Yamaha's answer to the PCX... the XC155 !

The other 2-wheeled contraptions you ride.

Moderator: Modsquad

JoshM
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015 VStrom 650

Yamaha's answer to the PCX... the XC155 !

Post by JoshM »

http://blog.motorcycle.com/2014/08/28/m ... ification/

The Honda PCX150 may be getting some new competition, as the California Air Resource Board granted an executive order certifying the 155cc Yamaha XC155 scooter.

Available in Asian markets last August under the names Majesty S and SMax. Sporting a fuel-injected 155cc liquid-cooled four-valve Single, the XC155 inherits the styling of larger Yamaha scooters including the 395cc Majesty that was part of the company’s U.S. lineup in 2014.

The engine was newly developed for the XC155, and later introduced on the Yamaha Xenter model for European markets. The radiator and cooling fan are actually mounted on the right side of the scooter, allowing for more spacious footboard.

Yamaha claims an output of 14.8 hp at 7500 rpm and 10.3 ft-lb. at 6000 rpm. The fuel tank holds 2.0 gallons of fuel and Yamaha claims the XC155 gets 94.1 mpg.

The rear suspension uses a horizontally-mounted shock. Yamaha says this design improves mass centralization. A telescopic fork serves front suspension duties.

Other features include LED lighting, 13-inch wheels, and 8.5 gallons of underseat storage space.
dasshreddar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: forzaruckuspcx
Color: black

Re: Yamaha's answer to the PCX... the XC155 !

Post by dasshreddar »

8) looks good, not sure about wheel size..., but I likey!
come on Yamaha where is the XC195. ;)
homey
Regular User
Regular User

Post by homey »

step thro no thanks ...but them rims
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

That's known as the Majesty, here's the 250: http://motocity.tw/menu/Bike/yamaha/201 ... /index.htm
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Urbanfreestyle
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014 (UK)
Color: Black

Post by Urbanfreestyle »

I just vommed on my keyboard :(
The Majesty made me smile though :)
Honda PCX 125 ESP (Black)
Power:11.7 hp @8500 rpm, Torque:12Nm @5000rpm
Mods: LED sidelights, Yoshimura Exhaust

DEAD: 2013 Piaggio Typhoon 4 stroke 125cc (Black)
Power:9.65 HP @8500 rpm, Torque:8.2Nm @7500 rpm
Mods: Malossi Red foam filter, Hex LED Sidelights, Xenon headlights, USB charging port
homey
Regular User
Regular User

Post by homey »

When I was in the Honda/Kaw shop the other day they had something awesome on center stage. Black and white, small, not a twist and go but REALLY a show stopper. I tried to find out more about it but the sales people were busy. You would not be able to walk by this beautiful little Kawasaki if you run up on it and you like little motorcycles. Maybe someone knows what this late model was as it might just be the bigger bike I've been looking for.
Duggle
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013 - 150

Post by Duggle »

Kawasaki's website doesn't show any new little bikes, could it have been the Honda Grom?

homey
Regular User
Regular User

Post by homey »

Duggle I did not see this little guy in the store, I now believe I was stunned by a pearl white 2014 Ninja 300 SE. For 5k I'm glad it wasn't there when I went hunting a small bike as the ninja is very attractive little sport moto.
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Post by sendler2112 »

It looks like you would have to drill the Yamaha to add a wind screen.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

It looks like the fatter sister

Always worth a ride.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Looks like a frickin' Cyclops!
Don't likes it's nose, looks too plasticky, the bars are crowded and yeah, itsa full step on through.
Poohie! My PearlyWhiteN would make that not-so-white XC, (Wazz that mean? Ecstasy? :lol: )
Kiss it's PearlyWhite buns................."From a Distance"
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (41.42 KiB) Viewed 5074 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (65.17 KiB) Viewed 5074 times
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
pcxpower
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: White

Post by pcxpower »

I like it! :D I like the PCX more, but I reckon that it's a nice product, and I like the step-through ;)
2015 Honda PCX 125
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

My favourite step through scooter is the Peugeot CityStar 200

Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I love the look of the Majesty 250! I haven't seen any in the USA so I am betting they are not imported. :-(
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
pcxpower
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: White

Post by pcxpower »

gn2 wrote:My favourite step through scooter is the Peugeot CityStar 200

Yes, it's nice! Some years ago I had a Peugeot Elyseo 125, and it was a great scooter! ;)
2015 Honda PCX 125
kcpcx
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Candy Rosy Red

Post by kcpcx »

Mel46 wrote:I love the look of the Majesty 250! I haven't seen any in the USA so I am betting they are not imported. :-(
I think they are going to be, soon.

http://blog.motorcycle.com/2014/08/28/m ... ification/
'88 BMW R100RT
typhon2222
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2011 PCX 125
Color: Red

Post by typhon2222 »

Two weeks ago I brought home a brand-new Yamaha SMAX (XC155 / Majesty X).

And then, a few days ago, I stumbled across a fantastic local deal on a used 2011 PCX 125 that I couldn't pass up. So broke down and brought it home too.

These last few days have been largely devoted to riding them both, and comparing them.

My verdict..... Well, let me say that I really wanted to like the SMAX. And it does get some things really right, in my opinion, that the PCX doesn't, such as...

* the flat floorboard (not just because it's easier to step into the SMAX, but also because it provides a place to put stuff, temporarily rest things when you're fiddling with gear and moving things in and out of the underseat compartment, etc.);

* the much larger cubby hole in the front fairing (the PCX's glovebox is miniscule, and a pain to use);

* the presence of a bag hook on the front fairing, a tiny item that adds great utility;

* a far more comfortable seat (although I know the new 2015 PCX redesigns the seat, eliminating the hump that was the bane of the earlier models);

* higher speed, of course, than the PCX125 (and, I think, marginally faster than the PCX150, but only by a few MPH);

* standard arrangement of controls, unlike the Honda's insanely irksome idiosyncracy here (why in the name of the immortal gods did Honda switch the position of the blinker and horn buttons on the PCX? It leaves me constantly honking when I mean to indicate a turn -- it's really obnoxious, and absolutely unnecessary; plus both buttons are hard to reach on the PCX);

* bright attention-grabbing running lights below the headlights;

* far far brighter taillights, and brighter braking lights, than the 2011 and 2013 PCX (don't know how the new 2015 PCX stacks up);

* and greater under-seat space, or at least, a more usable configuration of space than what the PCX has.

So why do I still, hands down, prefer the PCX? It all comes down to handling. The PCX handles like a nimble dream to me, while the SMAX feels like a cumbersome tank in comparison. The SMAX is heavier, of course, but I guess it's also a matter of where the weight is concentrated: the Yamaha has a higher center of gravity. Combine that with the scoot's greater weight, and it's a beast for me to wrangle around in my garage. I'm sure guys with big bikes will laugh at me for saying it, but the SMAX is just too big for me to maneuver comfortably. And on the road too, it feels like a tank to me. The handling on the PCX is more akin to my tiny 50cc Metropolitans than it is to the SMAX: quick and nimble like a bicycle.

The PCX also feels much easier to handle at very low speeds (say, when turning out of a parking space) than the SMAX -- and it's more than just a function of its lighter weight. Much of that has to do with the throttle and power transmission. The PCX will start moving forward very gently with a slight twist. The SMAX, in contrast, transmits no power at all, then suddenly leaps forward.

And while the SMAX's seat is more comfortable than my PCX's, it's just too high for me. (I'm only 5'8".) The PCX keeps my butt and legs closer to the ground. Doesn't much matter when you're hauling along. But come stop-and-go city traffic, and it makes a huge difference in my comfort.

There's also the aesthetic factor. Straight from the side I prefer the looks of the SMAX. But from almost every other angle, I think the PCX is the sexier machine. The scale plays a role here too. The PCX's styling seems perfectly matched to its smaller proportions. Whereas something about the SMAX's design seems mismatched to its size. Wish I could be more specific here, but that's the best I can put it.

I haven't given up on the SMAX yet. Hoping that with more riding I'll come to understand how it wants to move, learn to control it, and develop a better feel for the twitchy throttle. But for me, at least, it's no PCX-killer.
SCOOTS
Now: 2013 Honda PCX 150 / 2011 Honda PCX 125 / 2014 Honda Metro / 2014 Honda Metro
Before: 2015 Yamaha SMAX / 2009 Yamaha Zuma 125 / 2006 Yamaha Vino 50 / 2013 Honda Metro

WOOTS
1988 Volkswagen Westfalia full camper
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Post by sendler2112 »

Very interesting to hear from someone who owns both the XC155 and the PCX. This was similar to my position when the CBR250R first came out and I bought one to go along with my 2009 Ninja250. All of the Ninja guys bad mouthed the Honda without ever even riding one while I always preferred the CBR which actually had a better riding position, less vibration, and more usable power.
dasshreddar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: forzaruckuspcx

Post by dasshreddar »

typhon2222 wrote:Two weeks ago I brought home a brand-new Yamaha SMAX (XC155 / Majesty X).

And then, a few days ago, I stumbled across a fantastic local deal on a used 2011 PCX 125 that I couldn't pass up. So broke down and brought it home too.

These last few days have been largely devoted to riding them both, and comparing them.

My verdict..... Well, let me say that I really wanted to like the SMAX. And it does get some things really right, in my opinion, that the PCX doesn't, such as...

* the flat floorboard (not just because it's easier to step into the SMAX, but also because it provides a place to put stuff, temporarily rest things when you're fiddling with gear and moving things in and out of the underseat compartment, etc.);

* the much larger cubby hole in the front fairing (the PCX's glovebox is miniscule, and a pain to use);

* the presence of a bag hook on the front fairing, a tiny item that adds great utility;

* a far more comfortable seat (although I know the new 2015 PCX redesigns the seat, eliminating the hump that was the bane of the earlier models);

* higher speed, of course, than the PCX125 (and, I think, marginally faster than the PCX150, but only by a few MPH);

* standard arrangement of controls, unlike the Honda's insanely irksome idiosyncracy here (why in the name of the immortal gods did Honda switch the position of the blinker and horn buttons on the PCX? It leaves me constantly honking when I mean to indicate a turn -- it's really obnoxious, and absolutely unnecessary; plus both buttons are hard to reach on the PCX);

* bright attention-grabbing running lights below the headlights;

* far far brighter taillights, and brighter braking lights, than the 2011 and 2013 PCX (don't know how the new 2015 PCX stacks up);

* and greater under-seat space, or at least, a more usable configuration of space than what the PCX has.

So why do I still, hands down, prefer the PCX? It all comes down to handling. The PCX handles like a nimble dream to me, while the SMAX feels like a cumbersome tank in comparison. The SMAX is heavier, of course, but I guess it's also a matter of where the weight is concentrated: the Yamaha has a higher center of gravity. Combine that with the scoot's greater weight, and it's a beast for me to wrangle around in my garage. I'm sure guys with big bikes will laugh at me for saying it, but the SMAX is just too big for me to maneuver comfortably. And on the road too, it feels like a tank to me. The handling on the PCX is more akin to my tiny 50cc Metropolitans than it is to the SMAX: quick and nimble like a bicycle.

The PCX also feels much easier to handle at very low speeds (say, when turning out of a parking space) than the SMAX -- and it's more than just a function of its lighter weight. Much of that has to do with the throttle and power transmission. The PCX will start moving forward very gently with a slight twist. The SMAX, in contrast, transmits no power at all, then suddenly leaps forward.

And while the SMAX's seat is more comfortable than my PCX's, it's just too high for me. (I'm only 5'8".) The PCX keeps my butt and legs closer to the ground. Doesn't much matter when you're hauling along. But come stop-and-go city traffic, and it makes a huge difference in my comfort.

There's also the aesthetic factor. Straight from the side I prefer the looks of the SMAX. But from almost every other angle, I think the PCX is the sexier machine. The scale plays a role here too. The PCX's styling seems perfectly matched to its smaller proportions. Whereas something about the SMAX's design seems mismatched to its size. Wish I could be more specific here, but that's the best I can put it.

I haven't given up on the SMAX yet. Hoping that with more riding I'll come to understand how it wants to move, learn to control it, and develop a better feel for the twitchy throttle. But for me, at least, it's no PCX-killer.
8) thanks for the smax info... too bad you didn't get a pcx 150 I would like to here about that comparison to the smax.
How fast will the smax actually go?
I see you had a zuma125... how does that compare to the pcx125 (pcx way faster or about the same?)
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

yes, this is good to know