Homie's Garage

The other 2-wheeled contraptions you ride.

Moderator: Modsquad

homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Homie's Garage

Post by homie »

Winter work... ride safe you snow birds 8)

kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Re: Homie's Garage

Post by kramnala58 »

Homie, I don't know what work you have done on your PCX, but anyone who can do what you are doing in the videos certainly deserves to be included in your "Whisper'ers" list. Go ahead, include yourself. ;)
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

kramnala58 wrote:Homie, I don't know what work you have done on your PCX, but anyone who can do what you are doing in the videos certainly deserves to be included in your "Whisper'ers" list. Go ahead, include yourself. ;)
Yeah... no. This is my first hardcore rebuild of a gasoline motor since small engine class in high school. It's 99 percent service manual and one percent homie, a monkey could do it if he could read. Plus the technology is that of a tractor engine from the 50's. Me thinks not so complicated compared to foreign made bikes. The Honda engine scares me :D
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

Harley's often get slagged off for one reason or another, and I've no idea what other makes are like, but seeing your video and how the engine drops down, wow - they certainly got that right! Nice garage Homie - bigger than some living rooms in London! (actually bigger than many houses in London!!!) :) Much appreciate all the hard work and sharing of tutorials - great as ever.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

American made... much simpler. Shonky as youyou once said :lol:
relic
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red white

Post by relic »

Make sure you have oil pressure before you test drive. Rebuilt my cb350 and cooked the engine because the oil pump had lost it's prime. Most engines have a small threaded port in the head for a gauge or sensor squirt some oil down there and make sure the pump pushes it back out
Really didn't want to learn that by trial and error
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

relic wrote:Make sure you have oil pressure before you test drive. Rebuilt my cb350 and cooked the engine because the oil pump had lost it's prime. Most engines have a small threaded port in the head for a gauge or sensor squirt some oil down there and make sure the pump pushes it back out
Really didn't want to learn that by trial and error
Good point, will run a full diagnostic before start up with ECMspy. Unless I've damaged a sensor somehow, and then even that should report. You peak my curiosity with this oil pressure comment so I might read ahead a little and see if this test is noted of left to the software to find.
relic
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by relic »

That cb350 was before sensors and software I'm just saying that removing the threaded plug can give you the info needed
Your dealing with a relic here!
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Here is the thing that keeps me awake at night, perhaps you can advise. Look at my allen wrench set. The ball is missing on one. I snapped it off and searched the area with a magnet but no luck. As fate would have it that tiny steel ball could be down the crank area in the oil. Entirely possible and I must locate it before reassembly. I've thought to drain the oil and use my inspection tool but this seems doubting. I've imagined the oil pump taking up such an object and perhaps sending it to the filter but I have not yet research the pump design or any possible screens that would forever keep it loose in the case. It must be found or I WILL HAVE FEAR!!!! WHERE IS IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Never use these new allen wrenches around motors... bad design flaw
Attachments
allen.jpg
allen.jpg (111.01 KiB) Viewed 4053 times
relic
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by relic »

if you are lucky the pump has a screen if not -Nightmare!
Should roll out if you drain the oil or find some kind if magnetic drain plug to capture the little devil
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus

Post by kramnala58 »

homie wrote:Here is the thing that keeps me awake at night, perhaps you can advise. Look at my allen wrench set. The ball is missing on one. I snapped it off and searched the area with a magnet but no luck. As fate would have it that tiny steel ball could be down the crank area in the oil. Entirely possible and I must locate it before reassembly. I've thought to drain the oil and use my inspection tool but this seems doubting. I've imagined the oil pump taking up such an object and perhaps sending it to the filter but I have not yet research the pump design or any possible screens that would forever keep it loose in the case. It must be found or I WILL HAVE FEAR!!!! WHERE IS IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Never use these new allen wrenches around motors... bad design flaw
I feel sick for you. I know the feeling. Sorry for you. Hopefully it works out okay.
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Look at You! Oilee winter project stripping the Buell. Brave. I tip me lid to ya! :P

Garage lookin' homie :) get a bed in there and yer set! Some calls it being in a dog house.
That ain't no dog house! That's Puppy Palace!
I see Precious under cover(s) and 'Ol Yella's (Shonky) caged up and feeling nakid. (Is that a cage?)

:o Did you find that allen wrench ball piece yet? What a nightmare! Devise something!!!! grab that thing, snag that thing, magnetize that thing, Chief says, Go Fish!
Not funny I know. Sorry. Get a stud finder and drag it around. Not that simples.

Let's move away from the missing ball... And onto offing the carbon.
Hmm, after viewing your vids (excellent as always), I wandered away with me popcorn to watch others. The Nasty Nasty Carbon ones! I came across this one, did you see it?

BTW, How's the Weather? Storm coming your way? Crank the heat on for Shonky!
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Ever use Seafoam? No?
Check here: https://seafoamsales.com
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

It's a really good idea pivoting the engine as the sportster engines used to be bloody heavy. Might not be now I suppose.

Keep on taking videos as it progresses as it's interesting.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

WhiteNoise wrote:(Is that a cage?)
Did you find that allen wrench ball piece yet?
BTW, How's the Weather? Storm coming your way? Crank the heat on for Shonky!
I have to put my Shepard in the cage when it storms :D He's high strung and turns into a wolf when it thunders, every dog has his glitch. Other than going nuts in a storm he's becoming a pretty good guard dog, and a excellent rodent killer :lol: You know how he loves a squirrel. Weather has turned today :roll:

I'm confident that stupid tiny broken tool end is not down the crank (magnets and inspection tool). Those allen wrenches are off my owners list. OH! maybe it's laying on top of a lifter o_O be right back.

After reading the SM on oiling system I understand now that gravity feed oil from the reservoir (swing arm on a Buell) moves oil from the swing arm to the pump into the cavity in suspect under the crank. Pressure from the under side of the piston moves oil on through the cooler and then sends it to the filter. From there it off to critical pinions, bearings, valve shafts and top-end stuff. So I think any tiny foreign object dropped into the crank area is on its way to the filter after a short flush through a cooling radiator and might lodge there or for sure in the filter... END! 8)
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Moving on now with de-glazing. Service manual talks about the importance of a good cross hatch pattern. Apparently the 60 degree (or as close as possible) scoring pattern is needed to initially capture oil evenly on the cylinder walls during run in promoting longer ring and wall life. After de-glazing washing the cylinders with hot soapy water and then oiling them up until installation day... I feel like I've learned something today about seating new pistons & rings.

homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

New Piston kits come with bearing, rings and retaining clips. Pretty simple stuff so far for those of you who ever thought to dig into your engine. If this was done right today compression should be factory fresh after break in period, if not... KABOOM! :lol:

kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus

Post by kramnala58 »

That seems to be a pretty good garage. BTW, are you still making windows? I might be in the market for some in a year or two.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

kramnala58 wrote:That seems to be a pretty good garage. BTW, are you still making windows? I might be in the market for some in a year or two.
I resize HunterDouglas product for retailers mistakes and window replacement customers that find 20-30k worth of Hunters shades on the floor that are too big. No body tells you that's coming so the smart guy does a search on the the net. Resize, cutdown or alteration + blinds or shades... I'm always at the top of every search engine 8) 20 years running, no competitors. No competitors because the products have evolved into some of the most complicated contraptions that if you don't have the God given gift to take things apart and put them back together right... you buy it o_O

thus I'm confident this engine will run :lol:
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

homie wrote:New Piston kits come with bearing, rings and retaining clips. Pretty simple stuff so far for those of you who ever thought to dig into your engine. If this was done right today compression should be factory fresh after break in period, if not... KABOOM! :lol:

Can I point out my boxer cup has a similar mileage but isn't considered run in yet?

Where's the fun in that though :D