It's Electric!

The other 2-wheeled contraptions you ride.

Moderator: Modsquad

PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Re: It's Electric!

Post by PCX150Rider »

Maybe somebody already posted this article (10/17) about an Electric PCX but in case they haven't here is a link. I don't remember seeing it before or I missed it. :roll:

https://www.asphaltandrubber.com/bikes/ ... c-scooter/

The thing is the battery cubes take up most of the storage space so it means one has to get a trunk and or saddle bags. :o

One of the big reasons, other than the economic performance, that I like the PCX is because it does have so much storage space in the first place. :D
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Yes, storage is what makes it so great in town. The hybrid version looks more interesting. I dont think it loses that much storage, and you have gas assist to make sure you are not stranded.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: black

Post by Gil »

Mel46 wrote:Yes, storage is what makes it so great in town. The hybrid version looks more interesting. I dont think it loses that much storage, and you have gas assist to make sure you are not stranded.
Mel, I think the Hybrid PCX is more like the Honda insight electric motor assist technology. Looks to me like the "stator/starter" is used to assist the gasoline motor, kind of like a supercharger. Hope they bring it to the US though.

Gil
ImageImage
  • 2013 Honda PCX 150, NCY Variator kit, Dr Pulley 13g Roller weights
  • IRC and City Grip tires, LED driving lights, Coroplast top box, MFR exhaust, Daytona Windshield.
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Post by sendler2112 »

Kymco trying to reinvent the EV with battery sharing.
http://www.motorcycle.com/mini-features ... om20180323
lillypinkjenny
Regular User
Regular User

Post by lillypinkjenny »

sendler2112 wrote:Kymco trying to reinvent the EV with battery sharing.
http://www.motorcycle.com/mini-features ... om20180323
Most folks up on electric vehicle technology I know reckon that hot-swap-stations will be the way to go for electric powered two wheelers.

:D
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

Who owns the batteries? How do you keep someone from ditching a damaged battery and taking a good one? Hot swapping batteries hs only ever been considered in the context of a set of manufacturer owned batteries that the users lease by contract.
lillypinkjenny
Regular User
Regular User

Post by lillypinkjenny »

sendler2112 wrote:Who owns the batteries? How do you keep someone from ditching a damaged battery and taking a good one? Hot swapping batteries hs only ever been considered in the context of a set of manufacturer owned batteries that the users lease by contract.
Yup, that's kinda how it's supposed to work. You lease batteries just like buying fuel but with a flat monthly fee plus what you use.

The safeguard against someone ditching a battery they have damaged is that each transaction is traceable. :)
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Post by PCX150Rider »

There is still research being done on low energy nuclear power devices. . .what used to be known as "Cold Fusion".

If scientists could come up with a small "benchtop" size reactor (if you will) for vehicles. . .and one small enough to power scooters and motorcycles. . .and produce long range distance capabilities. . .with no negative effects to human health. . .oh what a wonderful world this would be. :geek:

Not sure if we will be around when they do but as they say "Long Live Rock"! :lol: ;) 8)

sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

Practical fusion electricity falls firmly into the camp of can't happen with the rest of the Star Trek futures. Especially a breadbox sized reactor for personal transportaion vehicles. Even the mighty ITER is already obsolete and it hasn't even really been run yet. All that money wasted.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Yer pushing uphill here Jenny :lol:
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

sendler2112 wrote:Who owns the batteries? How do you keep someone from ditching a damaged battery and taking a good one? Hot swapping batteries hs only ever been considered in the context of a set of manufacturer owned batteries that the users lease by contract.
Autonomous vehicles are being developed because big business wants to eliminate staffing costs, no drivers = no wages to pay.
Once big business works out a way to persuade people they don't need to own their own vehicle.....?
Be in no doubt, big business can make people think just about anything (just look at the attitude to firearms in the USA for example)
Once people are persuaded that its beneficial to not have to worry about owning, maintaining and driving their own vehicle, guess what happens...?
Its starting to happen already, more and more people are turning to long term leasing rather than purchasing their cars.
Companies like Uber will be happy to play their part in the process of replacing personal vehicles with communal ones, they stand to make billions from it.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

Autonomous ride hailing is a much more efficient use of resources than personal ownership of a car and will replace busses with fixed routes also. And eliminate a vast percentage of urban parking lots. A complete disruption of several lucrative private businesses. Another instance of robots taking our jobs. Inevitable.
lillypinkjenny
Regular User
Regular User

Post by lillypinkjenny »

PCX150Rider wrote:There is still research being done on low energy nuclear power devices. . .what used to be known as "Cold Fusion".

If scientists could come up with a small "benchtop" size reactor (if you will) for vehicles. . .and one small enough to power scooters and motorcycles. . .and produce long range distance capabilities. . .with no negative effects to human health. . .oh what a wonderful world this would be. :geek:
No need for nuclear, all that is needed is a small enough power plant to run an on board generator. Power to drive will be provided by electric motors.

A bio-fuel small jet engine spinning a conventional dc generator would do it. A fuel efficient bio-fuel internal combustion motor would do it, too. When all the motor has to do is drive a generator things lke flexibility, torque curves and everything that makes a convemtional engine "nicer" to push the vehicle forward cease to matter. Drive characteristics can be computer controlled through the electric drive motors.

Note, I said motors (plural) because we'll be looking at 2 wheel drive bikes when that happens, too.

For pure electric power, ie non hybrid, hot-swaps are going to be the way forward unless battery technology accelerates at an unprecedented pace. :)
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Hydrogen fuel cell please. ;)
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

fool cell. Very inefficient, expensive, trouble prone, and short lived. Not to mention any way that you can make Hydrogen would be better to just use that energy for motion in the first place.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

sendler2112 wrote:Not to mention any way that you can make Hydrogen would be better to just use that energy for motion in the first place.
In Aberdeen we have hydrogen vehicles which indirectly use energy from the wind.
Good luck getting a land yacht under low bridges :lol:
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

Much more efficient and cheaper to just put the wind electricity into batteries. As long as we have (fossil fuel) access to the raw materials for batteries.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

The batteries will need to be air-tight to keep the wind from leaking out... ;)

My favourite eco-vehicle is the poo bus.

dgnyberg
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Black

Post by dgnyberg »

Mining for lithium is not as environmentally friendly as people think.
Bill Nye isn't a scientist, he is a mechanical engineer.
His ideas regarding science would be like a biologist welding together the frame of your scooter.
Autonomous Vehicles will not replace personal vehicles except maybe in urban areas.
There is way too much rural area in the USA to make autonomous vehicles practical.
You would have to change the whole attitude of all the motorheads in the USA.
I, personally, prefer the wonderful smell of the racing fuel that I get to use sometimes.(Kind of Grapey)

Now, with regard to Hydrogen, I have experimented with hydrogen as a fuel additive through the vacuum of a vehicle.
It has the ability to increase mileage quite significantly.
Unfortunately, the emission/computer system of the vehicle has to be "fooled" to make Hydrogen work.
Because one of the bi-products of burning hydrogen is oxygen, the O2 sensor senses the extra oxygen in the exhaust.
This added oxygen makes the O2 sensor think the engine is running too lean.
The computer modifies the air/fuel mixture and enriches the mixture causing the vehicle to run horribly.

Now, using hydrogen in pre-computer/emission control vehicles will actually function very well and provides good results.
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Post by GeorgeSK »

Saw this today: https://electrek.co/2018/06/01/onyx-new ... -bicycles/

If they can make the high power version at the price, it would be pretty amazing. It would do the job that my PCX is doing for me right now (assuming that it could do 50 miles at 40-50 MPH).
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)