help with selling my bike

The other 2-wheeled contraptions you ride.

Moderator: Modsquad

hagfish
Year: 2014
Color: black

help with selling my bike

Post by hagfish »

hi all

I've had my pcx up for sale for about 3 weeks now, someone wants it but they live 4 hours away and said they was coming down but just let me no that they can and have said they will pay the money in to my account and then send a van to come pick it up, is this a scam because who would sign the log book and could he try and get the money back after the bike has gone hope someone can help me
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Re: help with selling my bike

Post by you you »

It's likely to be honest and unlikely to be a scam . Take it you haven't sold anything like this before?

There's no safe way of selling anything and the neersayers will be on soon to make you more nervous. I've never had a problem in 40 years of selling things.

Why not think of a few things that might make things safer.

Cash
Transfer the funds straight into another account
Wait until the cheque clears
Retain the log book until the funds clear etc etc etc
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

When I bought my used Burgman 400, the seller wanted cash in hand before he would sign over the title to the bike. We met at the bank. If you are going to do a transaction that involves cash, meet and do your transaction at a bank, with a witness.

There have been some scams around here that have been not only expensive but dangerous.There was one case in particular that made the news. Someone put an antique Mustang for sale on Craigslist. An older couple called the phone number and talked to the guy who was supposedly selling it. He told them to bring cash when they came to view it because there were others who were interested as well. When they got to the place where the car supposedly was, there was no car. The guy pulled a gun on them, killed them for the cash, dumped their car into the local lake, and when about his business like nothing had happened. However, the older couple had told someone where they were going, and the police quickly pulled the car from the lake and arrested the guy.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 PCX 150
Color: Red

Post by tbln930 »

I buy and sell a lot. I always do it on a cash basis for vehicles and have never had a problem in over forty years. I buy and sell a lot of expensive air guns (1500-2000 USD) via forums and telephone and you have to vet the seller well and then send cash - normally PayPal. Motorcycles, cars, and atvs are always cash or cashier checks. Talk to them on the phone to help verify their authenticity. Normally, you can detect when something is off.
2017 Kawasaki Versys X 300 ABS (Graphite) - 775 miles - Terry Adcox saddle, T-Rex skid, SW-Motech crash bars, Madstad windshield, Givi 30L top case, Ram X-Grip, thermometer, OEM center stand, OEM hand guards

2014 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 ABS Adventure (Candy Daring Red) - 8650 miles - too fast Givi Airflow WS, Givi V47 mount, Givi crash Bars, Givi skid plate, Ravetech GPS mount, USB power outlet, Easter Beaver Fuse box, Denali DR1 LEDs, MondoMoto LEDs, Tool Tube, Zumo 665 GPS, Cobra radar detector, Mobius HD camera

2013 Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS Adventure (Metallic Thunder Gray) - Sold

2013 Honda PCX 150 (Candy Rose Red) - Sold

SECoda/tbln930
yak
Minister of Magic
Minister of Magic
Color: black

Post by yak »

The key to answering your question depends on the manner that the buyers are going to "pay the money into your account". There are 17 different scams involving long-distance (4 hours away) purchases. If they wire money into your account from a bank in their home town, the funds are probably good. Any other payment method is suspect.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

hagfish, where are you located? Please provide this info.

I've sold several bikes without a problem (cars, trucks as well).
His deal does Not sound fishy to me. He's simply trying to figure out the best way to handle the deal for the both of you. Do you have any suggestions for him? Better idea? If so, Tell him.

Does the buyer have his cycle/scooter license? That may have something to do with his arrangements. Or maybe he's afraid to ride the distance especially in traffic and on an unfamiliar scoot. Who knows. He has his reasons. Ask him?

Since the buyer is 4hours away, he's prepared to pay you first and has made arrangements for picking up his new possession. A van will pull up. Okay, as long as his money is in your account or in your hand.

Stay in contact with him, the more you talk arrangements, the better a feel/vibe you'll get from him as a truthful buyer. Trust your gut. If something seems suspicious, outright question him.

Direct deposit, (in the agreed amount) from his bank account to yours, is best in my opinion. The same bank at both ends, even better (ex. Bank of America to Bank of America. In the same house).

Don't know what more to say at this time.
Feed us more info, keep us posted....share your location. Listen to others as well. We all have our own experiences and from different Locations. Cheers and smile! :P
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
pcx man
Regular User
Regular User

Post by pcx man »

Best way is to get cash at the time of pickup. If he has cash to put in your account then he has cash to give you at pickup. Why does he fell he needs to put money in your account? Pay at pickup.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Mel46 wrote:When I bought my used Burgman 400, the seller wanted cash in hand before he would sign over the title to the bike. We met at the bank. If you are going to do a transaction that involves cash, meet and do your transaction at a bank, with a witness.

There have been some scams around here that have been not only expensive but dangerous.There was one case in particular that made the news. Someone put an antique Mustang for sale on Craigslist. An older couple called the phone number and talked to the guy who was supposedly selling it. He told them to bring cash when they came to view it because there were others who were interested as well. When they got to the place where the car supposedly was, there was no car. The guy pulled a gun on them, killed them for the cash, dumped their car into the local lake, and when about his business like nothing had happened. However, the older couple had told someone where they were going, and the police quickly pulled the car from the lake and arrested the guy.

Here we go....this probably isn't going to happen?
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I do have to admit that I had not heard of this type of thing happening prior to that incident. Unfortunately, there have now been additional incidents here which make it impossible to ignore the possibility of something happening to one of the parties involved. Just be careful and be aware.

Why not have the individuals who will be picking up the bike bring a cashiers check, while you bring the bike and title? Both parties bring a witness. Meet in a bank or bank parking lot....some place public.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

pcx man wrote:Best way is to get cash at the time of pickup.
Meet outside bank, get cash paid into your account then hand over keys.
Sorted.
Having been passed dud notes once before, I never trust cash now.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:
Sorted.

Bonus points! At least no one died. Any more like this?
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

you you wrote:
gn2 wrote:
Sorted.

Bonus points! At least no one died. Any more like this?
Ten inches
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by tbln930 »

I say hold their new born baby until the check clears. :P
2017 Kawasaki Versys X 300 ABS (Graphite) - 775 miles - Terry Adcox saddle, T-Rex skid, SW-Motech crash bars, Madstad windshield, Givi 30L top case, Ram X-Grip, thermometer, OEM center stand, OEM hand guards

2014 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 ABS Adventure (Candy Daring Red) - 8650 miles - too fast Givi Airflow WS, Givi V47 mount, Givi crash Bars, Givi skid plate, Ravetech GPS mount, USB power outlet, Easter Beaver Fuse box, Denali DR1 LEDs, MondoMoto LEDs, Tool Tube, Zumo 665 GPS, Cobra radar detector, Mobius HD camera

SECoda/tbln930
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

tbln930 wrote:I say hold their new born baby until the check clears. :P

Sounds too much like baby sitting
tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by tbln930 »

Good point. Keep the baby. lol

SECoda/tbln930