to the Goodda@@ traffic in Seattle where I was. I want it back one day! But for now the ease of twist and go is very hard to beat.
:geek:
lolofigo
Regular User
Regular User

Post by lolofigo »

stevecbr wrote:Sold my PCX the other month and now got a 2010 Xmax 250, Very happy with it so far, fast, comfy and doing about 75 mpg. Loads of storage under the seat, and much better with a pillion
I was thinking about the xmax 250 too. How does it compare to pcx handling wise?