PCX|Blur|Reflex|SC250

The other 2-wheeled contraptions you ride.

Moderator: Modsquad

Tristik
Regular User
Regular User

PCX|Blur|Reflex|SC250

Post by Tristik »

~~
So, as some may know, I've been waiting quite a few months for the PCX150 here in Wisconsin. So, my eyes have been wandering. I want the community's opinions on the following bikes:

Genuine Blur SS220i (PGO G-Max 220i) - All accounts say this is a flat out awesome bike to ride. It has some issue with it's instrument panel, but Genuine have, from what i hear, been absolutely awesome for customer service. 2 year standard warranty helps.

Used Hond Reflex 250: I've found a few bikes in the general area in the 2500-3500 USD range. My mother has one of these bikes. It is a solid bike with little to no mechanical problems. However, the shear size of the regular reflex has me a bit daunted. My mom's is a sport, and it feels nice, but he regular refelxes, which is all I can find, seem overly bulky. Like they are bigger than they really need to be.

Aprilia Sportcity 250: This is an oddball. There is exactly 1 within 100 miles of me, although I've found brand new (2009's) nationwide for 2900. I'm not a fan of full step-through frames, but the SC's 15 inch wheel's make it look pretty damn nice. On top of that, I've heard these scoots are super low maintenance.

The easiest one to buy would be the Blur. My local shop is an official dealer of Genuine bikes, and they sell a lot of different brands and styles. They are not going out of business anytime soon.

The most appealing alternative is the Aprilia Sportcity 250. It's a nice looking bike, with lots of power, with big wheels. However, this would be a bike I would have to buy and ship. There is nothing close for me to test ride.

I'd like the communities thoughts on these bikes.
~~
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: PCX|Blur|Reflex|SC250

Post by gn2 »

The Honda Reflex would be my choice of those three.
The big bodywork means big fuel tank for long range, lots of storage space under the seat, better riding comfort and better aerodynamics.
If they were available in the UK I would have one sitting outside my house right now.
Far better scooter than a PCX.

Aprilia parts supply is very bad in the UK, I shudder to think how bad it might be all the way across that big ocean.
Italian bikes are notorious for electrical problems.

Genuine will have massive depreciation and build quality will not be as good as the Honda.
That's my $0.02
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Just checked out the reflex on Google, it looks like the PCXs dad.
Tristik
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Tristik »

~~
Yeah, the Reflex is a solid bike. I've seen a few of them and it's biggest negative (for me) is that the bike seems like it's a lot bulkier than it really should be. It's got more of a big cruiser bike look and I'm actually more into something sportier.

I talked to the owner down at the shop today. He told me he had just talked to his Honda distributor this morning and the PCX's are just coming later and later. In June, when I first asked, he said sometime in july. In july he said probably not until august, maybe even the middle of august. After today he said it's looking like maybe the end of august. I'm just sick of waiting and don't want to just finish my first service as the snow starts to drop.

The owner is a big fan of the Blur, and they aren't selling well here. Most people want a traditional style scooter in this area so the Blurs aren't moving. He said he'd cut the price down to 3800 + fees ($200 off) if I wanted to move my deposit into a down payment on the Blur. I'm thinking about it.

Was also looking at a Piaggio Fly 150 he had in the store. It's a really nice looking bike and it's only $2800. But it doesn't have the top speed or the almost sportbike-like feel of the Blur. At a top speed of about 62 MPH, I could never take it on the freeway like I could the Blur (65MPH speed limit around here). Not that I plan on it much, but I'd like to keep the option open.
~~
uploader
Regular User
Regular User

Post by uploader »

If you after a piaggio which is a great make, makers of the vespa,
Then take a look at the X-EVO 125 or if you need some power have a look at the piaggio X10
Tristik
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Tristik »

~~
I went with the Blur. He gave me the discount and got a great rate on the loan for the rest of the bike (3.8%, no additional fees). Payments are gonna be about $105 a month. I pick it up on monday. :)
~~
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Excellent. They look a really good bike. Post some pictures when you can
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

The Reflex is alright... My first scooter that I rode for any decent amount of time was a Reflex, and I blew it up with around 12k miles on it when something went wrong, the engine catastrophically lost power on the highway, overheated, and was died for good. It looked like a grenade went off in the crankcase. I do admit that when I first got it I neglected maintenance some, but I expected far more from a Honda.

It was a fun bike while I had it, but the Reflex was built a bit lower-quality than the PCX. The fairings were much more brittle than the PCX fairings, and the suspension on mine was so shot that the rear wheel eventually wore through the underseat bin. The mounts had actually broken, so my suspension wasn't doing much of anything. The Reflex has about the same storage area as the PCX, just more room to sit, and poorer gas mileage. My Reflex topped out at 75mph with the stock tire, and 83mph with a taller tire off of a Mini Cooper.

I don't know anything about the SC250, unfortunately.

Our Genuine Buddy 125 has nearly 13k miles on it now, so Genuines are certainly durable enough for the price. I've heard a few criticizms of the Blur, but mostly about the speedometer (which you mentioned). They're aircooled, so they're a lot louder and "buzzier" than the PCX or Reflex, but are good and solid. I think you made a good choice by getting one, you probably saved quite a bit of $ over a PCX too. You should have gotten it by now, so post up some pictures! :D

Also, you should register here: http://www.modernbuddy.com/forum/index.html, it's by far the most helpful site for the Blur. I'm registered on there under my old username, Synaps3.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
mad trapper
Regular User
Regular User

Post by mad trapper »

Did you get it from Scoot Jockeys?
Tristik
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Tristik »

~~
Maddie: I signed papers this morning, but it's been raining since I got off of work at 7 this morning. It's supposed to be dry tomorrow morning so all I have to do is go there and drive it home. Well, my mom is going to so I don't have to go on 45+ MPH roads my first time on 2-wheels. Also, why would you think I'd be saving money over a a PCX?

Mad Trapper: Yup, got it from Midwest Action Cycle/Scoot Jockeys
~~
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord

Post by maddiedog »

You'd be saving money because they go for less (at least around here). The Geniune dealer near me will go out-the-door $3500 for a Blur, the PCX usually goes for MSRP + fees ($3800 or more usually) here. It might be different where you are though.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
Tristik
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Tristik »

~~
Yeah, it's quite different it seems, heh. The PCX150 was going to be $3849 out the door, the Blur was about $4200. I assume they are just not selling period down in Atlanta 'cause 3500 is a full 500 off the MSRP price. That's gotta cut through a significant portion of the mark-up.

So, the bike was too tall for my mom to ride. She rides a Reflex and the blur is a good 2 inches taller in seat height. She's already tippy toes on hers. So, I did a few slow laps around the dealer ship's large back parking lot, did a few brake checks, took off at a turn from a stop a few times, then drove the beast home! No issues whatsoever.

I remember when I rode my mom's Vespa 150 about 5 years ago I had no issues on it from the get go. Feels mostly natural. Got the bike up to about 37 indicated on the way home. It had exactly 1 mile on it when I left the store, so I wanted to take it super easy on it. Took another short ride and it now has 21.4 miles on it, hehe. Love it! Hoping to get that first service in before the 3-day holiday weekend in September.

And here she is, with my mom's Reflex in the back:
~~
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord

Post by maddiedog »

Cool! Looks quite nice. Any plans for mods, or are you leaving it stock?

I used to have the same aftermarket passenger backrest your mom has on her Reflex on the Reflex I used to own. Made the ride much better for my wife.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Looks very nice. Touch of Speedfight to it
Tristik
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Tristik »

~~
For mods, I know I'll eventually get a windshield for it, but the one Genuine makes I'm not very fond of. Found a decent PUIG one that is supposed to fit, but we'll see.

I'm debating something for a little extra storage as the Blur has no glove box. Don't really want a gear box as I think it ruins the look of most of the scoots I've seen it on (of any make). If it's fairly quick to take the box on and off,I might get it and only put it on when I'll need it as I won't need it most of the time (the actual accessory rack minus the box looks fine alone). I've read a few other solutions on the modernbuddy forums, so it's something I'll have to look into a little more.

When I get my first service done, I'm going to have them remove the turn signal stalks and plug the originals back in. The tech already said they would do it. All they have to do is put a note in the vehicle's service history. Other than that, the front and back reflectors will be getting removed after I get creative with some some really good reflective tape (suggestions on brands?).
~~
Tristik
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Tristik »

~~
So check this out: Signed papers last Saturday. Got the bike Tuesday. Just went for a drive and went past the dealership. Guess what was sitting out front? Red PCX150. >.<

Kinda bummed about that, but it could have gone either way. I could have still been sitting here in september waiting for one. Way I see it is if I REALLY end up wanting one, I can see what the dealer would do with a trade-in next summer.
~~
mad trapper
Regular User
Regular User

Post by mad trapper »

It took forever for me to get in contact with those guys at Midwest and still never got an answer about PCX availabilty. Just got mine from Desplaines Honda. Those guys were actually great.
We'll have to meet up for a drag race down 120.
Tristik
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Tristik »

Sherm up at midwest flat out didn't know. His distributor couldn't give him a proper answer. It's the main reason I got sick of waiting.
Dragrace!? I don't think our engine break-in would like that much. :P