Buying a Cat C? Is it worth the risk?

The other 2-wheeled contraptions you ride.

Moderator: Modsquad

RichyP
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: White

Buying a Cat C? Is it worth the risk?

Post by RichyP »

Hi Guys,

I am looking at a Honda CBR 500R as my next jump up in the bike world. I have found one that is classed as Category C Damage, the seller states that this is due to the fact that it was written off due to cosmetic damage. Apparently, the only damage was to the fairing at the front and right headlight module which has all been replaced and fixed.

I have the dealers word that everything else is fine, it has full service history and will have an MOT before its released.

So as I am a NOOB! with the only other bike I have ever bought being my PCX. I wanted the forums advise on this and what I should look out for etc and if anyone else on here has any experience in this area.

here is the link the bike in question
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/232282049969? ... Tags=bu=bu
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: Buying a Cat C? Is it worth the risk?

Post by gn2 »

Run a mile.
Its way overpriced for an ex write-off.
Remember that you may have to pay higher insurance because its a Cat C and you may struggle to trade it in future because who is going to give you a good price for a write-off...?
The Honda 500 is a popular bike, there's no shortage of them, you'll be able to find something much better for fairly similar money.
For example, this CB500X with full luggage is only three grand.

and remember, "dealer's word" very often means "blatant lie"
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
RichyP
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: White

Re: Buying a Cat C? Is it worth the risk?

Post by RichyP »

you know what your right!

Its too much of a risk!

I work in the car/bike finance world, so i have done all the necessary checks. But I know quite a few bike dealers that i deal with regularly that I will give a call and see if they can sort me out with something else.

Thanks bud :)