Ride impressions

The other 2-wheeled contraptions you ride.

Moderator: Modsquad

Fiah
Regular User
Regular User

Ride impressions

Post by Fiah »

Hey guys, my PCX had its valves adjusted and oil refreshed, and in the mean time I had a Honda S-Wing 125 as a loaner. I wanted to share my impression of it somewhere, so I thought I'd kick off a ride impressions topic :P

So, did you for some reason ride on something other than your PCX and feel the need to share? Go ahead!

As of the S-Wing, I found it very comfortable. It's definitely larger and roomier, and it has better protection against the elements. I don't know if it had the stock screen (sure looked like it), but it provided more protection than the Givi 322ST I have on my PCX. The turbulence at speed was no better though, but at least I could duck behind the screen a bit.

The suspension is also a bit better overall, and with the added weight, it made for a relaxing ride. Top speed was an indicated 115km/h (71mph), at ~9500rpm. I have to add that a tachometer must be about the most useless addition to a scooter :lol: The mirrors are better positioned, but in the dark + traffic, the vision wasn't much better than on the PCX, if at all. Everything looked so far away!

Anyhow, after getting my PCX back, the PCX felt very light and nimble in comparison. And for what it's worth, it also felt faster in straight up acceleration. Overall I'm still very happy with my PCX, my ~140km ride on the S-Wing didn't change that. I'd love to have the ABS of the S-Wing, but the rest of the value proposition (along with the higher fuel consumption) doesn't quite add up for me.

maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Re: Ride impressions

Post by maddiedog »

I've ridden a whole lot of other bikes and scooters. My other scooter right now is a Genuine Buddy 125.

The base MSRP of the Buddy 125 is far less than the PCX, but the extra money for the PCX is worth it in my opinion. The Buddy 125 is aircooled and carbeurated, whereas the PCX is watercooled and fuel injected. that means the PCX is quieter, quicker, and more efficient --the Buddy gets around 85mpg, and the PCX around 95mpg. Both top out at roughly 60mph, but at any speed over 40, the Buddy's response is much more squirrelly, due to a shorter wheelbase, smaller tires, and cheaper suspension components.

Don't get me wrong though -- I love my Buddy. But, the Buddy feels more like a common economy car. The PCX feels more premium. The fit, finish, ride, and sound is much more refined.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes