Just bought a V-Strom 650 for long distance rides

The other 2-wheeled contraptions you ride.

Moderator: Modsquad

former50cc
Regular User
Regular User

Just bought a V-Strom 650 for long distance rides

Post by former50cc »

I sure do love my PCX and will keep it for the local rides, but now I have a Suzuki DL650 V-Strom for my long highway trips. I really wanted the power and acceleration together with luggage capacity that my new "Wee-Strom" can provide. I am super excited with my new ride!
tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 PCX 150
Color: Red

Re: Just bought a V-Strom 650 for long distance rides

Post by tbln930 »

Congratulations! Still one of the best bikes on the planet. I put 10k miles on mine last year. Please post pictures.

Some farkles are essential. Are you on Stromtrooper.com?
2017 Kawasaki Versys X 300 ABS (Graphite) - 775 miles - Terry Adcox saddle, T-Rex skid, SW-Motech crash bars, Madstad windshield, Givi 30L top case, Ram X-Grip, thermometer, OEM center stand, OEM hand guards

2014 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 ABS Adventure (Candy Daring Red) - 8650 miles - too fast Givi Airflow WS, Givi V47 mount, Givi crash Bars, Givi skid plate, Ravetech GPS mount, USB power outlet, Easter Beaver Fuse box, Denali DR1 LEDs, MondoMoto LEDs, Tool Tube, Zumo 665 GPS, Cobra radar detector, Mobius HD camera

2013 Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS Adventure (Metallic Thunder Gray) - Sold

2013 Honda PCX 150 (Candy Rose Red) - Sold

SECoda/tbln930
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Whoa...yes, pics or it didn't happen! :D
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Nice machine, lovely motor.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:Nice machine, lovely motor.

Average machine. Nice motor
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

,at least its not a BMW.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
former50cc
Regular User
Regular User

Post by former50cc »

Sorry, no pictures yet. The dealer is having one delivered from another dealer. I bought a new ( zero miles ) 2015 DL650XTA, that is the 2015 Adventure version of the XT. Beak, spokes, and OEM Suzuki hard pannier boxes. What I wanted and got was the Suzuki Zero down, 0% interest financing. I could have gone with an available 2016 DL650 the dealer had in stock, but after I calculated the additional upgrades that I wanted which were some kind of luggage system and engine crash bars, the fully equipped 2015 XT Adventure might work out less expensive. So, I still have to wait maybe another day or two until the dealer receives the delivery.
This will be my distance motorcycle. I plan on riding it to my surf shack on the Washington State Pacific coast 160 miles away where I store my wet suits and surfboards. I'll surf some, then ride back home the next day.
On vacations, I have plans on some long Pacific Coast trips, camping along the way.

And yes, I am on stromtrooper.com at times. I am registered there, but I have not posted there yet.
dkazzed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: N/A

Post by dkazzed »

0 Down and 0% financing, excellent deal. Enjoy your new ride!
2015 Honda CB300F ABS
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

former50cc wrote:Sorry, no pictures yet. The dealer is having one delivered from another dealer. I bought a new ( zero miles ) 2015 DL650XTA, that is the 2015 Adventure version of the XT. Beak, spokes, and OEM Suzuki hard pannier boxes. What I wanted and got was the Suzuki Zero down, 0% interest financing. I could have gone with an available 2016 DL650 the dealer had in stock, but after I calculated the additional upgrades that I wanted which were some kind of luggage system and engine crash bars, the fully equipped 2015 XT Adventure might work out less expensive. So, I still have to wait maybe another day or two until the dealer receives the delivery.
This will be my distance motorcycle. I plan on riding it to my surf shack on the Washington State Pacific coast 160 miles away where I store my wet suits and surfboards. I'll surf some, then ride back home the next day.
On vacations, I have plans on some long Pacific Coast trips, camping along the way.

And yes, I am on stromtrooper.com at times. I am registered there, but I have not posted there yet.

Sounds perfect
former50cc
Regular User
Regular User

Post by former50cc »

OK, here is my first picture on Day 1 after riding it home from the dealer.
My V-Strom first Day 1000p.jpg
My V-Strom first Day 1000p.jpg (654.03 KiB) Viewed 1800 times
dkazzed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: N/A

Post by dkazzed »

Very nice!

I demoed a V-Strom 650 for the very first time over the weekend. Overlooking the fact that it's obvious that it's a heavy and top heavy bike in corners, it does everything well and felt very comfortable in it. I'm smitten and definitely leaning towards that ADV style bike. I'd like to try out the NC750X/700X to compare.
2015 Honda CB300F ABS
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Post by GeorgeSK »

Anyone seduced by the KTM Duke 390?
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
DAB
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by DAB »

GeorgeSK wrote:Anyone seduced by the KTM Duke 390?
No, I have a 690 :D
Other rides
Yamaha MT-01, Yamaha BT1100, Yamaha WR250R, Ducati 900 GTS, Honda VFR 750FV, Honda Forza 350
former50cc
Regular User
Regular User

Post by former50cc »

I am accustomed to a sensation of being top heavy until packed heavily in my pannier bags. This is a picture of me in 1978 in Alaska having ridden there on this bike from Minnesota with my wife. Yes, my wife rode with me to Alaska and took this picture. I always feel top heavy on any kind of bicycle until my pannier bags are loaded with gear, lowering my center of gravity. Notice any similarity? My V-Strom has great side cases that I can fill with my camping gear, just as I did in 1978 on my 10-speed racing bicycle outfitted for long distance touring.
As I may have mentioned, I have the V-Strom for long distance tours. I may be giving away my age, but do the math. I was 25 years old on my Minnesota to Alaska bicycle trip in 1978. I am still very physically fit. I surf regularly here on the Coast of Washington State. I am just hankering for a really big trip.
Trip coming.
Former50cc_1978_Alaska_riding_crop.jpg
Former50cc_1978_Alaska_riding_crop.jpg (374.1 KiB) Viewed 1756 times
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

If I was in the market for a plaything that had zero luggage carrying facilities, required constant maintenance and cleaning and had zero weather protection it would be near the top of my list.
But seeing as I need serious practical transport I'll stick with the scooter format.
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

I like the look of those or the CB500F at the cheaper end of the market.
But if I was looking to spend more I'd go with a Vulcan 650 or CB650F Tricolore.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

There It Is, Big and Bold!
Very very nice former50cc! 8) Good luck with it and of course, be safe.
Now, if this were mine (and it ain't :| ), I would drop those pannier's and show-off the lines of that ride with a mighty Grin on me face! Zippidy-do-dah....wahhhhh
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You