New ride -- Honda Silverwing

The other 2-wheeled contraptions you ride.

Moderator: Modsquad

maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

New ride -- Honda Silverwing

Post by maddiedog »

We missed our old pile of tupperware (Honda PC800) that we used to own last year, so we went out and got another cruising bike. This time, I made my wife pick based on her comfort to encourage us to go riding more often together. Her main complaint about the PCX is that it doesn't fit her badonkadonk (butt), so the main preference was to find something comfortable for her. We're also planning a motorcycle trip up the East coast next spring, and possibly a trip to the West coast eventually, so a bike with good storage, good power, and good maintenance was necessary for us.

I made a list of bikes I was willing to tour on, and we went and sat until we found the perfect one. The below is in no particular order, and is just the bikes I remember us trying off the top of my head...
  • * Honda NC700 - Seat wide enough, but not as much room as we wanted. A bit too expensive. Seat not comfy enough.
    * Suzuki DRZ400 - Seat not long enough, she would have to sit on the topbox.
    * Kawasaki KLR650 - Same problem as DRZ. Way too much ground clearance also.
    * BMW F650GS - She thought it was fugly. I wanted to cry, I think they're gorgeous pieces of machinery.
    * Honda Silverwing - Perfect fit for both of us, much smaller than Burgman, and it's a Honda! :D
    * Suzuki Burgman 650 Exec - Comfy, HUGE, and fun to ride. Her seat was too wide. Maintenance nightmare though...
    * Suzuki Burgman 400 - Same synopsis as above.
    * Vespa GTS 300 - Way too small for 2-up touring. Very nice though, sad to pass this one up.
    * Kawasaki Concourse - She loved it, I loved it. Best of the touring bikes we looked at.
    * BMW R1200 RT - It doesn't get any nicer than this, but despite the features, other bikes were more comfy to sit on.
    * Honda ST1100 - Comfy and nice, but a bit too hefty.
    * Honda NT700 - Passenger footpegs weren't in the right place for her.
    * Yamaha FJR - Comfy for her, but I was superman'ing that ho (look up Soulja boy if you dont get that reference. Actually, don't. You're not missing anything.)
    * Buell Ulyssess - Nice, but too costly. Harley motor anyways, we'd be able to tell when it was out of oil when it stopped leaking it.
So, after our long search, we chose the Silverwing. Craigslist had nothing reasonably priced, and ebay had nothing reasonably priced, so we ended up getting a really good deal on one at a local dealer. It had been traded in and neglected a bit, but should clean up well:
21446.jpg
21446.jpg (81.88 KiB) Viewed 3878 times
We're picking it up on Friday. The out-the-door price on it was $3120 + fees (brought it to about $3500). :D
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: New ride -- Honda Silverwing

Post by gn2 »

Good choice.
I agree with your summing up but...
The Burgman 400 is a whole different kettle of fish to the 650, the 400 is a much simpler design and newer ones are totally bulletproof and astonishingly economical.
Not got as much grunt as the Silverwing though.
What year is it?
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Taz »

Dave yep good summary. Which NC700 version did you try? S X or Integra which is D I think..Is X10 available in US ?
Tristik
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Tristik »

We only get the X in the US I believe.

Nice pick up on that bike! When I was looking for my bike, I saw quite a few used Silverwings for sale but none pricex nearly as low as what you paid.
mad trapper
Regular User
Regular User

Post by mad trapper »

Very nice. Think thats my next bike too.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

mad trapper wrote:Very nice. Think thats my next bike too.

Your not going to steal it are you? :D
TC3
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TC3 »

Good choice Dave ..... bet you are pleased to have such a capable touring bike again.
mad trapper
Regular User
Regular User

Post by mad trapper »

qed wrote:

Of course I am. Look great next to my stolen PCX.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

mad trapper wrote:
qed wrote:

Of course I am. Look great next to my stolen PCX.

Fair enough
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

It's a 2004.

We only get the NC700X here, so it was an NC700X. :)

I haven't ridden it yet, I'll come back with a report on the ride after I get a good, long trip in. :D
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Exciting!! Very nice Dave! Is this the color Candy Red? The seat looks comfie and low too. Good luck with it. I'm happy to hear it fits your new brides badkadonk (oops, I think that's spelled wrong) aaaa.....bum, butt, ask no more ;) but, One more question, how heavy is this baby?
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

It should be around 250kg or thereabouts.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Tristik
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Tristik »

~~
Most of what I saw said it's around 475 pounds / 215 kg dry weight.
~~
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Post by sendler2112 »

Excellent score on the used Wing! Can't wait to hearr all about it. No Kymco dealer near you?
mad trapper
Regular User
Regular User

Post by mad trapper »

Kymco dealer?
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Post by sendler2112 »

mad trapper wrote:Kymco dealer?
The paint must be just about worn off of your question mark key.
http://www.kymcousa.com/
mad trapper
Regular User
Regular User

Post by mad trapper »

What does a Kymco dealer have to do with the Honda Silverwing?
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

I'm only guessing, but it looks like there is a glaring omission from the list in post # 1
It's Kymco.
The Downtown 300 is a simply sensational scooter and the Xciting 500 isn't all bad either.
But neither is as good a two-up touring steed as the FJS600.
mad trapper
Regular User
Regular User

Post by mad trapper »

I dont think the Kymco is in league with the bikes listed. But of course im sure sendler will come up with other things we all should have bought. I think hes a wizard.
mad trapper
Regular User
Regular User

Post by mad trapper »

sendler2112 wrote:
mad trapper wrote:Kymco dealer?
The paint must be just about worn off of your question mark key.
http://www.kymcousa.com/
Theres not even a question mark there anymore, just says "sendler" where the "?" was. Besides i ask you more questions on the other site with your duplicate posts.