The Honda PCX / Honda Forza / SH Forums
http://hondapcx.org/

For those considering a SYM HD200
http://hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=7363
Page 1 of 1

Author:  87112 [ Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:35 am ]
Post subject:  For those considering a SYM HD200

I have now ridden a total of 225 miles on my new 15 Sym HD200, a Taiwan scooter 171cc.
It has its ups and downs that I have discovered very fast.
First the ups- The motor for the engine size has some serious get up and go, I am still into my break in period and after some 50 mile ride yesterday felt how much " motorcycle" feel it has in the motor. The low end and mid range is brilliant. You can get some speeding tickets very quickly. Top end is not as special around 65 is easily attained with 72 max. I am getting around 80-82 MPG. Its not a freeway ride, to me just hop on for 10-15 miles max. Too much fatigue on a 171cc motor for long freeway runs.
Handling is great once you get used to the weight distribution of the scooter with its flat board. The PCX has a lower center of gravity.


Bad- a lot of people have fueling problems with this bike, from gas leaks to bad starts. While its a hit or miss thing there is no denying its no Honda or Yamaha for riding without extra TLC. Many do claims tens of thousands of miles with no issues- seems like a manufacturing miss to me.

So its keep your fingers crossed with this bike, the performance is simply outstanding versus extra attention.

The PCX was much tamer in throttle response, I had the 125 mind you.

Author:  WhiteNoise [ Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:43 am ]
Post subject:  Re: For those considering a SYM HD200

Thanks for returning and reporting! Hope your scoot is Not one of the "leaker's." Boots crossed.
Would you do us a favor please and place a pic of your Sym HD200 here so weez can see it again? :D

Author:  87112 [ Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:19 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: For those considering a SYM HD200

The Hot rod!! Loving it.
Image

Author:  gn2 [ Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:15 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: For those considering a SYM HD200

Shame you don't get the HD2 version.

Author:  Mel46 [ Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:24 am ]
Post subject:  Re: For those considering a SYM HD200

You said that you can get a maximum of 72 mph out of it? I would be afraid to go that fast on a flat board scooter. I have a PCX 150 with a changed variation and weights, and it tops out at 75 mph, though the scooter seems to float a bit at that speed due to its light weight. Still, I feel more in control of it than I would on a flat board type scooter, though there are riders in my area with Vespas that have 300 cc's. I really don't think those types of scooters are meant for freeways though. Heck, the weight seems to be in the back. Does the front end seem to float?

Author:  87112 [ Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:13 am ]
Post subject:  Re: For those considering a SYM HD200

I prefer the handling of the PCX no question about it, the center of gravity on the PCX is about perfect for any situation. It really shines in the in city stuff. The flat floor took me a while to get used to. I almost lost it on the 1st ride from the shop taking a freeway ramp. But I like the room a flat floor offers for the feet. I don't think I will ever buy a humped scooter again. The weight is all the back of my HD, that is true, you just have to do different and more body english on the bike during spirited riding.

Author:  87112 [ Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:50 am ]
Post subject:  Re: For those considering a SYM HD200

Update - I have have 3400 miles. The motor is a absolute gem, for 171cc it just rockets on city streets. I has the vroom vroom sound stock, its a louder stock exhaust than the PCX. On freeways it is getting much better with more miles ridden. You can comfortably do 65mph GPS verified all day no strain on motor. The handling once I ditched the stock Duro tires for Pirelli Diablo tires is excellent. I feel no ill effect now with a flat floor scooter. I can actually tackle corners better than on my old Yamaha R3.

Now some negatives- the gas gauge is a joke, goes to empty with 1 gallon left. The scoot has a 2.1 tank capacity. Reliablity has been so so for me, my petcock leaked and it was in the shop 3 weeks waiting for a part and dealer servicing. SYM customer service is kind of slow to get parts to you.

However its all about that motor, I consider it overlooked gem in the scooter industry. It simply rips.

Author:  Gil [ Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:19 am ]
Post subject:  Re: For those considering a SYM HD200

Thanks for updating us. I always wondered how good the Sym about where?

Gil

Author:  gn2 [ Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:26 am ]
Post subject:  Re: For those considering a SYM HD200

I've heard other good reports about that engine from someone with a Joyride. (RV 200 EVO in the US)

Author:  you you [ Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:44 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: For those considering a SYM HD200

87112 wrote:
I prefer the handling of the PCX no question about it, the center of gravity on the PCX is about perfect for any situation. It really shines in the in city stuff. The flat floor took me a while to get used to. I almost lost it on the 1st ride from the shop taking a freeway ramp. But I like the room a flat floor offers for the feet. I don't think I will ever buy a humped scooter again. The weight is all the back of my HD, that is true, you just have to do different and more body english on the bike during spirited riding.



Any chance of a picture? The one you posted has been cursed by photobucket.

Author:  springer1 [ Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:26 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: For those considering a SYM HD200

I've read that SYM made some of Honda's smaller bikes or engines in the past (can't remember which) ..... is there any similarity between the engine that SYM uses in their "200" series scoots with the PCX engine ?

Author:  PCX150Rider [ Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:03 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: For those considering a SYM HD200

If you have a carb type scooter and get fuel leakage problems due to the floats not getting the shut off needle valve to seal properly and don't feel like getting into tearing apart the carb then get one of these lawnmower type fuel line shut off valves and problem solved. Not to worry about gas leaking through the cylinder into the crankcase and not to worry about gas leaking down the side of your CVT cover.

Works like a champ on my Genuine Roughhouse. I think the fuel line was actually 3/16 inch but I was able to get this 1/4 inch fitting on with some coaxing.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/max-power-1-4-fuel-shut-off-valve-339134/6180063-p?c3ch=PLA&c3nid=6180063-P&c3apidt=23534109759&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIv6axupqZ1gIVRSSGCh27BQFnEAQYAiABEgImZvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Just check to see what size fuel line you have first in case you need to change a fitting. :geek:

Author:  87112 [ Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:25 am ]
Post subject:  Re: For those considering a SYM HD200

you you wrote:
87112 wrote:
I prefer the handling of the PCX no question about it, the center of gravity on the PCX is about perfect for any situation. It really shines in the in city stuff. The flat floor took me a while to get used to. I almost lost it on the 1st ride from the shop taking a freeway ramp. But I like the room a flat floor offers for the feet. I don't think I will ever buy a humped scooter again. The weight is all the back of my HD, that is true, you just have to do different and more body english on the bike during spirited riding.



Any chance of a picture? The one you posted has been cursed by photobucket.


http://advrider.com/index.php?attachmen ... pg.915021/

Author:  you you [ Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:50 am ]
Post subject:  Re: For those considering a SYM HD200

87112 wrote:
you you wrote:
87112 wrote:
I prefer the handling of the PCX no question about it, the center of gravity on the PCX is about perfect for any situation. It really shines in the in city stuff. The flat floor took me a while to get used to. I almost lost it on the 1st ride from the shop taking a freeway ramp. But I like the room a flat floor offers for the feet. I don't think I will ever buy a humped scooter again. The weight is all the back of my HD, that is true, you just have to do different and more body english on the bike during spirited riding.



Any chance of a picture? The one you posted has been cursed by photobucket.


http://advrider.com/index.php?attachmen ... pg.915021/


I just get a login page...

Author:  87112 [ Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:03 am ]
Post subject:  Re: For those considering a SYM HD200

maybe this
https://ibb.co/eMfYPF

Author:  you you [ Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:02 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: For those considering a SYM HD200

87112 wrote:



Working.


That does look nice.

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/