Honda Vision nsc 110 oil drain hole thread damaged.

The other 2-wheeled contraptions you ride.

Moderator: Modsquad

seanyp83
Year: 2013
Color: blue honda visi

Honda Vision nsc 110 oil drain hole thread damaged.

Post by seanyp83 »

Hello.
Sorry I looked High and low for chat that dealt with this but could not find anything.

I did and oil change this week and upon replacing the drain bolt I noticed that it would not tighten. I took the bolt out and there was what appeared to be some of the thread from the drain hole on the bolt. :cry: :cry:
This has never happened before and I was very careful when reinserting the drain bolt (did it up by hand initially to ensure no cross threading).

I then put the bolt back, still not tightening up. I filled up with oil and ran the engine for 5 mins and no oil came out from the oil drain hole. I knew that it would not be long before I got some drips and sure enough, today after riding home there was a small leak from the oil drain hole (oil on the drain bolt).

Really need some help please, what can I do to fix this? I read of some thread repair kit on the net but not sure how reliable a fix this would be? Or am I looking at replacing the crankcase???

Please help.

Thank you.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: Honda Vision nsc 110 oil drain hole thread damaged.

Post by gn2 »

Get the nut out and drain the oil.
Next wrap the sump plug in PTFE tape then bolt it back in.
This should hold the oil in as a stop-gap.
Regarding repair to the damaged thread, if you're lucky the threads might clean up with a tap (thread cutting device)
If not, the solution is having the threaded bolt hole drilled and helicoiled.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
dick the den
Regular User
Regular User
Color: white

Post by dick the den »

That should do it,would like to know your views on the vision 110i,i have one,and its been brilliant does what it does.
seanyp83

Post by seanyp83 »

Thanks alot gn2. I'll try this. It's teflon tape right? I've seen some heli coil kits on eBay. Would this work and can anyone recommend a kit?

DTD I think the vision is a great scooter 100 mpg +, easy to ride slow and fast. Mine has a few problems. I got it 2nd hand and the guy before probably had a head on collision as it pulls to one side. I have replaced the forks but it rides the same leading me to believe that the steering stem is bent...that's my next fix.
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

As GN say's a kit like this in the correct size... You shouldn't need a new bolt.

https://www.amazon.com/Heli-Coil-Divisi ... l+assorted
Richard
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014
Color: Black

Post by Richard »

Don't mess about with thread tape, this bolt keeps your oil in the engine thus keeping your bike alive.
Take it to a bike shop and have the thread Heli -Coiled...problem solved for under ten quid.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Richard wrote:Don't mess about with thread tape, this bolt keeps your oil in the engine thus keeping your bike alive.
Take it to a bike shop and have the thread Heli -Coiled...problem solved for under ten quid.
The tape keeps the oil in so you can ride it there to get the proper helicoil job done... ;)

(I once rode with a PTFE taped sump-plug in a stripped hole for roughly two thousand miles and it didn't lose a drop)
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Richard
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014
Color: Black

Post by Richard »

gn2 wrote:
Richard wrote:Don't mess about with thread tape, this bolt keeps your oil in the engine thus keeping your bike alive.
The tape keeps the oil in so you can ride it there to get the proper helicoil job done... ;)

(I once rode with a PTFE taped sump-plug in a stripped hole for roughly two thousand miles and it didn't lose a drop)
Life's a gamble...win some loose some, I wouldn't take this chance and trust a bit of plumbers tape...but hey ho, what do I know.
seanyp83

Post by seanyp83 »

Thanks again for your suggestions.
I live in Hackney London. Could anyone recommend a good bike or scooter shop that could do this please?
dick the den
Regular User
Regular User
Color: white

Post by dick the den »

there,s one in east London motoden 0207-688-8888 Honda dealer .
seanyp83

Post by seanyp83 »

Thanks again. I'll contact them.
seanyp83

Post by seanyp83 »

Sorted.
Honda Morden wanted o cha he 120 for a time sert but found S coot shop in Highgate that fixed a heil coil for £45 and did an oil change.

Just need to sort my rubbing front brake now. Pad only lasting 2000 miles (sticking piston??)
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

seanyp83 wrote:Honda Morden wanted o cha he 120 for a time sert but found S coot shop in Highgate that fixed a heil coil for £45 and did an oil change.
10-4 breaker breaker good buddy roger that... out

gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

seanyp83 wrote:Just need to sort my rubbing front brake now. Pad only lasting 2000 miles (sticking piston??)
Either the piston or the pins the caliper slides on sticking or the pad mount pins corroded or the caliper mount bent or the disc warped or the wheel bearings worn.
Take it back to the place that did the helicoil, they'll have it sorted in no time, its not a difficult job. ;)
seanyp83

Post by seanyp83 »

Sorry was tired when I typed the above. Honda wanted £120 but a scooter shop in Highgate (OH scooters London) charged £40.

Thanks gn, I'll go back and ask them.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

When will dealers wake up and realise if they charged decent, honest prices they would get lots more work - instead they rip people off almost every turn and lose so much business.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

iceman wrote:When will dealers wake up and realise if they charged decent, honest prices they would get lots more work - instead they rip people off almost every turn and lose so much business.

Why do they need more work? Their workshops will be full.