Honda MSX125 (Grom)

The other 2-wheeled contraptions you ride.

Moderator: Modsquad

jojo87
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2015 Honda MSX
Color: Red

Honda MSX125 (Grom)

Post by jojo87 »

I REALLY WANT A GROM!

I want to start getting on geared Bikes, and I love the look and size of the Groms,
BUT, i've never been on a geared Bike before,
I did my first CBT in 2012 on a 50cc Scooter, and since then have had Scooters
(1 50cc and 4 125cc)

Are gears hard to do/get used to if you've never been on a geared Bike before?
I don't drive either.

A neighbour of mine has a big Yamaha Bike (not sure the model)
but I don't want to practice on something that big/powerful,
the Honda MSX is a perfect size for me as i'm only 5'5,
so i'd rather practice on the MSX than on something big....

I was thinking of buying the Grom and practicing on that until I can do gears,
and if i'm comfortable etc by June/July then i'll do my full test on that.

I've never been hooked on the whole 'gear' thing though,
as my Bike is usually for pleasure, as I work from home so it's good to get out,
so the fact I can sit on an Automatic and just pull the throttle and go.....
but lately i've been badly wanting the Grom and wanting to learn the whole gear side.

Again, never been on a geared Bike before, I don't drive,
I obviously know the gist of things, pull in the clutch to change the gears etc,
but how long would it normally take someone to learn how to ride a geared Bike?
dkazzed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: N/A

Re: Honda MSX125 (Grom)

Post by dkazzed »

Hold your hand out, thumb down pinky up. Imagine your thumb was first and then the subsequent fingers are second third etc. Neutral is halfway between first and second. Tap down to gear down. Pull up to gear up.

At riding school, we were up and going within a few hours. Start with using the clutch in first gear to start and stop until you have that down pat. Do a slow race, even against yourself, challenge yourself to go slower and slower. Learn to feather the clutch to go super slow. Feather, clutch in, feather, clutch in. Going slow is probably the hardest thing about riding.

Trying changing to second gear after and practice that. Going down a gear may be harder because you should blip the throttle to avoid that jerk. Do it til you can do the blip in the time it takes to change gears. Then going to third gear and beyond will be rinse and repeat.

When coming to a stop or even slowing down, tap down to first. Like a thousand times. When you think you're already in first, tap down six more times to be safe. If you're going to go again and don't need to be in first, go up to the appropriate gear.
2015 Honda CB300F ABS
jojo87
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by jojo87 »

Thanks a lot dkazzed.. i've emailed the guy I did my CBT with to see if he does any lessons for geared Bikes at all, will see what he says,
I was going to buy the Bike and practice on my street, and once I got the hang of it a little was going to ride to the nearest quiet Car Park to open it up a little more etc,
will see what the guy suggests first.....
was just out on the PCX and I just love how you pull the throttle and go, but I do want to start getting off 'Scooters' as I gradually in a few years want to be able to ride something a lot bigger.
tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 PCX 150

Post by tbln930 »

I ride with a buddy who has a Grom a lot. They are fun little bikes. Very easy to ride and shift. Sometimes i use my PCX 150 and sometimes my VStrom 650. Either works with the Grom. His top speed in about 60 mph but we rarely go that fast.
2017 Kawasaki Versys X 300 ABS (Graphite) - 775 miles - Terry Adcox saddle, T-Rex skid, SW-Motech crash bars, Madstad windshield, Givi 30L top case, Ram X-Grip, thermometer, OEM center stand, OEM hand guards

2014 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 ABS Adventure (Candy Daring Red) - 8650 miles - too fast Givi Airflow WS, Givi V47 mount, Givi crash Bars, Givi skid plate, Ravetech GPS mount, USB power outlet, Easter Beaver Fuse box, Denali DR1 LEDs, MondoMoto LEDs, Tool Tube, Zumo 665 GPS, Cobra radar detector, Mobius HD camera

2013 Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS Adventure (Metallic Thunder Gray) - Sold

2013 Honda PCX 150 (Candy Rose Red) - Sold

SECoda/tbln930
jojo87
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by jojo87 »

The fastest I go is 50mph so as long as the Grom can get to that without a struggle... i'm going to start annoying myself about it as I REALLY want one, but have to learn all about the gears etc first, so I can't see it being any time soon, but i'm such an impatient person lol
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

jojo87 wrote:how long would it normally take someone to learn how to ride a geared Bike?
Given that you already know how to ride, about two hours tops to learn how to use the clutch and change gear.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
jojo87
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by jojo87 »

Thanks gn2, i'll see if the CBT guy emails back about lessons, if it isn't too costly then i'll do it with him, if they're charging quite a bit then i'll try and arrange for a friend to teach me.
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Post by sendler2112 »

I want a Grom now that I saw this:
https://youtu.be/Zb1JS4DljYo
jojo87
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by jojo87 »

haha im laying in bed at 2:54am playing over the whole gear thing in my head....

sit on the bike... put it in neutral by holding the clutch in and pressing the gears all the way down and half a click up and the N light will show, then the bike can be moved or reved etc and it wont go anywhere....
when I want to go, hold the clutch in, click down to 1st gear, and slowly pull the throttle while slowly letting off the clutch...
move up into higher gears the faster I want to go by letting off the throttle and hold in the clutch while clicking the gears up, and the throttle while letting off the clutch again....
when slowing down... off the throttle and hold the clutch in and click down to 1st and then back up as I go....
if I want to stop, off the throttle, hold in the clutch, down to first, or click to neutral and then into first when I actually go...

is all that correct or have I mixed anything up or missed anything out? only other thing is the brakes, got the lever for the front, and the foot one for the back, I know the bike itself can slow you down, but if needed do I just mainly use the back or a little of both or...?
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

quote="jojo87"]do I just mainly use the back or a little of both or...?[/quote]

Same as the scooter, both together.
Easy way to think about it is right side of the body for the brakes, left side for changing gear.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Oyabun
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: `12,`15,`19
Color: black&black

Post by Oyabun »

A few things came to my mind
- on most bikes easiestito find neutral while still rolling to a stop
- with practice you'll be able to do upshifts without the clutch if you want to accelerate fast - some gearboxes are smoother than others
- the grom only has 4 gears if im not mistaken
- in most if the situations you want to start applying both brakes lightly and when the weight transfers to the front increase front bias
GN' analogy with the sides is good.
dkazzed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: N/A

Post by dkazzed »

I was taught to always be in first gear when stopped at a light. It's a pain because you have to keep your left hand on the clutch while stopped, but when that driver behind you comes barrelling at you with their head down at their smartphone, you don't need that second or two to get yourself in gear in a panic. Second reason is that you keep your right foot down on the brake while your right hand is ready to punch the throttle.
2015 Honda CB300F ABS
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

dkazzed wrote:I was taught to always be in first gear when stopped at a light. It's a pain because you have to keep your left hand on the clutch while stopped, but when that driver behind you comes barrelling at you with their head down at their smartphone, you don't need that second or two to get yourself in gear in a panic. Second reason is that you keep your right foot down on the brake while your right hand is ready to punch the throttle.
Yup, exactly what my US MSF course taught me to do, be ready.....
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

jojo87 wrote:haha im laying in bed at 2:54am playing over the whole gear thing in my head....

sit on the bike... put it in neutral by holding the clutch in and pressing the gears all the way down and half a click up and the N light will show, then the bike can be moved or reved etc and it wont go anywhere....
when I want to go, hold the clutch in, click down to 1st gear, and slowly pull the throttle while slowly letting off the clutch...
move up into higher gears the faster I want to go by letting off the throttle and hold in the clutch while clicking the gears up, and the throttle while letting off the clutch again....
when slowing down... off the throttle and hold the clutch in and click down to 1st and then back up as I go....
if I want to stop, off the throttle, hold in the clutch, down to first, or click to neutral and then into first when I actually go...

is all that correct or have I mixed anything up or missed anything out? only other thing is the brakes, got the lever for the front, and the foot one for the back, I know the bike itself can slow you down, but if needed do I just mainly use the back or a little of both or...?

You haven't missed anything out but you probably need to try it on a motorcycle rather than under a duvet
jojo87
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by jojo87 »

haha yep you're right you you... just as long as I actually know the overall thing first, if I havent missed anything then it shouldn't take me too long to get the hang of it.

I'm guessing nobody on here has got a Grom?
anybody rode one at all?
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

The CBR250R/ 300R, Ninja, R3 are actually a much better value if you want a sporty bike that is capable of highway speeds. But the Grom looks like a blast if a 60 mph top speed will do and it is very light and so easy to handle and learn on.
https://youtu.be/Zb1JS4DljYo
You are worrying to much about the shifting. It is not a big deal since you have already been riding the PCX so you know the ways of the road. A couple hours in the parking lot and you will have shifting figured out.
tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 PCX 150

Post by tbln930 »

On your 2nd day of ownership you will wonder why you thought shifting was a big deal to master. It isn't.
2017 Kawasaki Versys X 300 ABS (Graphite) - 775 miles - Terry Adcox saddle, T-Rex skid, SW-Motech crash bars, Madstad windshield, Givi 30L top case, Ram X-Grip, thermometer, OEM center stand, OEM hand guards

2014 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 ABS Adventure (Candy Daring Red) - 8650 miles - too fast Givi Airflow WS, Givi V47 mount, Givi crash Bars, Givi skid plate, Ravetech GPS mount, USB power outlet, Easter Beaver Fuse box, Denali DR1 LEDs, MondoMoto LEDs, Tool Tube, Zumo 665 GPS, Cobra radar detector, Mobius HD camera

2013 Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS Adventure (Metallic Thunder Gray) - Sold

2013 Honda PCX 150 (Candy Rose Red) - Sold

SECoda/tbln930
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

They have their own following JoJo, http://www.hondagrom.net/forums/forum.php
You could member and find out a lot about Grom straight from the enthusiasts. I think you should first go and borrow someone's manual transmission car because there are some funny first time motorcycle clutch poppers on youtube :)
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

She doesn't have to worry about "popping the clutch" on any of these small bikes. The worst thing that will happen is the bike will stall. At which point you just pull in the clutch and start the bike to try it again.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

sendler2112 wrote:The CBR250R/ 300R, Ninja, R3 are actually a much better value if you want a sporty bike that is capable of highway speeds.
OP is yet to sit a test so is unable to ride anything bigger than a 125 for now.