Honda MSX125 (Grom)

The other 2-wheeled contraptions you ride.

Moderator: Modsquad

homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Re: Honda MSX125 (Grom)

Post by homie »

jojo87 wrote: just not giving it enough throttle, the exhaust is off putting.
understandable, but for now you might just have to rev and ride the clutch. Embarrassing maybe but only for an hour or so. This will become second nature and one day sooner than later you will wish this whole thread could be deleted LOL.

I cant fire my bike up and blast off in my neighborhood out of courtesy so I roll down the drive, half way down the block, sneak out the clutch in second gear... thump, thump, thump :D
shhhhhhhhhhhh don't wake the neighbors.
jojo87
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2015 Honda MSX
Color: Red

Post by jojo87 »

Just tried it in the garden at 4000rpm and had no issues, no stutter, nothing, so once the weather gets a little better i'll go out and try it properly :-) thanks guys.
jojo87
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by jojo87 »

Thought i'd update this :-)

Still learning to ride the MSX, a lot better than a was before, obviously never being on a manual before, but I can start off with no issues now, upshifting isn't a problem, i've been practising when to downshift lately, went out around normal streets lastnight to do the whole 3rd into 2nd (as the Car Parks I previously practised in weren't that big) but i'm getting the hang of that... i'm still not going out in the day with other vehicles, mainly for safety reasons and the fact I don't want to annoy other road uses quite yet... but yeah... getting there, considering i've never been on one before and never had someone with me to tell me what's what, i've just been going by videos and help on forums...

Currently looking for a rear mudguard though, that goes around the back of the wheel, since putting the tail tidy on.. my £150 Jacket is getting too muddy for my OCD liking! lol also looking for a seat or seat cover too, on the stock seat I don't sit where most people do (at the front of it) as I find it more comfortable sort of in the middle (same with the PCX actually), but most seats i've seen make you sit further to the bar because of the dip in them, i've seen some nice covers which you put on over the stock seat and cover but they're around £50 just for a cover! i'm thinking about it!

I bought a 'windshield' too but it didn't fit, got it from msxaccessories, waited ages, got it, and it was too tight of a fit, it was making the headlight surround bulge out too much where the windshield connected to the headlight surround, but I had a refund for that so got the windshield, crash pegs and cylinder cap for free.... but again, windshield isn't good at all so it isn't on the Bike.

Here is the most recent photo I have of it... I only got 1 crash peg on at the moment as I need to get the back end up and take the whole wheel axle out! (effort lol) but kept the 1 side on due to the Exhaust on that side, but will do that once the weathers better...

I put the new foot pegs on too as the ones I had were nice but with my new RST Boots I couldn't fit my foot under the shifter, so I got another set of pegs which are adjustable and they're perfect now, i'm still getting used to the shifter itself first so haven't used the boots yet as I can't actually feel where the shifter is due to the hard toe on them, but once i'm familiar with the shifter then the Boots shouldn't be a problem.

Total things on it now..... Tyga full system Exhaust, Tyga Tail Tidy with LED Indicators, Belly Pan, front LED Indicators, Crossbar, Grips, Bar Ends, Levers, Mirrors, Carbon Fuel Cap Vinyl, Brake Cylinder Cap, Oil DipStick, Foot Pegs, Crash Pegs, and have some white Honda decal strips which i'm putting on the Belly Pan.

Currently looking for.... Seat or Seat Cover, Crossbar Pad, rear Mud Guard, decent Windshield and a Gear Indicator.
IMG_0631.jpg
IMG_0631.jpg (548.75 KiB) Viewed 4617 times
tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 PCX 150

Post by tbln930 »

Looks good. I would say you FARKLE'd the daylights out of it.
2017 Kawasaki Versys X 300 ABS (Graphite) - 775 miles - Terry Adcox saddle, T-Rex skid, SW-Motech crash bars, Madstad windshield, Givi 30L top case, Ram X-Grip, thermometer, OEM center stand, OEM hand guards

2014 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 ABS Adventure (Candy Daring Red) - 8650 miles - too fast Givi Airflow WS, Givi V47 mount, Givi crash Bars, Givi skid plate, Ravetech GPS mount, USB power outlet, Easter Beaver Fuse box, Denali DR1 LEDs, MondoMoto LEDs, Tool Tube, Zumo 665 GPS, Cobra radar detector, Mobius HD camera

2013 Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS Adventure (Metallic Thunder Gray) - Sold

2013 Honda PCX 150 (Candy Rose Red) - Sold

SECoda/tbln930
dkazzed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: N/A

Post by dkazzed »

Great to hear. When downshifting, pull the clutch in while letting go of throttle, shift down, blip the throttle so it goes up 2k or so from where you were in the previous gear then let go of throttle then let go of throttle, clutch back out while easing throttle back in. It's kinda complicated, but with practice it will become second nature to the point where you can combine steps two to four into one step and do the whole process in a split second.
2015 Honda CB300F ABS
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Was very glad to see you haven't fell off of that pretty bike... was getting worried 8)

This guy does a lot of overkill and dribble but throughout the entire video if you listen carefully you hear the goose just before he drops a gear. That bump of acceleration is nothing more than a second thought, just do it as you clutch (in) quickly and simultaneously with the dropped gear letting the clutch snap back out just as fast as he does. You really can't do it wrong if you commit to it as fast as he does. The worse that can happen is you gear down just a little out of sync and its not smooth so prepare for a jerk until you cordinate. You bump the throttle to bring up the rev as the lower gear will need higher RPM to match your slowing speed and give grace to the whole operation.

homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

One more... this guy has a lot of patience and a REALLY awesome HD cam but I don't think you should be looking at the tachometer while learning this... seems awkward and overthought to be watching anything but the road.

I actually learn something from this irritating guy, I might start saving some fuel on my monster by watching this stuff.

jojo87
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by jojo87 »

Hey, Bike slid out on the wet with stock tyres a week before Xmas, got some City Grip Winters on it now, and replaced some bits that were damaged, but all good now, riding is easier now as well, still getting there but a lot better :-)

Got the Seat on, Mudguard, new front and back Indicators (both now matching), new Foot Pegs as 1 got damaged but gone with all black now instead of the chrome and red I had before, also new Levers as 1 was damaged, Bar End Mirrors instead as I couldn't find a normal set small enough but still easy to see in to, and these ones are perfect! scraped the Grip as well but a black Posca Paint Marker sorted that :-) also went with black Indicator fairings as the 1 red one was damaged, and I prefer the black as the Indicators stand out more :-) urmmm... took the Belly Pan off, and I think that's it so far.... just need to get some decent decals for the swingarm..... the crash pegs wouldn't go on with the mudguard which is a shame so i've taken them off as well, and got a red oil dipstick in too... oh and got red Shock Sox coming.
IMG_1543.jpg
IMG_1543.jpg (1.29 MiB) Viewed 4584 times
IMG_1544.jpg
IMG_1544.jpg (1.39 MiB) Viewed 4584 times
IMG_1199.jpg
IMG_1199.jpg (1.14 MiB) Viewed 4584 times
IMG_1197.jpg
IMG_1197.jpg (1.18 MiB) Viewed 4584 times
IMG_1541.jpg
IMG_1541.jpg (593.22 KiB) Viewed 4584 times
jojo87
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by jojo87 »

Was seeing how many Bikes were out that day....

you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

jojo87 wrote:Hey, Bike slid out on the wet with stock tyres a week before Xmas, got some City Grip Winters on it now, and replaced some bits that were damaged, but all good now, riding is easier now as well, still getting there but a lot better :-)

Got the Seat on, Mudguard, new front and back Indicators (both now matching), new Foot Pegs as 1 got damaged but gone with all black now instead of the chrome and red I had before, also new Levers as 1 was damaged, Bar End Mirrors instead as I couldn't find a normal set small enough but still easy to see in to, and these ones are perfect! scraped the Grip as well but a black Posca Paint Marker sorted that :-) also went with black Indicator fairings as the 1 red one was damaged, and I prefer the black as the Indicators stand out more :-) urmmm... took the Belly Pan off, and I think that's it so far.... just need to get some decent decals for the swingarm..... the crash pegs wouldn't go on with the mudguard which is a shame so i've taken them off as well, and got a red oil dipstick in too... oh and got red Shock Sox coming.
IMG_1543.jpg
IMG_1544.jpg
IMG_1199.jpg
IMG_1197.jpg
IMG_1541.jpg

Jojo. Another crash? Why are you doing this?
jojo87
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by jojo87 »

Haha, only 2, 1 where the Car drove into me, and the other on this MSX was due to the wet floor, a turn and really shit stock Tyres!
wasn't that much damage actually, was surprised, just the bits that stick out... Mirror/Lever/Grip/Peg,
better Tyres on now though which seem a LOT better! everyone I know with a MSX as well have said they changed their Tyres pretty much straight away as the stocks are like hard plastic!
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Nice! look at you... throwing those gears down like a pro. Sorry you had a spill Jojo but the crash list is for scooters only. I really like the little 6 speed Grom, it is 6 right? If I had one and I was only riding street I would move the muffler to the bottom center like the Buell. I haven't see one done with a center mount but I know you like sense of functional symmetry.
Last edited by homie on Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
jojo87
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by jojo87 »

Grom has 4 gears.... and i'm already on your Crash list :-)
I started seeing the Grom on some Motovloggers videos and started to look into them and it's because of them I decided to get a manual at the time I did,
the fact it's the perfect size for me as well I feel more comfortable on it than having something where I can just about touch the floor...
but yep... it's a nice Bike, I don't plan on doing much with it for awhile now, i've bought all the bits I wanted,
I had the Tyres changed though and put the Wheels back on myself but want to get them checked over by a Garage just to make sure they're ok and lined up right etc.
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Post by sendler2112 »

Wish I could get winter tires for my PCX in the USA but nobody carries them.
dkazzed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by dkazzed »

sendler2112 wrote:Wish I could get winter tires for my PCX in the USA but nobody carries them.
Check out Heidenau K58 or K66. Find out which one has sizes for the PCX. For my Vino 125, I'd go with the K58.
2015 Honda CB300F ABS
dkazzed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by dkazzed »

Glad you're ok, Jojo87! Ride safe!
2015 Honda CB300F ABS
ScooteringAbout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by ScooteringAbout »

Good to know your doing okay JoJo.
aka DrewJW
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

jojo87 wrote:Grom has 4 gears.... and i'm already on your Crash list :-)
I started seeing the Grom on some Motovloggers videos and started to look into them and it's because of them I decided to get a manual at the time I did,
the fact it's the perfect size for me as well I feel more comfortable on it than having something where I can just about touch the floor...
but yep... it's a nice Bike, I don't plan on doing much with it for awhile now, i've bought all the bits I wanted,
I had the Tyres changed though and put the Wheels back on myself but want to get them checked over by a Garage just to make sure they're ok and lined up right etc.

Wait until the summer and build up a bit of experience and enjoy yourself. Winter and slimy roads are a really bad time.

Summer and warm roads = fun
jojo87
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by jojo87 »

Yep, my CBT expires in June though, and I wanted to go for my full test in June, so wanted to get the Bike and get good on it before then, otherwise if i'm not 100% in June, i'll redo my CBT again.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Hooligans will always find comfort in motorcycle gangs
taunting the laws of the land
regardless the cubic centimeters

Hard not to like the limited damage one could inflict or receive whilst on a Grom. Perfect for today's Hooligan. Actually if Honda had any understanding of what was to come when they made this bike they would have named it Honda Hooligan :lol: