For those considering a SYM HD200

The other 2-wheeled contraptions you ride.

Moderator: Modsquad

Regular User
Regular User
Color: 15 Forza

For those considering a SYM HD200

Post by 87112 »

I have now ridden a total of 225 miles on my new 15 Sym HD200, a Taiwan scooter 171cc.
It has its ups and downs that I have discovered very fast.
First the ups- The motor for the engine size has some serious get up and go, I am still into my break in period and after some 50 mile ride yesterday felt how much " motorcycle" feel it has in the motor. The low end and mid range is brilliant. You can get some speeding tickets very quickly. Top end is not as special around 65 is easily attained with 72 max. I am getting around 80-82 MPG. Its not a freeway ride, to me just hop on for 10-15 miles max. Too much fatigue on a 171cc motor for long freeway runs.
Handling is great once you get used to the weight distribution of the scooter with its flat board. The PCX has a lower center of gravity.

Bad- a lot of people have fueling problems with this bike, from gas leaks to bad starts. While its a hit or miss thing there is no denying its no Honda or Yamaha for riding without extra TLC. Many do claims tens of thousands of miles with no issues- seems like a manufacturing miss to me.

So its keep your fingers crossed with this bike, the performance is simply outstanding versus extra attention.

The PCX was much tamer in throttle response, I had the 125 mind you.
:geek:
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Re: For those considering a SYM HD200

Post by WhiteNoise »

Thanks for returning and reporting! Hope your scoot is Not one of the "leaker's." Boots crossed.
Would you do us a favor please and place a pic of your Sym HD200 here so weez can see it again? :D
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Regular User
Regular User

Post by 87112 »

The Hot rod!! Loving it.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Shame you don't get the HD2 version.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

You said that you can get a maximum of 72 mph out of it? I would be afraid to go that fast on a flat board scooter. I have a PCX 150 with a changed variation and weights, and it tops out at 75 mph, though the scooter seems to float a bit at that speed due to its light weight. Still, I feel more in control of it than I would on a flat board type scooter, though there are riders in my area with Vespas that have 300 cc's. I really don't think those types of scooters are meant for freeways though. Heck, the weight seems to be in the back. Does the front end seem to float?
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Regular User
Regular User

Post by 87112 »

I prefer the handling of the PCX no question about it, the center of gravity on the PCX is about perfect for any situation. It really shines in the in city stuff. The flat floor took me a while to get used to. I almost lost it on the 1st ride from the shop taking a freeway ramp. But I like the room a flat floor offers for the feet. I don't think I will ever buy a humped scooter again. The weight is all the back of my HD, that is true, you just have to do different and more body english on the bike during spirited riding.
Regular User
Regular User

Post by 87112 »

Update - I have have 3400 miles. The motor is a absolute gem, for 171cc it just rockets on city streets. I has the vroom vroom sound stock, its a louder stock exhaust than the PCX. On freeways it is getting much better with more miles ridden. You can comfortably do 65mph GPS verified all day no strain on motor. The handling once I ditched the stock Duro tires for Pirelli Diablo tires is excellent. I feel no ill effect now with a flat floor scooter. I can actually tackle corners better than on my old Yamaha R3.

Now some negatives- the gas gauge is a joke, goes to empty with 1 gallon left. The scoot has a 2.1 tank capacity. Reliablity has been so so for me, my petcock leaked and it was in the shop 3 weeks waiting for a part and dealer servicing. SYM customer service is kind of slow to get parts to you.

However its all about that motor, I consider it overlooked gem in the scooter industry. It simply rips.
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: black

Post by Gil »

Thanks for updating us. I always wondered how good the Sym about where?

Gil
ImageImage
  • 2013 Honda PCX 150, NCY Variator kit, Dr Pulley 13g Roller weights
  • IRC and City Grip tires, LED driving lights, Coroplast top box, MFR exhaust, Daytona Windshield.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

I've heard other good reports about that engine from someone with a Joyride. (RV 200 EVO in the US)
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

87112 wrote:I prefer the handling of the PCX no question about it, the center of gravity on the PCX is about perfect for any situation. It really shines in the in city stuff. The flat floor took me a while to get used to. I almost lost it on the 1st ride from the shop taking a freeway ramp. But I like the room a flat floor offers for the feet. I don't think I will ever buy a humped scooter again. The weight is all the back of my HD, that is true, you just have to do different and more body english on the bike during spirited riding.

Any chance of a picture? The one you posted has been cursed by photobucket.
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

I've read that SYM made some of Honda's smaller bikes or engines in the past (can't remember which) ..... is there any similarity between the engine that SYM uses in their "200" series scoots with the PCX engine ?
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Post by PCX150Rider »

If you have a carb type scooter and get fuel leakage problems due to the floats not getting the shut off needle valve to seal properly and don't feel like getting into tearing apart the carb then get one of these lawnmower type fuel line shut off valves and problem solved. Not to worry about gas leaking through the cylinder into the crankcase and not to worry about gas leaking down the side of your CVT cover.

Works like a champ on my Genuine Roughhouse. I think the fuel line was actually 3/16 inch but I was able to get this 1/4 inch fitting on with some coaxing.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/max ... lsrc=aw.ds

Just check to see what size fuel line you have first in case you need to change a fitting. :geek:
Regular User
Regular User

Post by 87112 »

you you wrote:
87112 wrote:I prefer the handling of the PCX no question about it, the center of gravity on the PCX is about perfect for any situation. It really shines in the in city stuff. The flat floor took me a while to get used to. I almost lost it on the 1st ride from the shop taking a freeway ramp. But I like the room a flat floor offers for the feet. I don't think I will ever buy a humped scooter again. The weight is all the back of my HD, that is true, you just have to do different and more body english on the bike during spirited riding.

http://advrider.com/index.php?attachmen ... pg.915021/
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

87112 wrote:
you you wrote:

http://advrider.com/index.php?attachmen ... pg.915021/
I just get a login page...
Regular User
Regular User

Post by 87112 »

you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

87112 wrote:maybe this
https://ibb.co/eMfYPF

Working.

That does look nice.
MingRidesBikes
Year: 2011
Color: Matte Black

Post by MingRidesBikes »

Well I sold my 2011 PCX, which was an awesome scoot. And also added an HD 200 Evo to my stable. Definitely a different scooter. Not enough seat time to give a full impression, but why not revive a thread with a pic?
53CBA229-AAFB-4F19-9FF9-44C12554CF04.jpeg
53CBA229-AAFB-4F19-9FF9-44C12554CF04.jpeg (639.97 KiB) Viewed 3440 times
2011 Honda PCX125
Build in progress