Homie's Garage

The other 2-wheeled contraptions you ride.

Moderator: Modsquad

homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Re: Homie's Garage

Post by homie »

It's true youyou I went in for lifters as these are about due and realized if you are going in do it all. Might as well learn something since these parts are not too awful expensive. It's the labor that would have been over the top for all this extra work. I will check discarded parts for service tolerances and if they are still usable... save or sell them so nothing goes to waste :)

homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Held up for stainless header fasteners, waiting on these 4 nuts is too much time to second guess the work :lol: Should sound like it did off the factory line, if not I'll do it over... that's my warranty 8)

homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Primed the engine oil circulation by removing the spark plugs & fuel pump fuse then turning it over with short bursts of the starter. Using 10w40 conventional (petroleum base) non-synthetic oil for the initial heat cycling.

Ran my diagnostic program... no errors codes :) all systems checked out and passed! Took a deep breath and hit the ignition. FIRED UP and brother that sounded so good.

Run for a few seconds, kill switch and cool down. Start again run for 1 minute, cool down. 1.5 min then 2 min's, total run-cool cycles and now its time break in those new parts :)

20 miles of moderate acceleration & equal deceleration in 36 degree weather to get the rings seated in a full 360 degrees. Then I'll dump and replace with more conventional oil riding a little more aggressively. Don't know how many miles I can get on the break in before I freeze but hopefully enough until spring.
relic
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red white

Post by relic »

You must be feeling good=accomplishment.
Give yourself a pat on the shoulder.
Always good to hear when these projects are successful.
Running your throttle up and down as I understand is a good way of seating the rings.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

Great work Homie! I only have a front yard which has bad tarmac (rough, holds water, etc) so loath to do any stripping of my PCX, but even if I had a garage like yours I doubt I would be able to do what you do - scary stuff :)
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Ok I'm a believer in mototune's break-in theory 8) The next time I buy a new vehicle with zero miles I'm dumping whatever synthetic it shipped with and running it hard with cheap oil for 1500 miles. No more owners manual recommendations that serve only to poorly set your rings and allow pollutants to pass the piston into the crankcase for the rest of that vehicles engine life o_O There is a better way... who knew? Well this guy apparently.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

I will test the rear cylinder but the compression testing now and again at 1500 miles is proof enough for me. This engine is going to run stronger and harder than factory owners manuals would deliver on break-in. So why? why does the industry screw us on break-in? Is it just for convenience or something more cynical?
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

And I'm going to bark at the moon...
DailyRider
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2017
Color: Dark blue

Post by DailyRider »

[quote="homie"]
Ok I'm a believer in mototune's break-in theory 8) The next time I buy a new vehicle with zero miles I'm dumping whatever synthetic it shipped with and running it hard with cheap oil for 1500 miles. No more owners manual recommendations that serve only to poorly set your rings and allow pollutants to pass the piston into the crankcase for the rest of that vehicles engine life o_O There is a better way... who knew?

[/ quote]
Surely you've been warned about believing what you see/read on the Internet
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

DailyRider wrote:
homie wrote: Ok I'm a believer in mototune's break-in theory 8) The next time I buy a new vehicle with zero miles I'm dumping whatever synthetic it shipped with and running it hard with cheap oil for 1500 miles. No more owners manual recommendations that serve only to poorly set your rings and allow pollutants to pass the piston into the crankcase for the rest of that vehicles engine life o_O There is a better way... who knew?

[/ quote]
Surely you've been warned about believing what you see/read on the Internet
There can't be many car or bike forums the old mototune chestnut hasn't been passed around. That and the oil one. Oil Bob or some such.

Unprovable opinioscience but if it floats your boat....., just don't spread it as fact.
DailyRider
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2017
Color: Dark blue

Post by DailyRider »

Yeah,
it belatedly occurred to me that Homie was probably kidding.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

I guess to really follow up on the results of mototune's claims (if 12.5% increase in compression over factory wasn't enough for you) I'll have to pull these pistons at 10k and check for scorching under the rings and scuffed skirts from improper distribution of forces across the tops of my pistons. Now let me ask you people this, If they come out as clean and shiny as those shown with perfect skirts having ridden the cylinder walls evenly over time... would you be a believer then?

Hey all I'm saying is I took the guys logic and ran with it. A gutsy thing to do given all the opinions over break-in. It could have cost me time and money but instead I'm looking at 12.5 % increase in compression over SM specs. Time will tell us the truth, you know I will follow up :) It's not speculation if the results are factual. I ran my bike in HARD willing to take the chance, you have to give me something for that youyou. Read it again, find me some bad logic in it and lets talk about it.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

And look perfect timing... SNOWING!
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Post by GeorgeSK »

Homie, I have absolute faith the you WILL take the sucker apart around 10K. Your report will belong at snopes.com, either confirming the technique (which I certainly hope will be true for you), or debunking it. Either way, I DO applaud your willingness to perform the real experiment with your own machine and labor.
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

GeorgeSK wrote:Homie, I have absolute faith the you WILL take the sucker apart around 10K. Your report will belong at snopes.com, either confirming the technique (which I certainly hope will be true for you), or debunking it. Either way, I DO applaud your willingness to perform the real experiment with your own machine and labor.
Thank you George and a Merry Christmas to you and yours. Still thinking about how the need to rev up our little Honda's just to operate the CVT might give us more of a mototune break-in than we think. There is no lugging or terribly low rpm with a scooter and pretty good engine braking as well. I don't think scooters can be nursed like clutch bikes can on break-in even if we tried. What do you think?

I've learned a lot with this project, but never enough. I did not know pistons and rings had such a story to tell about how we break in a new engine. I do have to consider all the other parts that might suffer from a hard break-in as it might not be just about compression and blow by to the crankcase and bearings for the life of the engine... but that's a very compelling argument worthy of choice.