Bought a new bike on Saturday

The other 2-wheeled contraptions you ride.

Moderator: Modsquad

Animator

Bought a new bike on Saturday

Post by Animator »

Well , I got tired of waiting for the NC700X to arrive here so I went out and bought a 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 650. I wanted to ride in a charity motorcycle ride with Rolling Thunder cycle group for a fundraising ride for my hospital on June 24. So, I bought myself a nice, shiny, new lime green metallic (new color this year) 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 650. I picked it up last Saturday as soon as the dealer opened their doors. Geez what a nice bike for about the same price as the Honda NC700X. The advantages for me are the shorter seat height, 4.2 gal traditionally located gas tank, and the dual front and single rear disc brakes. The totally redesigned engine has way more low and mid-range torque than last year's model. No more high revving to pull away from a standing start. Oh and after the first 600 miles service check, the service interval is every 7,500 miles, with a valve adjustment check every 15,000 miles; not the every 2,500 miles like the PCX.

I still have my PCX and will us it for local trips around town. All in all, a great addition to my PCX 125, which I plan on keeping. This will be my highway/longer distance bike and my PCX will remain to be my daily work commuter. I have about 2,048 miles on the PCX 125 now. The gas I saved in the last year helped to pay for the Ninja. So now I have the best of both worlds.

I got tired of eating the PCX's wind deflector while trying to coax more speed out of it on the rural roads outside of town around here. I've never hit above 62 mph on it (GPS measured, downhill with no wind) and slowed down to around 42-45 mph, even after a 60 mph running start on the steeper hills around here. It's definitely not a safe situation holding up traffic on a two lane road as you gradually lose speed. And speaking of wind deflectors, the Ninja has a 3 position manually adjustable screen that elevates from 30 to 60 degrees.

Total carrying capacity is 441 lbs. for the Ninja and with the 460 lbs. curb weight on the bike, it's much more stable feeling at higher speeds and helps from being pushed around, on the road, by the wind and large trucks. My wife can ride two up with me since it has a 441 lb. carrying capacity.

I had to travel 41 miles away to even get it since hardly an dealers have them here. Wow, this sucker halls major butt! 55 mph is exactly 4,000 rpm in 6th gear on the Ninja 650, with an 11,000 rpm red line. My top speed for the PCX is a big non-issue now, since it's officially relegated to in-town travel only. The Ninja is averaging 50 mpg so far, with 168 miles clocked on the odo, with a bit less than 850 more miles to go on the factory break-in schedule. I expect the mileage to improve as it loosens up. It has already crept up a bit. It fits me like a glove being just the perfect size for me and the acceleration is stunning. It's a total redesign for 2012 and doesn't even resemble last year's the 650R. And it has a "CLOCK", (yes, a clock), in the digital instrument display, two trip odometers, instant fuel economy, average fuel economy and estimated range with a gallon for reserve. There's even an ECO icon that displays when driving and shifting for optimum fuel economy.

The lime green metallic paint is really turning heads and getting lot of complements. Can you tell that I'm really impressed?

Oh, I almost forgot. I saw another PCX, a white one, on the road for the first time ever, in over a year since I bought mine, as I was driving home from the dealer on my brand new Ninja. Go figure...
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: Bought a new bike on Saturday

Post by gn2 »

That metallic green is an old colour, a woman at my work has the older one that colour, it's nicknamed "Shrek".
My own preference would be the older model in Candy Burnt Orange, I think it looks fabulous but I would never buy one because of the maintenance regime.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Fiah
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Fiah »

Not a Honda? Heathen!
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

My next machine is not at all likely to be a Honda, there's nothing in Honda's current UK range which remotely interests me.
Sadly Honda don't do a decent 300cc scooter, only the SH300 which I just can't abide.
Now if Honda put a 300cc motor in an S-Wing 125, or imported the Faze 250 I would definitely be interested.
I won't be changing for a while anyway, so who knows what will be available by then.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
TC3
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TC3 »

The 2012 er6f (ninja 650) is a good looking bike in my opinion. Having test rode the NC700x a week ago I thought it was a nice enough bike and i love the no tank storage. I have since decided the NCx is not exciting enough though. I am not a commuter so not fussed about economy as want to keep PCX for town use. Will be test riding a 2012 model er6f myself among several other bikes . Have fun with your new wheels :-)
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

Awesome, post up some pictures!

50mpg is alright, that should get better as time goes by. A friend of mine gets about 55mpg with his Ninja 650r, and he's not light on the throttle. Really high speed (80+) will kill your mpg though.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
TC3
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TC3 »

I sat on one today before I was going to book a test ride but could not feel comfy with my dodgy elbow. Oh well.....
Animator

Post by Animator »

But then a heavy throttle will kill anyone's gas mileage.
Animator

Post by Animator »

Sorry to hear about that elbow TC3. Is the damage permanent or is there still healing to happen? I hope it improves. Comfort is definitely a major deciding factor.

I read an interesting letter in a cycle magazine here about a combat Veteran who severely injured their back, as a result of combat in Afghanistan. They we in constant pain and figured they'd never be able to ride their Kawasaki Supersport bike again. A funny thing happened though, when they decided to drive it one last time to the dealer to get rid of it, with his wife following in their car for the sullen ride home. His back felt great as his armed we outstretched grasping the clip-ons as he leaned over the fuel tank. Well that was it! He told his wife upon arriving at the dealer, that she could go home and he went off riding some more. He kept the bike and now rides it as part of his "therapy". He said that his back feels much better now, thanks to riding as often as he's able to. How about that? A motorcycle can be a cure for severe back pain.
TC3
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TC3 »

Hi Animator. Damage is permanent as can not fully stretch arm or move all way back towards body. Pain varies but you get used to it and arthritis has set in. Still am lucky I am alive so am happy.
Nice story about the kwak rider by the way. Broke my heart selling my sv650s and thinking I would never ride again but at least I can ride certain bikes again :-)
Animator

Post by Animator »

Sorry to hear that it permanent, but glad you're still able to ride.

I'm battling degenerative arthritis in my knees and ankles, so I know how that feels. I just want to try to ride as much as I can until I'm no longer able to.
TC3
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TC3 »

Animator wrote:Sorry to hear that it permanent, but glad you're still able to ride.

I'm battling degenerative arthritis in my knees and ankles, so I know how that feels. I just want to try to ride as much as I can until I'm no longer able to.
That sucks about the arthritus but you have the right idea to ride till you cant ride no more, enjoy it while you can!
Scottish
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Scottish »

Pictures of the bike or it never happened !! :D