SWM = WTF?

The other 2-wheeled contraptions you ride.

Moderator: Modsquad

chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

SWM = WTF?

Post by chicaboo »

I think my American side is showing, but I've never heard of SWM?! :P
Anyhow, they're back from the dead and some Chinese blood runs through their veins now. o_O
Well, being an Italian marque I guess it already rusts and leaks oil, so how much worse can it get?
Did I forget to offend any nationality of culture then? :roll: I'm using Aussie pricing to keep it real. :lol:
Luckily their off road oriented bikes are based on Husqvarna technology. See, it's not all bad...

What's taken my fancy is their 445cc Gran Milano and Silver Vase. The Gran Turismo I'm not sure about...
https://www.swmmotorcycles.com.au/gran-milano/
https://www.swmmotorcycles.com.au/silver-vase/
https://www.swmmotorcycles.com.au/gran-turismo/
Links with beautifully inflated Aussie pricing and some metric/imperial bastardised specifications...

Now, I'm a little shocked they went with brown and green for the GM, but the grey on the SV is spot on.
I like the blue on the GT, I'm just not sure about that angular edgy tank with the otherwise classic styling?
I like the blend of modern meets retro on the GM, and I think it works much better than the other two.
The front 320mm Brembo brake setup on the GM seems to add $500aud to the price? Wow?
Out of these, I could probably go with a brown GM with a standard black riser instead of the clip-ons.
Or save $500 and with no more to spend on the Silver Vase. Except they don't seem to sell that in my state...

As always I'm just window shopping and joking around. But I do love retro styling like the SR and TU-X.
Without knowing build quality and parts availability, my only real gripe with these is the lack of power (and colours...).
30HP from a 445cc with EFI is a little too relaxed to me. 45-50HP would've been a treat!
Anyhow, it's not like the SR400 is a firecracker either, but at least these have electric start for sooks like me. :oops:

What do you guys think? Do you like this modern take on retro styling? Or was SWM doing this 40 years ago?
Gav.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: SWM = WTF?

Post by gn2 »

Its a badge engineering job.
UK price is too high.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

What are their road bikes copies of?
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

The Gran Milano is a restyled XBR
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

Ahhh, cheers. I didn't know about the Honda XBR. Not sure how they snuck that one past me, either... :oops:

After reading the limited reviews available, the GM has the foot pegs raised and moved back for an attack position while riding.
The problem being it's not suitable for tall riders (me), or those who don't like riding with frog's legs bent up and sticking out.
After comparing stock photos to the SV and GT, they appear to have the pegs further forward and down lower, which helps.

I still think they Silver Vase looks less awkward than the Gran Turismo. Mainly since the colouring blends in more and is less polarising.
It appears the extra $500aud price hike on the GM is for the adjustable suspension and inverted forks in addition to the Brembo brakes.
I don't know about UK pricing, but it's OK here if you compare it to a Yamaha SR400. Maybe easier to swallow if it was $500 cheaper.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

The made in China Gran Milano is £4999.... or you could have a made in Japan Suzuki SV650 for £4995...?

They won't be selling many Gran Milanos...

The SR400 is also £4995

If I was wanting a 400cc single job I would be looking at the Mash Trackstar or Roadstar.

http://www.mashmotorcycles.co.uk/model/trackstar/tt40

http://www.mashmotorcycles.co.uk/model/ ... land-green
http://www.mashmotorcycles.co.uk/model/ ... tar-copper
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

On the website they say "Produced in the former Husqvarna factory in Lombardia in the north of Italy".
I know Shineray own SWM, so maybe some of the components like the electrics come from China? o_O

UK pricing is not as keen as our's. SV and GT are $7490 ride away, and the SR400 is $8990 ride away.
Those MASH motorcycles look nice, but not available here. Not much in the way of retro here, actually...
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

The SV here is the full 75hp, so double the power of the SWM for the same money....
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

gn2 wrote:The SV here is the full 75hp, so double the power of the SWM for the same money....
We get boned on the Suzi SV650 here. Only 47.6HP (35kW) at $9990 ride away. Quite a bit more expensive, but a fair bump in power.
At least it qualifies for me to ride it on my restricted licence. But they still could've given it another 10HP and meet the power/weight limit...

Basically, anything nice down here is $10k. I think I saw the CB500F/X for $7500 ride away last week when I was at the local Honda dealer.
The brown CB500X actually didn't look that bad in real life, and is probably more mature looking than the white/red option.
Where KTM Dukes and CB500s might be nice bikes that are affordable, they just don't speak to me like a beautiful retro styled bike does.
Modern retro styling is few and far between down here. And when you find them, they are compromised and/or expensive and gutless. :|

Oh well, there is always the Yami XSR700 for about $12k... o_O
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Get yourself a nice used mag wheel Bonneville......
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

They never came to our shores AFAIK. The smallest capacity Triumphs here are the Speed Triple and Daytona at 675cc and many $.

After further looking at the SWM range, I'm beginning to like the Silver Vase scrambler the most (even if it is very gutless...).
It has the same suspension travel as the CB500X with more off road oriented tyres. They look maybe 60/40 pattern to me.
The SV's 23.5L tank and 191mm clearance means it'll go 500km+ for a weekend away camping or on a light adventure ride.
But for the sake of style, mod cons like wind deflection and power are sacrificed for Italian passion (paid for by the Chinese).
The only Chinese part on the bike I can find is the engine, and the lack of power reflects this. It's other perks compensate for it.

So yeah, it looks like a decent package, but I'd like to see it $500 cheaper since the 2016 CB500F/X are both $7990 ride away.
I think the 2016 CB500s have adjustable front suspension, and preload on the rear. Good to have some choices under $8k r/a.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

The 2009> mag wheel Bonneville very definitely did make it to Australia.
One of the best motorcycle review videos of all time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsKFsce5phw
Only reason I won't buy one is no ABS.
Which is a shame because I really like the 2009 black one with the mag wheels, looks exactly like what a real motorbike should.

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-motorcycles ... =price_asc

Remember that if you get the CB500X there's a shitload of aftermarket off roady bits to farkle it with.
And you really don't want to fall for the marketing hype that SWM is Italian.
Its not, its a Chinese bike and should be priced as such.
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

Oh, I searched for "Triumph mag wheel Bonneville" and found nothing in my state. But at 865cc, it's beyond my 660cc restricted licence. :(

Yeah, the CB500F/X is just a nice bike to me, though. I could save a couple thousand and ride a KTM Duke 390 and be just as happy, really.
When it comes to motorcycles, I prefer the classic retro naked styling. The CB400/A is perhaps the most appealing current Honda, to me.

I know about the Rally Raid kits and whatnot for the CB500X, but I'm not inclined to spend much more if any, on a bike costing $8k to start.
Trust me, "made in Italy" has never been a draw card for me. I grew up seeing Alfas and Fiats go to the grave early, and it's left an impression.
SWM do plaster the "made in Italy" label all over their website, and on their about page, but like I said, motor and probably electrics are Chinese.
They do at least use Brembo, KYB and Marzocchi parts, which have a good reputation any way you cut it. No idea about longevity or chrome quality.
If it's all they make it out to be, I can't imagine it's far off Moto Guzzi quality. Dad had a few of those, so I know what they look like after a few years...

Anyhow, I'm in no big rush, and I haven't sold my Jeep yet. So nothing will be happening for a few months yet, most likely.
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

Hmm, after looking at other retro offerings, it seems the SWM bikes aren't that gutless, after all...
The Royal Enfield Himalayan is a perplexing looking combination of old meets new, and very cheap.
http://royalenfield.com.au/models/himalayan/