do Chinese scooters suck?

The other 2-wheeled contraptions you ride.

Moderator: Modsquad

eggman
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: black

do Chinese scooters suck?

Post by eggman »

do Chinese scooters suck? are at least the engines relaible
montliz44
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013,2014
Color: red+redder

Re: do Chinese scooters suck?

Post by montliz44 »

As I understand it the scooters themselves are solid enough but if you buy one you may not be able to buy parts to fix it if it breaks. I've heard that they are often built in limited runs and, since they are usually sold online or in chain stores, there is no commitment to parts availability or service.

That said, the price is right and if you can do a little home wrenching you can ride one for a long time before you have to throw it away.

Also, don't forget the miracle of duct tape and epoxy :)

Johnny
One PCX, One Forza -- Twice the fun, half the money!
eggman
Regular User
Regular User

Post by eggman »

the one im looking at has a gy6 engine and ugly as sin but i dont care about looks if its dependable
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Chinese scooters have a bad reputation for inferior parts that break within a short time. The engine may be a gy6, but the internal parts may be made with little concern for long-term use. I have heard that those exported do not go through the same quality inspections that those used in country do.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
eggman
Regular User
Regular User

Post by eggman »

dang guess il scratch em off my list
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

but we love CHI-NA

MAGA
k2apache6.0
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: Red

Post by k2apache6.0 »

Before I bought my PCX I had rented Chinese scooters at the weekends. I would estimate there was an occurence of some kind approx 50% of the time. On one a scooter simply died for no reason in the middle of nowhere, there were kickstarters that fell off, stands that were unusable, useless dim headlamps, amongst others. It was mainly because of these issues regardless of maker/brand that I ended up buying the PCX. I wouldn't buy a Chinese junk scooter at any price.
My PCX mod build here..
http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7113
eggman
Regular User
Regular User

Post by eggman »

wow im so glad i asked found a 150 cc with gy6 engine for like 1200 to my door
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

They are cheap for a reason. I bought a cheap Chinese bike to use to get used to gears last year and it wasn't even 3 years old and it was terrible.
Mind due I had it for 3 months and got my money back when I sold it. It was a pretty unrefined thing.
k2apache6.0
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by k2apache6.0 »

Mel46 wrote:Chinese scooters have a bad reputation for inferior parts that break within a short time. The engine may be a gy6, but the internal parts may be made with little concern for long-term use. I have heard that those exported do not go through the same quality inspections that those used in country do.
Homie brings up a good point here.
Often the metals used are too soft for engine parts. One I had rented the battery died and I had to kick it, the kickstarter stripped the splines clean off the shaft and flopped around uselessly, could have been clamped tighter you say but the mechanic at the rental told me if they did that the threads would strip. On bodywork he told me also that the plastics are either soft or brittle and tabs broke or bent as often as releasing. I exclaimed that I'd had problems regularily with these scooters and he told me haplessly "Spare a thought for me, I can't keep up with the workload, it's all garbage" I'm leaving. LOL, despite being angry with my issues I had to feel sorry for him. Maybe they'll get better, the Japanese were junky at first, but has history as taught us not for long.
My PCX mod build here..
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

k2apache6.0 wrote:
Mel46 wrote:Chinese scooters have a bad reputation for inferior parts that break within a short time. The engine may be a gy6, but the internal parts may be made with little concern for long-term use. I have heard that those exported do not go through the same quality inspections that those used in country do.
Homie brings up a good point here.
Often the metals used are too soft for engine parts. One I had rented the battery died and I had to kick it, the kickstarter stripped the splines clean off the shaft and flopped around uselessly, could have been clamped tighter you say but the mechanic at the rental told me if they did that the threads would strip. On bodywork he told me also that the plastics are either soft or brittle and tabs broke or bent as often as releasing. I exclaimed that I'd had problems regularily with these scooters and he told me haplessly "Spare a thought for me, I can't keep up with the workload, it's all garbage" I'm leaving. LOL, despite being angry with my issues I had to feel sorry for him. Maybe they'll get better, the Japanese were junky at first, but has history as taught us not for long.
That be Mel's good points, I never have any ;) In a few days we shall have some of these Chinese parts to dissect, weigh and compare. Wouldn't it be funny if the parts I get are the same and Honda's been getting them from CHI-NA :lol:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/370610350060?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT
http://www.ebay.com/itm/172411708747?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT
k2apache6.0
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by k2apache6.0 »

:lol: Oops sorry Mel LOL,
Anyways, thanks Homie, looking forward to the comparisons. Could we have another video with the 'Whimsical' going on in the background? :)
My PCX mod build here..
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Gil »

Stay far far away from Chinese scooters unless it was made by a japanese company in china. There are plenty of foreign brands that are good, like Kymco, Piaggio, Vespa, Yamaha, Suzuki... Talk to some motorcycle/scooter mechanics, they should know what's good.

Gil
ImageImage
  • 2013 Honda PCX 150, NCY Variator kit, Dr Pulley 13g Roller weights
  • IRC and City Grip tires, LED driving lights, Coroplast top box, MFR exhaust, Daytona Windshield.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Suck what?

You are probably best of with some kind of pump.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Yes they suck, and they also squeeze, bang and blow.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:Yes they suck, and they also squeeze, bang and blow.
Otto would be proud. Is he Chinese?
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Chinese scooter quality?
When I visit Florida I chat with every scooter owner I come across. 90% of them are riding Chinese scooters, and I have yet to speak with an owner who had serious issues with the quality of their scooters. These serious scooter owners had something well above a 50cc scooter and rely on their scooter for daily transportation.

I've seen that there are a great many scooters which are not under manufacture by Kymco or SYM (which are Taiwanese based) or the big boys from Japan - and are actually pretty good scooters to own. Will they do 30,000 miles?- who knows? - only a tiny % of non SilverWing, Vespa or Burgman owners ride a scooter that long, anyway.

Do they have much resale value?
Does a used Burgman, Forza or Silverwing have much....?
Would I buy an $800 50cc "Chinese internet to your driveway" scooter??
Heck no....but there are plenty of other good Chinese scoots out there.
Fish
Robbie
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2011
Color: Grey

Post by Robbie »

Before I had the PCX, I ran a Longjia 125 Chinese scooter and used it every day for 2 years on the commute. I sold it for more than I paid but I did look after it on the maintenance side of things.

I replaced stator and rectifier (about £25), steering head bearings (£20) and rear hub nut (as it came loose). This was over 2 years of every day use. The build quality isn't as good as the Honda, but I found that if you look after it, it will be generally reliable.

Most of the scooters use the same parts under different bodywork, so spares really aren't a problem as long as you order from the Internet. These bikes really suit someone who is prepared to put a little effort into maintenance, as I did find that bike shops didn't really want to know. This may mean a little Internet research to see which parts from other models will fit. When I asked the local bike shop for steering bearings, it was a flat "no, can't get them mate", but 30 minutes on the web and I had sourced some which arrived in a couple of days.

In summary they can be ok if looked after, but the quality IS lower than Honda.
dick the den
Regular User
Regular User
Color: white

Post by dick the den »

I Bought my Honda vision 110i,scoot from a dealer in the uk.2 years old /4500 miles up/heated grips/matching top-box,nearly 2 years ago.Now I see some 4 years old going for more thin what I paided for it.
Just look round,would I have another one oh yes.
lillypinkjenny
Regular User
Regular User

Post by lillypinkjenny »

I have run several Chinese bikes and scooters over the past 6 years.

Here's my review of one of them.

http://www.reviewcentre.com/125s/Lexmot ... ew_1574048

More relevantly I did run a decidedly well-abused Chinese scooter with a 125 GY6 motor for a while a couple of years ago. Most of it was a Lexmoto Valencia but bits of bodywork came from other similar Chinese scooters.

Compared to most non-Chinese 125 scooters such as PCXs, SH125s etc it was slow. The cycle parts and particularly chrome was not really up to surviving British Winters in great condition, and it had the general feel of being, well, rather flimsy and on the verge of a complete meltdown.

But ... it carried on working despite that, it did indeed survive at least one Winter with me and running costs for the year (almost) I ran it were decidedly minimal. It never let me down, despite giving the impression that it would, at any moment.